Road wheels on a slab side

I like them all based on the cars personality . Some cars can pull off either tire, some can not.
IMG_9899.JPG

I really like the Torque Thrusts on your '71.

I think it gives it a meaner personality that fits a U code car.

:thankyou: And its only a T code. At some point I will be removing them for Road wheels and probably putting the 8 hole covers back on the convertible closest in the photo. EVERYONE likes the TTs on the 71

The Newport will get torque thrusts when I get around to that car and I still like the look of the caps on the New Yorker so they'll stay for now

C44DE69D-5F84-4F51-94B5-A03549A5152D.JPG
IMG_3122.JPG

Another option I would like to suggest is the American Racing VN501. It is an aluminum wheel made to look like the original Magnums but is also available in modern sizes. This past spring I finally stepped up to disc brakes on my 68 Sport Fury so I had to replace the original 14" Magnums. I was planning to get a set of reproduction 15" Magnums but my buddies warned me that 15" and 16" tires are getting hard to find and, therefore, expensive. However, they also told me that I could go with the VN501s in 17 and they would be the same diameter as the original 14s. That is what I did and I love them. They were very reasonable ($180 each, free shipping) and it was a breeze finding good performance tires at low prices for them. I went with a set of Comp Sport TA 2 high performance radials and they are excellent. I am attaching a picture I took of the first wheel and tire going on so you can see one up close. My avatar was taken a few minutes later with all 4 wheels and tires on. I think they look great and I wanted to bring this option to the table in case anyone else might like to know about these wheels.

68 Sport Fury VN501 & Comp Sport TA 2.JPG

But do they make that size tire with a whitewall???

No need if that's not the look he wants . Since 17" wheels aren't stock the WW need is out the window

Mopar Jim can you show me a picture of your whole car, with the VN51s. I will admit, I saw them at Nats this year, and they were not mounted, and I didn't care for them. They look good on your car, so I would like a full shot of your car please. :)

68 Sport Fury VN501 & Comp Sport TA 2.JPG

No need if that's not the look he wants . Since 17" wheels aren't stock the WW need is out the window
But white walls look the best on most of these cars so it's nice to know that our likes are being considered.

But white walls look the best on most of these cars so it's nice to know that our likes are being considered.

Opinion noted . I always say the cars character determines what shoes it should be wearing. . so white wall tires on many of our cars appear ridiculous , either undersized or out of character. You dont put wingtips on an athlete in the game.

Opinion noted . I always say the cars character determines what shoes it should be wearing. . so white wall tires on many of our cars appear ridiculous , either undersized or out of character. You dont put wingtips on an athlete in the game.

Nikes with an Armani suit look ridiculous though.
"C" body aren't exactly athletes imo.

I got 15" Magnums with whitewall tires. The wheels were only slightly over $100 each and the tires were less than $100 ea, as I recall. I know I got out of the shop for well less than $1,000 and it looked great. (If I recall correctly, though, going to 16" tires and wheels would have been a problem - both in availability and cost) These aren't performance tires, I don't believe, however, and I do wish I had specified performance. I'm sure the cost would have been more, as well. But these tires are a good combination of ride and performance so it was a good compromise. And besides, it is not a performance car so I doubt even these tires will ever be pushed to their limit.

IMG_3975.JPG

Duncan, I think your car looks great. I learned to drive in a '67 Fury III sedan just like your '68. I always liked the '68s better, even when they first came out in late '67, and that is what I have today, too.

Zymrgy, I had my car out this morning running some errands before it gets too freakin' hot, but I didn't see your request until now, so I apologize. I will post the pictures I took when the VN501s and BF Goodrich Comp 2 T/As were first mounted back in April. Hopefully these pictures will show you what you want to see. The tires are 235/55/ZR17s and are less than 1/2 inch larger diameter than the stock 14s, so no issues at all with fit. My car is a cruiser and I don't need or want wide meats so I went with 5 inch wide rims. My car is all original and all stock running gear, and there is still a lot of room out back to go with 7 (and maybe even 8) inch wide rims if someone wanted to get gonzo with tire size out back.
68 Sport Fury.JPG
68 Sport Fury 2.JPG

Last edited:
By the way, Zymurgy, I went through London on Friday, 08/10, on my way to and from the Honda Technology Center in Marysville. My girlfriend is from Washington Court House and we were back there visiting a couple weeks back, combining a family visit with the Mopar Nationals. I told her last year that any time she wanted to visit her family around the 2nd weekend in August I was in... and she took me up on it! I was a bit disappointed in the small number of C bodies at the Nats but I know the attention is all directed toward the A, B and E bodies. However, I was hoping for a bit more since I now only have a C body.

By the way, Zymurgy, I went through London on Friday, 08/10, on my way to and from the Honda Technology Center in Marysville. My girlfriend is from Washington Court House and we were back there visiting a couple weeks back, combining a family visit with the Mopar Nationals. I told her last year that any time she wanted to visit her family around the 2nd weekend in August I was in... and she took me up on it! I was a bit disappointed in the small number of C bodies at the Nats but I know the attention is all directed toward the A, B and E bodies. However, I was hoping for a bit more since I now only have a C body.

Your car looks great, I'm sold. Yes you were definitely in my area of the country. I went to high school just south of Marysville and it is where our family farm is located. My wifes first teaching job was in Washington Court House.

You have to hunt down the c-bodies at the Nats, I am just used to just a small showing. I was excited this year because there where several I hadn't seen in the past.

So you where at the Honda's Transportation Research Center? What brought you here? Any hot laps in anything fun?

Back