Upgrading the electrical system in our 67 Newport Custom

How did you ground the gas tank sending unit? I know there are probably threads regarding that but I'm wondering what you did
Drill a hole in the round plate of the tank sending unit (the plate where the gas line runs through, and the active terminal from the float sensor). You'll have to take the sending unit out to do this.

A hole just big to screw in say a 10-24 short bolt so it sticks out of plate. Solder the head of the bolt in place so it won't leak gas. That bolt is your new ground connection to the tank sending unit. Once the sending unit is mounted back in the gas tank with the locking ring, attach a wire to that bolt and connect it to a nearby convienent (and clean) body screw or bolt. Have it follow the sending unit wire up through the hole in the trunk and find a ground connection in the trunk.

That's perfect thank you
That's a good way to do it.

What I did was slightly different, no drilled hole. I soldered a male spade connector to my new sender.

DBiTpcR.jpg

There's probably a bunch of ways to do it, I've even used a hose clamp with a bare wire stripped back where the clip usually is attached on the outlet tube for a temporary fix on a daily driver. I didn't want to take the sender out. (read it was winter and it was cold LOL)

That's a good way to do it.

What I did was slightly different, no drilled hole. I soldered a male spade connector to my new sender.

View attachment 673951

There's probably a bunch of ways to do it, I've even used a hose clamp with a bare wire stripped back where the clip usually is attached on the outlet tube for a temporary fix on a daily driver. I didn't want to take the sender out. (read it was winter and it was cold LOL)

I have a new tank and sending unit, and I have to do this again, but I might try your method rather than drill a hole and put a bolt there.

I have a new tank and sending unit, and I have to do this again, but I might try your method rather than drill a hole and put a bolt there.
Pretty easy... I squeezed the crimp barrel down flat and bent the connector 90 degrees.

i took the sleazy way out on my sender...the tube was long enough to use a screw type hose clamp to clamp a ground wire on to it and still have enough length for the hose to attach properly...

You couldn't pay me to install that generic kit on ANY vehicle I own or owned. I see its grossly overpriced also. See if you can find a junkyard salvage harness, get some plywood, stake the old harness onto that, then purchase the same colored primary wire one size larger for each circuit, and build your own harness. You can better customize your harness specifically for your needs that way also. You can even obtain a brand new fuse box specific to your Mopar, using the same 1.25" x 0.25" glass body fuses, which were made to a tighter spec than the modern ones, OR get breakers for the key circuits to fit too.

Mind you, electrical wiring is one of my major specialties and talents, and I realize not every soul is so gifted, but if you love your Mopar, DON'T WASTE YOUR KRONER ON BRAINLESS WIRING HARNESSES!

Best Wishes!

Check with Evans wiring. They had several harnesses for my 65 Polara. I bought the engine harness from them, and was very pleased with the quality and speed I got it. Swapping harnesses in a couple hours instead or rewiring for several days sounded much better for the minimal cost.

Back