Scenicruisin'..?

Some more Converted MCI's from Greyhound (Former Americruisers, so AFTER the MC-6s entered service, circa mid 70s-80s) . Dont know the models tho.

Square faces, no Panorama roof windows, bigger "little wheel" trailing axle (if that's the right name?) My "whisperer" said these made good conversions too.

00-1-3-000.jpg

00-1-2-11.jpg
00-1-2-12.jpg

Some more Converted MCI's from Greyhound (Former Americruisers, so AFTER the MC-6s entered service, circa mid 70s-80s) . Dont know the models tho.

Square faces, no Panorama roof windows, bigger "little wheel" trailing axle (if that's the right name?) My "whisperer" said these made good conversions too.

View attachment 150473
View attachment 150471 View attachment 150472
I was unaware the "6" had 12v71's originally... they must have sounded super angry when accelerating.

I could be wrong... I think it was the "8" that had the tag axle forward and suffered from an abnormally large turning radius. IIRC it was an issue with one of the MCI models.

I could be wrong... I think it was the "8" that had the tag axle forward and suffered from an abnormally large turning radius. IIRC it was an issue with one of the MCI models.

yup, that would make a larger turning radius .. why would they do that?

rhetorical question on my part but seemed doomed to failure. making the bus harder to turn .. on purpose?

anyway, thanks again!

yup, that would make a larger turning radius .. why would they do that?

rhetorical question on my part but seemed doomed to failure. making the bus harder to turn .. on purpose?

anyway, thanks again!
The excuse I heard was to make the driveline more compact. As a interstate bus, turning radius wouldn't seem a big concern... until they had to get into a tight station.

Greyhound .. the real thing (1940's, what jumps out at you?).
00-1-2-5-3.jpg

And then a couple of concepts the 40's, the top one they actually built one that resembled this (its in this thread somewhere).

00-1-2-5-4.jpg

Last edited:
Other concepts for "land yachts" (on the aft end with no seat belts no less) and a special police bus.

00-1-2-11.jpg
00-1-2-12.jpg

A GM concept vehicle. That's a motorhome intended to be your main residence.

"The GMC PAD, an urban loft with mobility, is quite simply a home ownership concept that represents a reasonable solution to the problem of urban sprawl... Why commute? With the PAD, it’s where you live, where you work, or merely where you want to be. Whether located in walking distance from your job, or wintering at Mammoth, with the GMC PAD, home is where you want it. And commuting is what other people do."

00-1-2-40.jpg
00-1-2-41.jpg

http://tinyhousetalk.com/living-in-my-converted-box-truck/

I have to travel for my work. Most of my work comes as an emergency outage when a power plant suddenly comes off line due to a break down of the steam generating boiler.

Those types of outages can last as little as one day or turn into several days or weeks. Lodging on short notice can be difficult to obtain and with the uncertainty of the job length, one never really knows how long they are going to need a bed and a place to shower.

Here is the list of amenities I have incorporated into my truck,

1. Direct TV satellite TV with a roof mounted Winegard satellite dish
2. Flat screen TV w/DVD
3. 32″ shower stall
4. 10,000 btu. propane wall mount heater (for heat when I’m “off the grid”)
5. 1800/3600 watt Xantrex inverter/charger to make 110 VAC from a battery bank and charge the batteries when I am hooked up to line power.
6. Honda generator, 3000 watt
7. Battery isolator to charge my inverter batteries while driving
8. 13,500 btu roof mount A/C
9. 6 gal., 110 VAC water heater
10. 60 gal. fresh water storage
11. 23 gal. aux. fuel tank for generator
12. Smoke & CO alarm
13. Microwave and Fridge
14. 4 camera surveillance system for looking around outside while in the truck.
15. Walls and ceiling are insulated as a house would be, it is very easy to heat and cool.

00-1-2-5-5.jpg
00-1-2-8.jpg
00-1-2-9.jpg
00-1-2-11.jpg
00-1-2-12.jpg
00-1-2-40.jpg
00-1-2-41.jpg
00-1-2-42.jpg
00-1-3.jpg

source: School Bus Conversion and Other Brilliant RV Conversion Ideas

Site is one page, a few pics of each one, sometimes the floor plans are included, its NOT spammy, etc, Plus they have listed THEIR sources.

I have listed what they converted (and made notes in BOLD of a few we did/doing here) below the pic in case any interest you enough to follow up on.

00-1-2-5-3.jpg

1. School Bus Conversion (theres a post here on it)
2. City Bus Conversion (theres a post here on it)
3. Ambulance Conversion (we discussed this here recently)
4. Chevy Viking Short School Bus Conversion
5. Shipping Container Conversion
6. U-Haul Conversion (box truck conversion)
7. Greyhound Bus Conversion (tons of these but NOT this one yet)
8. Horse Trailer Conversion
9. Fire Truck Conversion (we discussed this here recently)
10. Rolling Barge Conversion
The cost for a Class A land yacht or even a simple travel trailer can be anywhere from $15,000 to $80,000 with the value depreciating the second you drive off of the lot. These standard, mass produced and generically decorated RV’s are functional and reliable, but they lack the personal flare and unique weirdness most of us strive for in our everyday mobile lives. With the same amount of money, or often for even less capital, you can convert the unfathomable (the school bus conversion) into the very real, very funky, very you RV!

Check out our list of 10 RV’s that started life as something else for some quirky land yacht inspiration. Before embarking on your own RV conversion, always be sure to have a game plan. Investigate your ‘Something Else’ to be sure it’s not a junk heap but is a functional and sturdy specimen. Have an idea of how much square footage you want to work with. Keep in mind, the bigger the rig, the bigger the budget. Make a meticulous floor plan, set a budget and stick to it, take your time, and make your dream home a reality!

Sources: Post #1073 OK you truckers...

Behance

Originally, this bus existed as a backyard creation by an inventive and crafty man from Charlotte, NC. He combined an early '60s GMC bus using a Hudson Hornet canopy and rear "grilles" sourced from a '55 Nash Statesman. This bus has since been scrapped.
00-1-2-5-3.jpg
00-1-2-5-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-5.jpg

I bet that was tough to drive... ginormous blind spot in front of you.

yup, like the view from a 747 cockpit I'd imagine.

You think it ever made a trip?

been searching for vintage pics of it actually on the road .. no luck yet. like cantflip said, woulda been a SOB to drive with ridiculously "ginormous" blind spots.

My Whisperer says its a mechanically flawed design .. in his opinion admittedly with no other info than these pics (steering/braking system design couldnt be reliable IF elevated like they appear to be, not sure how back-end attached to the bus part could carry a load, etc.). but admired the builder's ingenuity.

THe H.A.M.B has a closed thread on it, but the pic links seem broken?

This IS the craziest GMC Bus in the world, wanna fight about it..

OP confirms it was in the Charlotte NC area. Locals saw it on the road a few times, including the Labor Day Parade. The OP was also asking people to help him research it. One guy said he had a pic of it in action but it was never posted before the thread closed.

"Vandles have gotten to it. The whole insides were gutted. It sat beside the Hubbies Bar on Hwy 16 coming in to Charlotte, NC.

The guys at the bar said it used to used in the infields at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Races for a party bus.

1. Had a 302 GMC 6
2. Drive from the top roof like the bridge on the Enterprise
3. The 2 front stacked front bumpers are gone. They were 57 Chrysler.
4. I think the roof was a 49 Hudson
5. The tailites were a combination of Kaiser Grille and 63 Ford tailites.
6. Had another fastback roof for the back of the body.
7. Seen it on the side of the road my whole life then one day it was gone.
Anybody know where it is? It was in a cartoon in Rodders Digest. If you have pictures of this bus, send them in."

Last edited:
Back