Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

My advice is to make photo copies of the FSM wiring diagrams, that way you can mark wires etc while you work.

At least that's how I do harnesses following the KISS method..

You're really making me want to work on my Ragtop, I've had it 12 years in August.
Yes, that’s a great idea, especially since the FSM shows diagrams that include accessories that I don’t have like power locks and a console. Following the wires by sight gets real confusing fast.

I was just thinking about your convertible the other day. I started working on mine about the same time, I was sure you were going to be finished before me. Hobbies always take a backseat to all the other everyday needs like working, lol.

Does anyone have a favorite harness tape they want to recommend? I just ran out of the 1 inch shiny non-stick vinyl tape I had been using for behind the dash and I can’t remember where I got it from. I’d like to get cloth tape for the trunk harness, it’s currently a woven tube like material that is falling apart.

Here is the power window harness re-taped and ready to go. I originally thought it got tucked behind the dash, but it actually crosses under the seats and then doubles back to the hinge pillar through to the doors.

IMG_2702.jpeg

Also, what would you call these, and does anyone know a vendor than might have them? They screw to the floor and hold the harness down under the carpet.

IMG_2704.jpeg

Yes, that’s a great idea, especially since the FSM shows diagrams that include accessories that I don’t have like power locks and a console. Following the wires by sight gets real confusing fast.

I was just thinking about your convertible the other day. I started working on mine about the same time, I was sure you were going to be finished before me. Hobbies always take a backseat to all the other everyday needs like working, lol.
Life, especially career and family tend to get in the way and slow things down.

My wife and I are currently trying to buy another house with some land and hopefully a shop big enough to work comfortably in. That will immensely expedite my backlog of projects

Does anyone have a favorite harness tape they want to recommend? I just ran out of the 1 inch shiny non-stick vinyl tape I had been using for behind the dash and I can’t remember where I got it from. I’d like to get cloth tape for the trunk harness, it’s currently a woven tube like material that is falling apart.

Here is the power window harness re-taped and ready to go. I originally thought it got tucked behind the dash, but it actually crosses under the seats and then doubles back to the hinge pillar through to the doors.

View attachment 668717

Also, what would you call these, and does anyone know a vendor than might have them? They screw to the floor and hold the harness down under the carpet.

View attachment 668716
The tape is getting harder to find. Search "non-adhesive vinyl harness tape" on eBay. Here's some: 2 Rolls Factory Electrical Non Adhesive Wiring Harness Friction Tape Oem A Nos | eBay

These guys have your harness clips. Dynamic Renovation - All Mopars Nice folks to deal with too.

@Samplingman @Big_John and others — where did you source the pads for your convertible tops?
My top was already installed by the previous owner. IIRC, he told me the installer got the pads, but he wasn't happy with the black color. He did buy the top from Legendary, who I'll bet doesn't make the tops in house.

I got it off the rack of wire at NAPA, they had both types, the non adhesive tape and the friction (cloth) tape.

Alan

I always liked the small bumperetts and the bumpers had the holes so I’m putting them back on. Not willing to pay hundreds for NOS pieces, I decided to patch up the rubber and repaint with some satin black. I don’t remember how these came off, but getting them back on has been a challenge. Top bolts, no problem, but there is no second hole for the bottom and I can’t figure out how to position the strange looking brackets.

View attachment 667921

JB Weld Epoxy:

View attachment 667922View attachment 667923

Of course the studs broke off. Time to break out the welder.

View attachment 667924View attachment 667925View attachment 667926View attachment 667927View attachment 667928View attachment 667929

Also did some more detailing in the trunk with the new body plugs. I’m on the fence with the splatter paint, but I do have a new rubber mat from REM.

View attachment 667930
But great progress overall you made there! Really nice work!! :)

Back