Scenicruisin'..?

yeah, I got the 750k miles from another article (i read about 10 of em .. including one that said three buses were used to build PM II not two). If only 500K, then the wearout problem is worst.

Good point on "idle hours" .. sort like by analogy, the last Crown Vic (or ANY police car) P71s. Along about 2005-6 or so they put in the feature where you could see the idle hours on the car. Ford says ONE hour of idling equals 33 miles for those cars.

00-1-3-00.jpg

So, you get one with 100K on odo, and with 20,000 idle hours (e.g., "hot seat" city cop cars), you have the equivalent of a car with 430K miles on it. IF still the original powertrain, and other engine-related rotating and other parts, well .. that mill aint got much longer probably.

I get why cops do it .. never quite understood why truckers do it (except I guess to run accessories or somehow starting/stopping/starting is bad for diesels?).

Yes, i shall take the hazardous journey (from my cell phone charger to my Lazy Boy recliner) to reach out to the Bus Whisperer and seek additional wisdom (dial the number) on monocoque considerations with these old coaches and report forthwith (log in and post as soon as i find out) :)

Yes, i shall take the hazardous journey (from my cell phone charger to my Lazy Boy recliner) to reach out to the Bus Whisperer and seek additional wisdom (dial the number) on monocoque considerations with these old coaches and report forthwith (log in and post as soon as i find out) :)

Cantflip .. didn't forget. Just getting around to posting it after I talked to my guy a couple weeks ago.

My whisperer "consulted" on the second build, via a "friend of a friend" of the builders.

I didnt understand everything he said (he was looking at the pics while I was driving so I couldnt exactly follow) but basically the first bus was NOT a true monocoque design BUT still well built.

The second bus based on PD4501 they took great pains/good engineering in the build to retain load bearing skin structure .. even adding things under the skin Greyhound SHOULDA did in the original design for rigidly and to control torsional forces along the long axis of the coach.

Long story short .. both coaches were well built in his opinion. He was scratching his head over three repowers in 500K-750K miles tho.

tahnks.

I get why cops do it .. never quite understood why truckers do it (except I guess to run accessories or somehow starting/stopping/starting is bad for diesels?
Years ago me mechanical diesels are hard to start when cold. Diesels are not throttled just more and more fuel is cut off to idle them (air fuel ratio of 60:1) and they are direct injected so no fuel to clog up intake ports and valves at idle. They are run overnight to run HVAC systems to sleep comfortably. There are idle elimination systems out there.

Cantflip .. didn't forget. Just getting around to posting it after I talked to my guy a couple weeks ago.

My whisperer "consulted" on the second build, via a "friend of a friend" of the builders.

I didnt understand everything he said (he was looking at the pics while I was driving so I couldnt exactly follow) but basically the first bus was NOT a true monocoque design BUT still well built.

The second bus based on PD4501 they took great pains/good engineering in the build to retain load bearing skin structure .. even adding things under the skin Greyhound SHOULDA did in the original design for rigidly and to control torsional forces along the long axis of the coach.

Long story short .. both coaches were well built in his opinion. He was scratching his head over three repowers in 500K-750K miles tho.

tahnks.
If the Whisperer likes it... it gets my vote.

Now all you need to do is start a cult religious organization, recruit a few dozen competent men you can press into indentured servitude 20 hour days like you were Andrew Carnegie. Your's could get done quick.:D

I'll put this here .. i always liked these Airstreams. These ladies did a cool job for their clients.

I'll put this here .. i always liked these Airstreams. These ladies did a cool job for their clients.

I like that a bunch. I always look at these conversions with a doubtful eye, especially as to if the build appears to be durable for the rigors of travel and if the weights have gotten out of control. I think those ladies did a fine job from the little I could see.

[QUOTE="amazinblue82, post: 525352, member: 3152"...
z10-jpg.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Had one of these at a show here in 2015.

upload_2017-10-25_14-2-43.jpeg

upload_2017-10-25_14-8-17.jpeg

Last edited:
that VW is still rear engined .. gotta be loud in there when engine is running. and its a**-heavy, too much so(?), as all get out too I bet.

OK... I admit it... I'm kinda digging this one. When I was bus shopping, and trying to choose a vehicle to mangle, I found lots of cheap firetrucks that were unloved.

Given the size of these rigs and how few seem to be repurposed, I did spend a little time thinking about it. I of course wanted overkill, this guy did pretty practical... well for a 45MPH vehicle with a large water capacity.
z4-jpg.jpg

OK... I admit it... I'm kinda digging this one. When I was bus shopping, and trying to choose a vehicle to mangle, I found lots of cheap firetrucks that were unloved.

Given the size of these rigs and how few seem to be repurposed, I did spend a little time thinking about it. I of course wanted overkill, this guy did pretty practical... well for a 45MPH vehicle with a large water capacity.

View attachment 148864

I also wanted to repurpose a fire truck in some cool way .. and manage so it was economical to operate. I was floored by how "slow" these fire rigs are .. OR i just didnt find the right one? I am not aware of a highway-cruising capable fire truck is the short answer.

00-1-2-6.jpg

another example: Return to Website/Fire Truck RV - We Will Never Forget/Fire_Truck_RV_May-2012_001

00-1-2-5-5.jpg

00-1-2-5-4.jpg

I also thought about doing the same thing witn an ambulance/RV thing. Never gave it much thought for that purpose .. more for a work/tow/storage/playtoy vehicle. Even then they aint economical highway cruisers either.

00-1-2-5-3.jpg

Last edited:
I also wanted to repurpose a fire truck in some cool way .. and manage so it was economical to operate. I was floored by how "slow" these fire rigs are .. OR i just didnt find the right one? I am not aware of a highway-cruising capable fire truck is the short answer.

View attachment 148890

another example: Return to Website/Fire Truck RV - We Will Never Forget/Fire_Truck_RV_May-2012_001

View attachment 148889
View attachment 148888

I also thought about doing the same thing witn an ambulance/RV thing. Never gave it much thought for that purpose .. more for a work/tow/storage/playtoy vehicle. Even then they aint economical highway cruisers either.

View attachment 148877
I believe the firetruck issue is their original purpose usually involved carrying lots of weigh a short distance. You may find an oddball that was built for better speeds, but I'm sure it will be sprung hard enough to rearrange internal organs.

Ambulances have too much storage built into the box. The few I've seen repurposed still have bare minimum sleeping accommodations. The one guy I knew who did this used his for SCCA events, so the tool and parts storage was good for him... he complained he spent as much time keeping the rig running as he did the car. Things that sounded good to have, worn out by the use as an ambulance, turned out to be expensive repairs or more intensive reworks than he liked.

I believe the firetruck issue is their original purpose usually involved carrying lots of weigh a short distance. You may find an oddball that was built for better speeds, but I'm sure it will be sprung hard enough to rearrange internal organs.

Ambulances have too much storage built into the box. The few I've seen repurposed still have bare minimum sleeping accommodations. The one guy I knew who did this used his for SCCA events, so the tool and parts storage was good for him... he complained he spent as much time keeping the rig running as he did the car. Things that sounded good to have, worn out by the use as an ambulance, turned out to be expensive repairs or more intensive reworks than he liked.

Ya (anyone interested) got 40 mins to kill? Take a peek if ya get a chance. Post #282. Watch 'em build this.

00-1-2-5-4.jpg

Heavy Metal

Back