Our land boats, barges and bulldozers

This pic was my downfall. As soon as I saw that on ebay I knew that car was coming home to papa.

bvh47.jpg
That's what's known as the clincher!
I just tried firing up the old desktop and it seems my keyboard is unresponsive so I won't be pulling any pics off of it until I get a replacement. For now I'll edit the post and add an Imp pic.

This pic was my downfall. As soon as I saw that on ebay I knew that car was coming home to papa.

bvh47.jpg

I'm still trying to get through your history. From what I gather, you gave up a white 4 speed for this one. I'm sure the clincher was that beautiful young lady just waiting to jump up on that hood for a more telling picture.

Sheeesh. You don't give up, doll.
My Story
Part I
When I was about 5, my bedroom was on the third floor. I was able to get it open and I crawled out and hung by my hands. My mother down on the ground chit her panties, ran up and dragged my butt inside. Opening new windows and and hanging in there was my destiny.
As a kid I tried to draw cars. I did the typical stick figure thing.
2lv1c8o.jpg

After a while, something inside me kept telling me it didn't look right, so I kept perfecting my technique but it still didn't look right.
o5184y.jpg

Then when I was 8, my grandfather came home in a new '57 DeSoto.
v654jk.jpg

I never was the same again.
I stared and stared at that car when it was parked and studied it like crazy to understand why what I was doing wrong.
And it dawned on me. Proportions. The first thing I picked up was the A piller and where it intersected behind the front wheel.
2m6wo45.jpg

I was now on a roll.
24n43yx.jpg

Fin era Chryslers was now the standard for all my appreciation of automotive style forever.

To be continued.
(Marian: you'll have to keep prodding me every other day or so...

Then when I was 8, my grandfather came home in a new '57 DeSoto.
I never was the same again.
I stared and stared at that car when it was parked and studied it like crazy to understand why what I was doing wrong.
And it dawned on me. Proportions. The first thing I picked up was the A piller and where it intersected behind the front wheel.
2m6wo45.jpg

I was now on a roll.
24n43yx.jpg

Fin era Chryslers was now the standard for all my appreciation of automotive style forever.

To be continued.
(Marian: you'll have to keep prodding me every other day or so...
Proportion?

My testimonial .................... Even though my Dad and Brother were primarily GM guys, I have to credit them for my love of big Mopars. Mainly because of a 1959 DeSoto my brother had, and a 60 Plymouth my father bought as a second vehicle that later became my first car.........
My very first car at 14 was a 1960 Plymouth 2 door Savoy sedan with a 318 manual that my uncle bought new. My dad bought the car in 1968 and I got it in 70. Second and third were a 61 Dodge Phoenix and 59 Plymouth Suburban bought for $35 as a package deal. The original price was 50 for the Dodge, but the guy said he would take 35 if we took both cars off his hands...... Then came a 62 Chrysler 300, 64 Dodge Polara, 7 and 8 Ambassadors, 68 Rebel. After that, I went to the dark side (Pontiac) for a couple of years and had a 65 Bonneville hardtop, 66 GTO, 66 Lemans Sprint (X2). This takes me up to 1974 (I went through a lot of cars in my early days... traded constantly). I joined the military and could afford a higher, newer class of automobile and bought a really nice, low mileage 71 Fury Gran Coupe. That turned into a 71 Dodge Polara, then I traded the GTO even up for a 1969 300 Convertible and the 71 Polara for a 69 Newport. For several years, I owned the two 69 Chryslers, then in the late 70's I entered the dark ages where my transportation consisted of numerous nondescript piles of steel and plastic that were called cars throughout the 80's and 90's... I bought a 55 Pontiac 2 door Wagon in 1982 and that kept my old car cravings satisfied off and on for 20 years. The Pontiac was fun, but it was not a big old Mopar like most of the great cars from my youth.... I sold the Pontiac on Ebay in 2004 and ended up buying a MG that again kept me satisfied for a while. Rhumatoid arthritis struck a few years ago, and I couldn't drive the MG any more so,, again a car was sold.. on the plus side, both the Pontiac and MG were sold for considerably more than they were bought for (a phenomenon that most C bodies don't enjoy). I then decided that I wouldn't get another car until I could find a very nice C body or 7 Ambassador Convertible...... After keeping an eye on regional classifieds for several months, I found the current 65 Newport for sale in South Dakota. Went and looked at the car, and drove it home that day... that's the story so far.... Numerous cars have been left out, especially ones made after Jimmy Carter was president, in the interest of brevity and order to protect the innocent...

Stan has his moments of brilliance.

I'm looking for the jack handle sticking out from under the front end of that car. Was she changing the oil?

Kinda the same with me, just not in the "good old days"

My grandfather (dads dad) worked for chrysler as an engineer/designer his whole life. Believe it or not, the first chrysler to leave an impact on me was a K car. My grandpas last car, an 80's 4 door light blue lebaron. I loved that car as a kid. I remember vividly the very distinct smell of the heat, and the door ajar warning system on the dash. My grandfather passed away when I was 6/7 years old. My Dad inherited the car to use as a 2nd vehicle. Also to be keep for my 1st car when the time came. Dad ended up giving it to a mechanic at work, and he took the motor out, and scrapped the body... I was soo mad at him for that!!

My father worked as a service writer for various chrysler dealerships throuhgout my childhood. I grew up in the chrysler dealers. Most of the same guys went to the different dealers, so we were kind of a small family together. The guys would always take me out in the vipers, and such, and we would go have fun with them on their lunch breaks. It was a blast!

Fast forward to 2005- My grandmother (moms mom) passed away. She left me a good sum of $$ for a young teenager. Its no secret I like star cars. As a kid I always wanted the "general lee". That was not going to happen! This is when car prices started to sky rocket, so no 69 charger for me. I ended finding a '75 coronet 4dr on ebay, out in WI. I figured "well I can't have the general, so maybe roscoes cop car?" We went and picked it up. Man what a pile that car was! But I loved it!! Ended up sinking a ton of $$ into it, only to find out the frame was trashed!

I found the monaco for sale towards the end of the coronet. My folks helped me out, and I got it. I brought her home on a cold MI winter night. On the way home, after the car had warmed up I had the heat blasting. It had the exact same very distinctive smell, as the lebaron did. I had an instant connection with the car.

Part 2
One Christmas morning I awoke to a bicycle I wanted more than anything in the world. By afternoon dinner, I had it fully disassembled what took my father..., er Santa, 4 hours to assemble the night before. I was a natural taker-aparter.

At around 12 years of age, I would read car mags, articles, brochres... whatever I could get my hands on. And I had no idea what I was reading about. I did not know how an engine worked. So I went to the library and found this book published in 1947:

$_57.JPG

I read it cover to cover several times using it as reference for when I read in Popular Mechanics articles like this.
"compression ratio" What's a compression ratio? What does it do? Why?

ru8i04.jpg

Finally, armed with a little bit of knowledge because I read a book once, and seeing as how I was lawn maintence manager, I decided to "hot rod" our lawn mower by disassembling it and raise the compression ratio with a flat file.
My father had to buy a new lawn mower.

Next in Part 3: The wolf whistle.

I can relate to the bicycle and car mag part; still got most of it around here.

I think my story was pretty much complete except for some pics trapped in my old desktop, what else do you want to know???

Wow Stan I sort of went the same route with mower, but I guess my dad got lucky that I scammed a old toro from my cousin and all he had to do was haul it home and it kept his from the ravages of my wrenching. That old toro caught on fire a few times and even broke the connecting rod because the piston banged the head when it got hot because I filed block and head down so much to raise compression.

I edited again and added the pics of my first Charger and the "as found" pics of my Imp..

Growing up I spent lots of time in the back seats of big Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth cars. My dad either bought them personally or had them as company cars. One particular car I remember was a 1966 Plymouth Fury. It was a 4dr stripper sedan. When I was about nine or ten yrs old my dad came home one evening after work in a bright yellow, black top 70’ Dodge Polara sedan. The car was actually for my mom to drive because dad was driving a 63’ Plymouth Fury and then 65’ Dodge Coronet at the same time.

Since then I’ve has a succession of C body cars over time.

1971 Plymouth Sport Fury
1970 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron
1973 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron (got away -- was a freaking mess anyways).

Currently own a 1970 Chrysler Newport. Although I like most large body Chrysler automobiles from each era, I particularly admire the “Fuselage” design/look cars that were built between 1969 and 1973. There was little if nothing on the road at the time that looked like them. It was all Chrysler. The design made the big cars look low and swift in my eyes.
I know its not a c body car, but it was my first wheels, a 1972 Dodge Charger SE...my dad and I found it on a used car lot, and bought it for me...this Charger is what kicked things off for me and Chryslers.

1972 Dodge Charger SE 03.jpg

Back