So I want to have a 440 built....

Well for what it is worth my 69 Fury has a 71 440 low compression rebuilt in the 1980's . Hp exhaust manifolds and the "best" 71 Mopar intake supposedly. It has an open diff with 3.23 rear. I put race gas in it and noticed no difference in performance except the exhaust smell. At idle I can blow the "wheel " into smoke no problem. At mid speeds 35 to 50 it's acceleration is ok unless it downshifts and it is abit more. Where it seems to really shine is 65 mph and above. Seems the gearing and the rpm's and the torque curve really come together and if I hit it, it really seems to put you in your seat from 65 up.. I would guess somewhat like a highway patrol car. I can't imagine what it could top out at...120- 130+? I think your rear end ratio is a the mythical 150 mph highway patrol car rear gear ratio.
Anyway it would be interesting to know specifically what you want from the car that it is not doing now. Off the line? Passing,,,at what speed? Top speed? Will you be on the highway much or not at all? Mileage? 1/4 mile times or what ball park you would like it to be? It is a cruiser,,my area of knowledge in cars is not V8's,,it is with the lowly 135 cubic inch turbo dodge Omni GLHS . 300 hp ,,320 torque in a 2000 pound car at 19 psi,,and could go to 29.. Who's power to weight ratio has been eclipsed long ago,,but still scares the **** outa me.

Last edited:
Maybe that's an idea, and it'd save me from having to dispose of a 383 bottom end.

That sounds really good.

You can get a 400 very cheap and a stroker kit from 440 Source and turn it into a 451 and have a very solid stroker motor for a long time. I believe that is what I'm going to eventually do with my 78 NYB.

Big Block Mopar Match Up

Note: If you get a stroker kit from 440 Source it will be a direct drop in with no machine work needed on the crank. Also comes with bearings. You will need the machine shop to clean up the bore on the block. I'm going .030 over stock bore and align bore the mains to true them up.

You can get a 400 very cheap and a stroker kit from 440 Source and turn it into a 451 and have a very solid stroker motor for a long time.

A more costly 440 block as-is or a cheap 400 and buying a stroker kit...
A. 030 over 440 is 447.
447 and 451 for the same money. I don't see the advantage, Bob.

My current cam too small for even a 440?
Not necessarily too small but not as big as your heads can use. That cam is pretty mellow in a 440. I would stroke the 383 or just design a package for it working around what you have. I like the tall rear gears, put a tach in the car and figure out what rpm you cruise the highway at and buy a stall converter a little smaller than that.

Last edited:
A more costly 440 block as-is or a cheap 400 and buying a stroker kit...
A. 030 over 440 is 447.
447 and 451 for the same money. I don't see the advantage, Bob.

For me the stroked 400 is cheaper. I already have a B-Block intake, etc.

Big difference in horsepower from a .030 over stock 440 and a stroked 400.

My built 440 for the 4 speed car, while a complete rebuild, the only changes over stock, were 10.0:1 CR . 030 over pistons, a NOS 440-6 cam (and valve train to match), Performer intake, and a Holley carb. Just the basics. Not leading edge Mopar Action type tech.
It was a smooth running super strong pulling engine that didn't break the bank.

Last edited:
Let me throw some numbers out there...
the mentioned 440 source balanced kit $2249
Hot tank $100
Bore/Hone a block $400
Decking $100
Align hone $200
lifter hone $50
cam bearings w/install $100
gaskets $200
freeze plugs $40
Main bolts/head bolts $150
so...We're up to approx $3650 for an UNASSEMBLED short block.

now we're only heads, intake,cam, away from a long block
Lets figure $2500 for the top end.

so we're now at $6150 for an unassembled long block.

Think a machine shop will assemble it for $1000?

boy fellas...getting pretty dangerously close to a finished, stroker, big block with a 30 month warranty for $7300...
BPC4931CT - Blueprint Chrysler 493 Base Engine • Aluminum Heads • Flat Tappet Cam • Base • 525 HP / 590 FT LBS

And my fingers are alot less dirty, i've made alot less trips to the machine shop, and it showed up on my doorstep for near identical costs.

now i get you're trying to reuse some parts...but I think the above needs taken into consideration.

I build my race engines, as thats a different animal entirely. ....but i will never again build one for a street car that won't be slung down the 1/4 mile regularly. Its pointless to me to put my precious time into something I can buy for the same price, finished, with a warranty.

no disrespect to the shade tree mechanic that enjoys building their own stuff. Like I said, i build my race engines, I'm just a working guy, with less hours in the day than i need.

you can of course dissect my above comparison, and save here, there, or reuse this and that, this is just a "from scratch" comparison...and note i didn't even take buying the donor block into the mix.

The stroked 400 I'm going to build is just going to be a stroker build that i have always wanted to do. If my NYB had a 440 I would be stroking it. Just a combination of things....oil leaks, worn out valve guides, stretched timing chain with the nylon gears, worn piston rings, 200 total horsepower, etc. I need to do something so I'll get to do the stroked motor with the existing 400. It's is the biggest stock bore Mopar ever had.

The stroked 400 I'm going to build is just going to be a stroker build that i have always wanted to do. If my NYB had a 440 I would be stroking it. Just a combination of things....oil leaks, worn out valve guides, stretched timing chain with the nylon gears, worn piston rings, 200 total horsepower, etc. I need to do something so I'll get to do the stroked motor with the existing 400. It's is the biggest stock bore Mopar ever had.

yeah the 400 block is a gem. I would completely consider a B deck 400 for a nice stroker build!

Another thing to consider (on a Formal) is that none of the alternator, power steering, compressor, etc. brackets will work going from a 400 to a 440 or from a 440 to a 400. You'll have to find a donor to get ALL of the brackets for the entire front end of the engine to interchange.

So what headers are you going to use on the NYB Bob. :poke:
Has anyone ever tried headers on a formal? Do they have the same issues as other C's or did the suspension redesign help/hurt

yeah the 400 block is a gem. I would completely consider a B deck 400 for a nice stroker build!

Funny, I was a proponent of the 400 since 1985, best stock engine I ever had (1972 H.P.)
I have been saying that since then and most Mopar guys look at me like I have two heads.....

I'm happy to see it getting some respect

So what headers are you going to use on the NYB Bob. :poke:
Has anyone ever tried headers on a formal? Do they have the same issues as other C's or did the suspension redesign help/hurt

I know someone who put headers on a 74 Imperial recently. I don't know what brand or part number. And would guess they are for a B-Body. I'm sure there are fitment problems. I'm still leaning towards manifolds....

Back