RAMP Trucks: They do intrigue me as an option. But...

38729536_1881074248860527_5304325550188265472_n.jpg
38729536_1881074248860527_5304325550188265472_n.jpg

How would you get out of the car? I guess it wouldn't be that bad after it's raised and the fenders are off/rotated away. I like that nice low drive on angle, love to have a trailer that could get that low and still be useful, and easy to get in/out of the vehicle.

This would be the "crème of the crop" for moving Imperials.
View attachment 205272

That truck used to belong to NASCAR driver/owner Cotten Owens. It's for sale in OKC. Very nice rig!

Problem with ramp trucks is that many insurance companies won't touch them unless it's used as part of a business, then you get to be raped on premiums because you're a business. You'll get the little car lot that uses one to fetch cars at the auction, and the occasional race car guy, but that's it. Plus, no commercial operators run these, they all run rollbacks. Cool to have, but too little practicality and too much hassle.

It must be front wheel drive too.

Kevin
Good eye, I just noticed that after you mentioned it. Could be a 4wd truck only running the front drive shaft, wouldn't be very efficient though. Maybe it has a Toronado drivetrain.

Good eye, I just noticed that after you mentioned it. Could be a 4wd truck only running the front drive shaft, wouldn't be very efficient though. Maybe it has a Toronado drivetrain.
I'd have rather had it built from the Toronado...

I'd have rather had it built from the Toronado...

Looks like it's got 8 lug wheels so it's probably a 3500. That would be a trick to splice a Toronado or Eldorado into.

It might also be a matching truck and trailer that has been Photoshopped. It just looks a little weird at the back of the cab.

Kevin

That's not the back of the cab.
That's the nose shield of the truck bed. Yes?

I was looking at the middle pic. The cab shield of the bed doesn't quite look square to the cab. Like if the truck and trailer weren't quite straight when they snapped the pic to Photoshop it. On second thought that's a lot of work to Photoshop 3 different pics.

My vote is 4x4 with the transfer case locked in 4 hi.

Kevin

There is a guy in Springdale, Arkansas that builds these. I've seen a few of them in use over the years, so I'm assuming they do their job. The trailer portion is bagged. No ramps required, plus the deck raises high enough to get a car door open. Neat rigs! Not photoshopped.
I'm assuming that he starts with a 4WD and it becomes a FWD?

Check out Mike Finnegan's you tube channel, he own's the Roadkill ramp truck and swapped in a Cummins with some help, they didn't leave it stock.
Finnegan's Garage

Back