O MY

Checking the web for the D-G-E emblems needed for the hood, but coming up empty.
Anyone have a these in your parts stash.

20240914_162652.jpg

Checking the web for the D-G-E emblems needed for the hood, but coming up empty.
Anyone have a these in your parts stash.

View attachment 683451
The 61 Dodge letters are difficult to locate. Most used ones will have pitting / faded chrome.
Also note that the "center D" on the hood is unique, has a separate part number and does NOT interchange with the other "D"

What are you looking for, driver quality to match what's on the car or really nice ones ?
I probably do not have a complete set but have several individual NOS 1961 Dodge letters available. Send a PM if interested or you're looking for other 1961 Dodge station wagon parts.

I've sometimes wondered about the potential of making hood letters (or simple emblems) out of aluminum on my CNC router.
The OEM font could be duplicated, or something else if desired.
There'd be no way to duplicate the pins/studs, though, so they'd need to attach with small #2 or #4 stainless screws. (allen flatheads)
That would mean the screw locations would need to coincide with the holes in the hood - and there's no guarantee that the screw location would fall in a 'fat' part of the letter where it would fit.
A piece of paper can be taped into place and fingernail-rubbed to get the hole locations, then scan that into a PDF to get into CAD.
Then the available letters can be poked thru the holes, traced around, and that gets scanned next.
Overall, a bit of a reverse-engineering project, but it could be done.
Fortunately, I'm not missing any letters.

@sixpkrt
The D in the center - is it flat or does it match to a peak in the hood?

I didn't know the 2 D's were different until mentioned by SpaceWagon.
The wagon is at a temporary storage location currently so I can't confirm how the middle D is positioned.
I'm pretty sure the back side is relatively flat.
As far a making your own, its a good idea, as long as you have a sample to duplicate.
If the difficulty for placement of the pins in the back of logo is an issue, an option would be to use 3M 2 sided tape, just like what is used on new cars today.

Good idea on the tape, I forget that there are good products out there.
A wooden template could be routed out that the letters fit into to help with alignment.

Back