Oil pressure problems

Daniel Romero

Reaction score
IMG_5587.JPG

So, I went on a journey yesterday and put on about 250 miles. I got back home and I was stopping at 7-11 for a drink. As I'm turning into the parking lot, my OIL light flips on for an instant and then turns off. Today, I'm going to the grocery store and again, as I'm pulling into the parking lot, the OIL light comes on again and stays on for a few seconds and then turns off. I just checked my oil last week and it was fine but I have been noticing a leak underneath.

Do you think my oil pump is going out? Is it a sensor/relay? Where would the sensor or relay be located? I have a 1973 Plymouth Fury with a 400 big block and a two-barrel carb. The car just turned 80,000 miles this week and is all original.
Any advice would be appreciated. I have no money to go to my mechanic right now so I'm hoping I can fix it myself.

Your pressure sending unit should be at the back of the block behind your intake manifold. It could easily be going out.

I would use a real oil pressure gauge to test it even a cheap one from AZ will do the trick

Also check the block under the sensor for oil. These sensors often have an internal leak which will cause oil to drip out of the sensor onto the block. If so, you sensor is shot and needs to be replaced. An oil leak inside the sensor also prevents the unit from working properly and can result in the idiot light going on inappropriately. As mentioned in the previous post, also a good time check the oil pressure with a gauge.
Oil pump failures on the 400 are rare, a more likely culprit would be a pickup screen clogged with debris from a failing timing chain. You can check the timing chain by removing the distributor cap, then rotate the crankshaft back and forth to see if the rotor moves with the crank. If there is more than 8 to 10 degrees lag before the rotor moves with the crank, your timing chain is likely bad. Hope this helps.

Oh wow! I just checked my oil and I'm over two quarts low! I topped it off but it's bleeding out pretty heavily from or around the oil filter. I'm hoping it's just a bad filter. Anything else it could possibly be? It looked to be pooling and dripping right off the filter.

Most likely a bad filter, check to see if it is on tight. If it is, replace the filter Fram PH8A or equivalent. You will need to add 1 quart of oil if you change the filter. If you had the car serviced at a shop, do not go back!

Oh wow! I just checked my oil and I'm over two quarts low! I topped it off but it's bleeding out pretty heavily from or around the oil filter. I'm hoping it's just a bad filter. Anything else it could possibly be? It looked to be pooling and dripping right off the filter.
I'd say clean off the filter and the pump, top it off, tank the sender unit and check your pressure with a hand held unit while figuring out there the leak is coming from. If it's coming from the mating surface between the filter and the filter mount on the pump, it's likely the filter. If it's coming from anywhere else around the pump, you'll need to rebuild or replace the pump.

Judging by your intermittent oil light, I'm kinda leaning towards the pump especially if you note no seepage from the sender unit.

At any rate, it's a good time to go through your entire oiling system. It's the last thing you want to fail.

Good luck man!

Two quarts low will do it..

A Fram filter was suggested... I suggest you read this before buying a Fram "filter". They aren't what they used to be.

Engine Oil Filter Study

I usually use a NAPA Gold or a Wix filter.

Wix makes the Napa filters, the Gold is the same as the Wix, they also have econo filters in the Napa line also made by Wix. You want the Gold.

Wix makes the Napa filters, the Gold is the same as the Wix, they also have econo filters in the Napa line also made by Wix. You want the Gold.
This is what I use on my cars, spendy but not a place to scrimp. I can't afford their big truck oil filters anymore but I did get 800,000 miles but $68 for a oil filter is too much.

Most likely a bad filter, check to see if it is on tight. If it is, replace the filter Fram PH8A or equivalent. You will need to add 1 quart of oil if you change the filter. If you had the car serviced at a shop, do not go back!

You don't ever want to use a Fram filter. . .

Back