The view from my office window today

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
It's been very dry this year.
No snow last winter. Got just enough rain early on to keep the wheat going.
Lots of areas have nothing to harvest.
But for today things are good out in the cheap seats

3rd time maybe

20210806_135039.jpg

That's a nice view. Now that 2/3 of my job is office work I envy the guys running equipment.

Lots of areas have nothing to harvest.

I heard that last week. Something about the USA wheat production will come in at 1/3 normal this year.

Cattle guys are in a bad spot.
1/3 of the normal hay crop. If lucky.
Pastures are like parking lots. Water holes are going dry. The reality is a big percentage of the breeding cows will go for slaughter, the run has started. So that means a lot less calves next year. I'm not sure what that means but it makes me nervous.
I have been cutting back on cows for few years. I have 21 cows. So I have pasture and hay but my neighbors dont and are hurting .
Lot of canola grown up here. Canola oil is in everything including bio diesel. It sounds like the heat has ruined the canola crop 100%
So it might not hurt to hoard Kraft Dinner and beans instead of *** wipe.
I'm not a giant global warming flag waver. Drought is nothing real new.
If we get a couple years of it in a row it might make the Corona fungus look rather meek.
I'll be suprized if it dont start raining early September and not know when to quit.
Maybe I've said to much.
For today my combine has a awesome AC system.
I have satellite guided hands free steering.
And satellite radio enjoying Jim Ladd
All my concerns seem small right now

That's a nice view. Now that 2/3 of my job is office work I envy the guys running equipment.

I heard that last week. Something about the USA wheat production will come in at 1/3 normal this year.
Almost seven years ago I took up driving a school bus because its unique schedule and decent pay fit my needs. I now wonder how I could stand being in a windowless cubicle all day.

For today my combine has a awesome AC system.
I have satellite guided hands free steering.
And satellite radio enjoying Jim Ladd
All my concerns seem small right now

Oh man your spoiled. :thumbsup: Every piece of equipment I've ever run has been open to the elements. Most of the bigger stuff had a covering. I'd trade your seat for mine any time you want, even if you get it stuck in a ditch.

Trust me I know what a open tractor and intense dust is all about.
I've been doing this for 45 years. First combine I bought cost me 2500 bucks. It was worn out when I got it. I learned how to fix and mcgiver real fast.

When I say intense dust i mean oats and barley dust all afternoon till dark in 90 degree heat. Sweat makes that itchy **** all that more pleasant.
I rode with my dad on a combine without a cab when I was big enough to hang on. Figured it was fun. To stupid to know better

I'm jealous, I try to make it back for harvest when I can. I tell my wife it's "drawbar therapy". I was running a combine before I had a drivers license. It's still an adrenaline rush, but I don't miss the 15+ hrs days. Where I grew up wheat used to be king, now it's predominantly corn soybeans and a little milo, weird how the fall crops rule the acres now, but it's making them more $$ than wheat. Thank you for what you do!

20191012_185331.jpg

20191012_193057.jpg

20191013_135123.jpg

When I say intense dust i mean oats and barley dust all afternoon till dark in 90 degree heat. Sweat makes that itchy **** all that more pleasant.
I rode with my dad on a combine without a cab when I was big enough to hang on. Figured it was fun. To stupid to know better
I know what you mean, in 69 I was on a custom combine crew. Started in Oklahoma, ended in South Dakota. Massey 410, 7 days a week in an open cab, no umbrella. Ate damn bologna sandwiches with mayo. I hated mayo!

Since I have been working from home the past year and a half, I guess technically this is the view from my office this morning (no filter applied):

A57C0C31-A171-491C-A726-09283B28FF08.jpeg

It looked like this just a couple of days ago:

D0CD23C9-4949-4360-AC41-971CEB4AE785.jpeg

looks like I’ll be staying indoors this weekend. Ugh!

Since I have been working from home the past year and a half, I guess technically this is the view from my office this morning (no filter applied):

View attachment 479625

It looked like this just a couple of days ago:

View attachment 479624

looks like I’ll be staying indoors this weekend. Ugh!
Looks the same way here in Colorado. Been that way for over a week. Worst air quality in the US yesterday.

I'm surrounded by fields here in north central Illinois and this year a bunch of the farmers planted wheat. Never before have I ever seen that crop here, always has been corn or soybeans.

I have great respect for family farms.
I have zero respect for factory farms.
These livestock operations load the animals up with growth hormones and medicated feed.
The hormones to make them grow and the medicated feed to offset the disease caused by confinement.
Maybe they are needed to produce enough food for humans , but I dont like them

I have great respect for family farms.
I have zero respect for factory farms.
These livestock operations load the animals up with growth hormones and medicated feed.
The hormones to make them grow and the medicated feed to offset the disease caused by confinement.
Maybe they are needed to produce enough food for humans , but I dont like them

Thank you for for what you do. That is real work for sure. I have full respect for you and others who work a farm.

Back