Popping through carb.

carguy300

Reaction score
Well I got fuel line hooked up, gas to carb. Tried cranking up the 300, almost tried one time, now its popping back through the carb. Acts like timing?, car has not run probably 15 years. All ignition is new. Carter carb new. Charging components new. Set the points, has good spark. Going to recheck firing order. Anything else I might check? Timing chain, gear new. I know that is timed correctly.Maybe lifters need to pump back up? I am worried about the dreaded BACKFIRE!! Any other suggesstions I might double check?

I'd bet $0.25 that the ignition is 180° out
Pull the #1 plug, rotate the engine and stop when your finger is pushed off the spark plug seat, pop off the distributor cap and confirm the rotor is pointing to #1
if it is at #6, pop the distributor out and turn it 180°.
put the damper to 10° BTDC and adjust the distributor to just start oepning the points or if electronic, the comutator point right at the pickup.
My $.02

When I pulled the timing cover and checked chain, I found that found someone had it timed 180 out. I made sure when I went back with new gear/ chain I set up per the manual, but I am going to recheck it tomorrow. I had both marks lined up, # 1 piston up on TDC and reinstalled dist at #1. Maybe I missed something.

When I pulled the timing cover and checked chain, I found that found someone had it timed 180 out. I made sure when I went back with new gear/ chain I set up per the manual, but I am going to recheck it tomorrow. I had both marks lined up, # 1 piston up on TDC and reinstalled dist at #1. Maybe I missed something.

:rofl:
Sorry but if it's 180 out you just turn the crank one revolution and it will be in time straight up. Just check to make sure the distributor rotor is lined up with #1 plug wire.

Back