NYB Chronometer to oil press gauge conversion.

I'm late reading this thread, so you can all line up to shoot me afterwards.

Two things:

1. Excellent job of adapting the aftermarket oil pressure gauge into the NYB cluster, but why wouldn't you have just scammed an oil pressure gauge from an Aspen/Volare cop car setup? It's a plug in substitute for the clock..........

2. It's very worthwhile to keep the `idiot' light oil pressure gauge instead of substituting the gauge for it. Why? The switch for the light is a simple on/off setup that's set to a specific value. It causes the light to come on before the oil pressure drops to zero and gives you a chance to shut the engine down before something gets damaged. The sending unit for the gauge sends 5 pulses/second to the gauge and the gauge itself averages the pulses to give you the reading on the gauge. It does not react anywhere nearly as quickly as the light does. So as distasteful as the light is, it's worth keeping.

Why shoot you? Legit questions.

I'm late reading this thread, so you can all line up to shoot me afterwards.
Two things:
1. Excellent job of adapting the aftermarket oil pressure gauge into the NYB cluster, but why wouldn't you have just scammed an oil pressure gauge from an Aspen/Volare cop car setup? It's a plug in substitute for the clock..........
Because NOW you tell me...
facepalm.gif

But most likely, had I even considered that, what are the odds of finding one? Probably zilch. Plus I would most likely have to buy the whole instrument cluster ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).
...So as distasteful as the light is, it's worth keeping.
Plus I like redundancy...

Last edited:
There've been a bunch of these gauges show up on ebay, NOS. Havent' had to buy a cluster yet. I have one for most of my cars. I "think" Arizonaparts.com has one or two.

You'll get the same results with one waterboarding session.

At least it makes more sense than on a floor shift console.

Back