Scenicruisin'..?

My French is too rusty to keep up. Its a "Citroen with a thousand Legs" is the caption on the vid .. thats about it, plus its got Michelin tires. :)

Near as I can tell as well, it cant carry anything except two people in the single front seat .. so must be about tires/powertrain.

00-1-2-5-3.jpg

Last edited:
My French is too rusty to keep up. Its a "Citroen with a thousand Legs" is the caption on the vid .. thats about it, plus its got Michelin tires. :)

Near as I can tell as well, it cant carry anything except two people in the single front seat .. so must be about tires/powertrain.

View attachment 152776

I have to agree, and the shame is those Citroen's had a really neat adjustable hydraulic suspension... too bad the builder was so focused on whatever they were doing to not incorporate that into the design... at least from what I saw.

Is this cheap or expensive? The interior looks trashed but...

Tour Bus 1970 MCI 44ft.bus | eBay

Tour Bus 44ft MCI Challenger made new as a tour bus in 1970. Its bin an rv its whole life It runs Great has a 4000$ new Clutch that needs adjustment It has a large master bedroom full shower with glass door porcelain toilet and small sink.it also has 6 bunkbeds the kitchen and living room are in the middle or a total remodel I was going to remove the bunkbeds and enlarge the kitchen and Livingroom there is pictures of the tore out livingroom and kitchen I didn't get to finish because I had open heart surgery a triple bypass and valve replaced I love the bus and hate to see it go but my health and bills have to come first. If you have any questions or want better pictures of something please ask.

s-l1600.jpg

Neat old MCI.

I will consult my whisperer after the hoidays if this doesnt sell.

My amateur eye says this is bargain.. BUT..

1. what else besides the clutch was shot (engine, rear end, suspension, other mechanicals) so, unknown $$$$

2. 70's electrical/plumbing, etc may not cut it today, so unknown $$$

3. dated interior .. this number i have good bead on. $50K-ish in there to do what i want inside. nice, but not sumptous, all work done by someone else since I have little skill and can't help myself to save some money. :(

4. IF its roadworthy that saves $8K in transportation. if not, well tack that on to0

so between 1-4 above, i'd be in it for acquisition cost, plus $80K-$110K, plus 20% contingency fund. better, nicer, "as-is", roadworthy coaches (to my pedestrian but nice standards) of this vintage can be had for $50k-$60K (plus 20% contingency)

Plus, it this MCI isnt on my top five (Scenicruisers, Buffalos, Eagles, Sultana's, used Prevosts) so i'd probably pass.

Someone with some skill at interior/mechanicals, this might be a good one.

00-1-2-5-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-5.jpg
00-1-2-9.jpg
00-1-2-11.jpg
00-1-2-12.jpg
00-1-2-41.jpg
00-1-2-42.jpg

Another 1970 Challenger. Good lines. I like the body style. They "dress-up" nice.

00-1-3.jpg
00-1-3-000.jpg

Tour Bus 44ft MCI Challenger made new as a tour bus in 1970. Its bin an rv its whole life It runs Great has a 4000$ new Clutch that needs adjustment It has a large master bedroom full shower with glass door porcelain toilet and small sink.it also has 6 bunkbeds the kitchen and living room are in the middle or a total remodel I was going to remove the bunkbeds and enlarge the kitchen and Livingroom there is pictures of the tore out livingroom and kitchen I didn't get to finish because I had open heart surgery a triple bypass and valve replaced I love the bus and hate to see it go but my health and bills have to come first. If you have any questions or want better pictures of something please ask.

View attachment 153077
A mixed blessings bus... both a fair price (maybe)on a bus that likely needs a new clutch (adjustment, my ***). The ceiling pics seem honest, and I can tell you if the wrong materials are used, ceilings don't hold up real well... this one appears to have lost the grip of it's adhesive.
Neat old MCI.

I will consult my whisperer after the hoidays if this doesnt sell.

My amateur eye says this is bargain.. BUT..

1. what else besides the clutch was shot (engine, rear end, suspension, other mechanicals) so, unknown $$$$

2. 70's electrical/plumbing, etc may not cut it today, so unknown $$$

3. dated interior .. this number i have good bead on. $50K-ish in there to do what i want inside. nice, but not sumptous, all work done by someone else since I have little skill and can't help myself to save some money. :(

4. IF its roadworthy that saves $8K in transportation. if not, well tack that on to0

so between 1-4 above, i'd be in it for acquisition cost, plus $80K-$110K, plus 20% contingency fund. better, nicer, "as-is", roadworthy coaches (to my pedestrian but nice standards) of this vintage can be had for $50k-$60K (plus 20% contingency)

Plus, it this MCI isnt on my top five (Scenicruisers, Buffalos, Eagles, Sultana's, used Prevosts) so i'd probably pass.

Someone with some skill at interior/mechanicals, this might be a good one.

View attachment 153090 View attachment 153091 View attachment 153093 View attachment 153094 View attachment 153095 View attachment 153096 View attachment 153097

Another 1970 Challenger. Good lines. I like the body style. They "dress-up" nice.

View attachment 153098 View attachment 153099
You are dialed in nicely by now, there isn't much to tell you... Looking at the fact (if true) that this bus started life as a RV type bus as a bunch of positives and negatives, the only thing that could be done is a serious and through inspection.

If the bus even makes the alternate list, it might be worth several hundred $$ to have the owner take it to a shop in his area on your dime to give a complete mechanical estimate and gather as much undercarriage reconnaissance information as possible (pics, videos...) Because you seem to have a plan in mind for the house systems, they wouldn't need to have RV expertise... just truck/bus knowledge.

Rot... RV life could be a +/- depending on it's storage.

Mileage... Low miles are not easy miles... but if well maintained through most of it's life may be a positive.

Power... how much do you want a 2 stroke DD? The majority of your preferred list is likely to have one or a repower. If repowered, you will really need to make sure everything was done right and the current driveline is fully serviceable.

I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to get one moved, if running, but if you have dreams of a newer driveline... don't pay a premium for a good working old one.

And here's a 2017 parade in Indiana that has a few Scenicruisers in it.

I was aware of the second KW... it's worthless except for patterns IMO. The first is new to me.

Flxis are some of my all time favorites... I love all of those... except the city bus at the end.

The 2017 parade was mostly GM... and of those Scenics are the best by far for pure sex appeal.

Here's one for sale. Already converted to a motor coach but not cheap. 1954 $92,500

1954 GM Scenicruiser 7729 - Antique Buses, GMC Buses, Motorcoach Conversions - Buses for Sale

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-1.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-2.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-3.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-4.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-5.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-6.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-7.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-8.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-9.jpg

7729-1954GMCScenicruiser-10.jpg

• Stock Number : 7729

• 1954 GM Scenicruiser
  • Year : 1954
  • Make : GMC
  • Model :Scenicruiser
  • Body : GMC
  • Engine : Detroit Diesel Series 50
  • Engine Mileage : 150,000
  • Transmission : Automatic 740
  • Passengers : 4
  • Wheelchair Positions : none
  • Luggage :
  • Related Categories:
  • Price : $92,500

• Comments
This 1954 GMC Scenicruiser has been converted into a mobile living space. The bus has brand new tires. This antique GMC is ready for the road.

Currently The Listed Price Is: $92,500

*Standard Pricing Is Per Unit, Should You Have Any Specific Questions Please Call 1-877-287-7253

All 1954 GM Scenicruiser Buses Available for Showing by Appointment Only

• Features
  • Queen Size Bed
  • Captain Chairs
  • Shower
  • Ample Storage
  • Propane Heater
  • 100 Gallon Fresh and 100 Gallon Grey Water Tanks
  • 50 Gallon Blank Tanks
  • Onan Gasoline Generator

• Interior
The interior of this Scenicruiser can comfortable sleep up to four people. The front of the bus has two captain chairs for the driver and the co-pilot. This GMC has a kitchen area that can be used to prepare meals. The toilet and the shower of this bus are in separate rooms. There is ample closet space for storing your personal belongings.

• Exterior
The exterior of this GMC is in good condition.

• Specs
  • Detroit Diesel Series 50 Engine
  • Automatic 740 Transmission

That Series 50 while being a dependable platform has a pair of balance shafts that need to be serviced or they go boom. It's a major procedure so it's costly. If they were done recently by Detroit Diesel you will not likely ever put enough miles on it for them to have to be done again but you need to confirm that if you are interested in buying it.

Personally not a fan of 4 speed automatics either.

Kevin

I'm a fan... if this one is mostly what you want, I think you should fly the whisperer to check her over thoroughly.

At that starting price, I wouldn't imagine you will have a big competition... but who knows what the market really is on one in this condition.

Kevin makes a good point regarding the driveline, but this does seem closer to a turnkey bus than most have been.

I would love to see you able to start the love affair sooner vs. later...

One thing that cracks me up... 50 gal blackwater tank... dag that's a bit over prepared...

my guy says we talked about this coach 4 yrs ago...i dont remember it & im traveling so im away from my archives.

he also thinks $92 big is a bit "tall" but likes its originality after the conversion.

long story short we're gonna look at it togehther next week if we can.

thx

Back