The Hurst Registry

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
You C-Bod folks might recall that I posted my Hurst Registry spreadsheet in the “Nerd” and “NOT MINE” threads in the April 2024 timeframe, but decided to remove it, polish it, add to it, and most importantly figure a way to make it a standalone document that can be added to as we find more CM23xx/J99xx Hursts in the years ahead.

I talked with @Joeychgo and @Toolmanmike about a “living document” that other members could access, add to, download, etc. They immediately said “No Way!” because such a thing inserted into a forum is a magnet for bugs, hacks and other terrible diseases. Of course they’re absolutely right. They helpfully gave me some suggestions and this post is the result.

I also spoke with @ayilar about this because he’s concerned with preserving the compiled information well into the future, should this forum cease to exist for whatever reason, or that I cease to exist (for whatever reason!). So here is how this thread will work, but first let me explain what the Registry is about.

I got the idea for doing this when the Nerd/NOT MINE threads were discussing the scrambled time gaps for VINs, VONs, and Door Sticker dates. To see if there was an understandable pattern to these gaps, I developed this Registry so we can see the numbers. I included a column to mention some specifics (Console, Cruise, junker, etc.) so--as a group--we can hopefully track these cars into the future. I did try to find some existing Hurst listing like the 300 Club…nothing. Several of you contributed valuable information to this list, so thank you.

In this Post #1, you’ll see the Registry date of July 4, 2024. When I get new information, either via this thread or by a PM is someone wishes to remain anonymous, I’ll update the spreadsheet and put in a NEW post, leaving all prior spreadsheets unchanged in this thread. That might mean that the next Registry update might be in September and be Post # 34 after we get comments on this post. When I get good solid info from one of you I’ll be happy to update ASAP. Another reason I'm doing it this way (new postings of the document vs editing Post #1), is that over time the Edit function no longer works.

Some of you were concerned I would be the only owner of the spreadsheet. If anyone wants a copy of the original spreadsheet send me a PM with your email and I’ll send it to you. But I won’t be sending updates….you’re on your own in that regard.

So, if you have info to add to this Hurst Registry, let’s see it. Several of you had good insight into the reason for the “gaps” (much of which has already been kicked around in Nerds and NOT MINE) and I invite you to repeat it here for posterity. Comments and suggestions are quite welcome, but I don't intend to expand this file with links to relevant webpages or photos, etc. Generally, it is what it is.....a list based on VINs.

I'm still working to find the best method to convert an Excel file into a clear image file, like the PNG image you see below, and @ayilar is helping me with this. It's legible enough for now and better than a screenshot. Let's give it a try!

1720398828064.png

Last edited:
Cool! Expecting lots of interest in this information, and looking forward to seeing the dataset grow.

Some of the info compiled above can be found in the "Hurst nerd" thread, with many photos to boot (Edit: additional information is in this thread, started by @Bandit524).

Tagging some folks mentioned in the OP (or in the dataset).

@My65cuda @fc7_plumcrazy @Hap @69CoronetRT @Northcoast300h @DB605A @Kaim @david hill
@JonW @polara71 @67valiant 100 @Fury Pursuit @SportFury70 @amazinblue82 @Samplingman @Big_John @cm23uoc @bigmoparjeff @haywire 440 @3C's & a D? @MrMoparCHP @fury fan @MJFUR

Last edited:
From the outset I want to make an important point about my former Hurst, #226726. When the car was restored by the second owner in 1998, the Door Sticker apparently didn't make it through the total repaint. Most folks didn't really care about such things back then. The imprint of the glue was there, but no sticker.

I went to ECS Automotive Concepts--who make AMAZING Mopar reproduction items--for a new sticker, and they're authorized by Chrysler to reproduce them with a few serious restrictions. Those requirements are a photo of the dash VIN and the Fender Tag, copy of current owner's title, and a shot of the owner's driver's license. They then generate a beautiful, perfect repro sticker. Great, right? Sure, but in the case of the Hurst cars all Fender Tags indicate a scheduled production date of 125.....January 1970. My true born-on date was likely of May 1970, but my door sticker INCORRECTLY shows 1-1970. I put this out there--in this Registry thread--so should my former car should resurface someday (the new owner required anonymity as a sale condition) this Door Sticker issue has been addressed. After all, the whole point of the Registry is to attempt to trace the Build Dates vs. VIN/VONs, and I don't want my repro sticker to confuse the issue years from now.

And yes, I put the lovely repro sticker DIRECTLY above the old glue marks. :)

AGFO3074.JPG

My Fender Tag.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a vin for you never had a fender tag picture sorry hit a guard rail doing 80mph I was told.
Manny, that's fantastic info, many thanks! I'll add those numbers in a week or so to give a little time for other new info to hopefully come along.

Do you know where 225563 is now, and is it the same as this one, below? Doesn't quite look like it has identical damage. Weird.

1720474188567.jpeg

Manny, that's fantastic info, many thanks! I'll add those numbers in a week or so to give a little time for other new info to hopefully come along.

Do you know where 225563 is now, and is it the same as this one, below? Doesn't quite look like it has identical damage. Weird.

View attachment 670174
I don't believe it's the same car the pics I shared are from 2018 or 19 since then the car was crushed I believe. It sat in a field in Nebraska for a long time supposedly some guy still has the drive train and hood and trunk from it.

I don't believe it's the same car the pics I shared are from 2018 or 19 since then the car was crushed I believe. It sat in a field in Nebraska for a long time supposedly some guy still has the drive train and hood and trunk from it.
I'll add that info to the Notes.

Weird that we have to similarly damaged Hursts in what look to be similar settings.

And there's this car that I call the "High Plains Drifter". Someone open that door and give us the VIN and build date!

1720476792807.jpeg

@Trace 300 Hurst — I see three Hursts at BBTR 2024 in this post. You got them? @fc7_plumcrazy
Yes, I saw them and strained my eyes trying to see the FTags and Door Stickers. :poke:

But yeah, I was thinking the same thing you are. I imagine that one or two cars belong to the members mentioned in the Registry....would love for any of them to post up to this thread.

@ayilar name-dropped me into this because I rode in a Hurst once, I guess. Now I've been sucked in.

I agree these are not the same car, as 1 has quarterpanel damage and the other seems not to.
1720563066380.png

This one has damage at the leading edge of the quarter, and also a buckle above the wheel.
But if the hood was gone, I wonder if we'd find both drivers fenders to look similar?

1720563088730.png

You were name dropped because he and I were on the phone together seconds after I opened this thread, quickly thinking of who are knowledgeable contributors to this forum and would assist with the Registry if they could, and otherwise spread the word. :thumbsup:

I agree those two cars are not the same, but what a strange coincidence! It's great that @70 Sport Suburban had that Door Sticker info. Amazing, really. And that's the point of this thread....to see what info might surface about remaining Hursts.

I accept the compliment of 'knowledgable contributor'. :) I once owned a 70 300 with TNT, so I guess I am a once-removed cousin.

Option -
If you want a group spreadsheet, you could do a Google Sheets file and send the link via PM to trustworthy members. (trustworthy means those who have a vested interest)
But the 'owner' should keep their own master copy, in case somebody accidentally screws up the data. (there maybe should be 2 or 3 owners? who are fanatical about data integrity)
There should be some rules about how data is entered, too (i.e. new data is always entered at the bottom, perhaps in bold font or highlighted), so that the owner can readily verify the sheet is still in good shape.

Or maybe everyone gets read-only links while the list owners have the write access?
Or maybe there are 2 lists: a public one (for the trustworthies) and a special one that has names/contact info of those who requested anonymity,?

@ayilar name-dropped me into this because I rode in a Hurst once, I guess. Now I've been sucked in.

I agree these are not the same car, as 1 has quarterpanel damage and the other seems not to.
View attachment 670546

This one has damage at the leading edge of the quarter, and also a buckle above the wheel.
But if the hood was gone, I wonder if we'd find both drivers fenders to look similar?

View attachment 670548
The driver fender was actually in good shape I grabbed it and a few other parts from the car.

Screenshot_20240710_012524_Gallery.jpg

Option -
If you want a group spreadsheet, you could do a Google Sheets file and send the link via PM to trustworthy members. (trustworthy means those who have a vested interest)
But the 'owner' should keep their own master copy, in case somebody accidentally screws up the data. (there maybe should be 2 or 3 owners? who are fanatical about data integrity)
There should be some rules about how data is entered, too (i.e. new data is always entered at the bottom, perhaps in bold font or highlighted), so that the owner can readily verify the sheet is still in good shape.

Or maybe everyone gets read-only links while the list owners have the write access?
Or maybe there are 2 lists: a public one (for the trustworthies) and a special one that has names/contact info of those who requested anonymity,?

Your suggestions are good ones, but I prefer to keep this analog and SIMPLE. I'm not looking to increase my workload, have differing lists, make rules, enforce rules, bestow trustworthiness, or deal with anonymity (we're using screen names), etc.

1. As I mentioned in my introduction, I'll send the latest Excel file to anyone who wants it, and they can do whatever they want with it. Put it in their own website, corrupt it with false info, share it with other Trustworthies, start a new thread with links to pics or websites or whatever. Have at it. It's all generally public information so I don't own it, I just hunted it down and organized it. Any member can PM me with your email address and I'll send it. This is mandatory because Excel files cannot be pasted into the PM window and I'm not doing Dropbox or Photobucket anything else. Everybody can be an owner, and everybody can update their copy as they see fit as this thread changes over time (I won't be sending updates, that's on you to do). Or.....you can simply copy the image just as you would a photo in any thread and make your own version of a Hurst list.

2. It doesn't quite make sense to put new info at the bottom of the data field because we're dealing with the VIN sequence here (the basis of the whole effort). When I make an update, I'll highlight changes in yellow as you'll see in my next post. The next time I make an update, the previous highlights will be gone and new information will be highlighted in a new spreadsheet in a new post.

3. I will send a copy to @ayilar every time I update this, as he is rumored to have integrity and I'm quite sure that he's DEFINITELY fanatical :realcrazy: about data integrity. That certainly gives the forum some reliable redundancy.

4. Finally, I don't expect this Registry to suddenly double from 45-ish vehicles in it now. I've pretty much scoured the Web, Carlisle and Mecum but maybe one of you will come across something unknown. So maybe this list will tick up to 60 in a few years because now us C-Bod guys have a place to record their Hurst "find" (as @70 Sport Suburban just did :D). I know of a car in the Virginia Tidewater area, amazing condition, original owner, because a pal who attended a local show sent me a few pics. Great, but he's a Chevy guy and had no concept of VIN, VON, Door Date and certainly didn't take pics of that stuff. That car might show up again someday, a member will capture the data and we'll add it [finally] after the five years I've known about it. I missed several cars myself before I got mine, because I didn't give a hoot about tracking them. There are others out there, so let's get to 60!

5. And remember, my original reason to compile this data was simply to get a handle on the various skips in Build Dates vs. VONs and VINs. I had no intent to make this a Hurst historical record. The Notes column was an afterthought to record information that helps to differentiate otherwise identical cars.

You C-Bod folks might recall that I posted my Hurst Registry spreadsheet in the “Nerd” and “NOT MINE” threads in the April 2024 timeframe, but decided to remove it, polish it, add to it, and most importantly figure a way to make it a standalone document that can be added to as we find more CM23xx/J99xx Hursts in the years ahead.

I talked with @Joeychgo and @Toolmanmike about a “living document” that other members could access, add to, download, etc. They immediately said “No Way!” because such a thing inserted into a forum is a magnet for bugs, hacks and other terrible diseases. Of course they’re absolutely right. They helpfully gave me some suggestions and this post is the result.

I also spoke with @ayilar about this because he’s concerned with preserving the compiled information well into the future, should this forum cease to exist for whatever reason, or that I cease to exist (for whatever reason!). So here is how this thread will work, but first let me explain what the Registry is about.

I got the idea for doing this when the Nerd/NOT MINE threads were discussing the scrambled time gaps for VINs, VONs, and Door Sticker dates. To see if there was an understandable pattern to these gaps, I developed this Registry so we can see the numbers. I included a column to mention some specifics (Console, Cruise, junker, etc.) so--as a group--we can hopefully track these cars into the future. I did try to find some existing Hurst listing like the 300 Club…nothing. Several of you contributed valuable information to this list, so thank you.

In this Post #1, you’ll see the Registry date of July 4, 2024. When I get new information, either via this thread or by a PM is someone wishes to remain anonymous, I’ll update the spreadsheet and put in a NEW post, leaving all prior spreadsheets unchanged in this thread. That might mean that the next Registry update might be in September and be Post # 34 after we get comments on this post. When I get good solid info from one of you I’ll be happy to update ASAP. Another reason I'm doing it this way (new postings of the document vs editing Post #1), is that over time the Edit function no longer works.

Some of you were concerned I would be the only owner of the spreadsheet. If anyone wants a copy of the original spreadsheet send me a PM with your email and I’ll send it to you. But I won’t be sending updates….you’re on your own in that regard.

So, if you have info to add to this Hurst Registry, let’s see it. Several of you had good insight into the reason for the “gaps” (much of which has already been kicked around in Nerds and NOT MINE) and I invite you to repeat it here for posterity. Comments and suggestions are quite welcome, but I don't intend to expand this file with links to relevant webpages or photos, etc. Generally, it is what it is.....a list based on VINs.

I'm still working to find the best method to convert an Excel file into a clear image file, like the PNG image you see below, and @ayilar is helping me with this. It's legible enough for now and better than a screenshot. Let's give it a try!

View attachment 670097

July 11, 2024

New info as provided by @70 Sport Suburban in Post #4, above.

View attachment 670986
I had the same problem with generating a good clear image of an Excel SS that could be attached to a Facebook post (photo, only). I stumbled on highlighting, copying the image, pasting to Paint and saving the paint image as a JPEG, Paint adjusted it to a nice lettrer-size image--and its bullet proof. I might be able to assist you in your Hurst registry quest. Please send me a copy of the Excel SS. Example below originated as a portion of my decoder sheet.

64 300K Conv. Rich Barber 7-3-24.jpg

Torky,

Thank you for your suggestion and I’ll get back to you Monday/Tuesday. Pasting to Paint, huh? I’ve been highlighting/copying the spreadsheet, pasting that to Word, then converting Word to png using an online conversion app. The png easily uploads to my post.

But it certainly could be clearer.

We’ll talk.

I had the same problem with generating a good clear image of an Excel SS that could be attached to a Facebook post (photo, only). I stumbled on highlighting, copying the image, pasting to Paint and saving the paint image as a JPEG, Paint adjusted it to a nice lettrer-size image--and its bullet proof. I might be able to assist you in your Hurst registry quest. Please send me a copy of the Excel SS. Example below originated as a portion of my decoder sheet.
I just followed your "Paste to Paint" instructions and re-posted the July 11th Registry in post #15, above. Compare it to my July 4 image in post #1 and you can see the improvement.

Much thanks for chiming in with your discovery. :thumbsup:

[Also: I have no new info as of July 16, but looking forward to hearing from a few of you soon.]

Back