Using vinegar as a derusting agent

Wollfen

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hey guys i know i have read about using a vinegar solution as a derusting liquid and that most people have great success using 10 percent solution, i am assuming that you are adding ten percent vinegar to water and mixing?

I never used it, but from what I've read, most use undiluted 5% white vinegar.

A lot about rust removal is written here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Search for vinegar and you'll come up with a lot of stories and answers. Look also at molasses while you're there. A lot of guys seem to like that too. I've used oxalic acid myself with great results.

I just tested this on the inside of one of my ashtrays (don't think this is chromed). Standard 5% White Vinegar. I had to let it sit for 2 days and then wiped away all of the rust, fairly easily. The rust was gone but it looked like the metal itself was spotty, some spots darker than others. I do not know if this was from the vinegar or from the rust being heavier in some spots.

I also purchased Behr #63 which I plan to try next (thanks to Saylor for confirming I got the right stuff!)

From the MSDS "Contains oxalic acid solution (less than 10%)"

My understanding is the Oxalic Acid solution should be about 3% so I was going to dilute it down with water a bit. Based on my readings I am also expecting this to work MUCH faster, possibly in 30-60 minutes, depending on the strength of the solution.

Mm, interesting, I may go buy five gallons of 5% vinegar solution and give that a go, i am curious to see what it does.

Mm, interesting, I may go buy five gallons of 5% vinegar solution and give that a go, i am curious to see what it does.

I have seen it work wonders it just takes several days to work, compared to the deck stain which works in minutes/hours; or so I am told. Let us know how you make out either way!

a critical thing to mention.

after treating, oil it or paint it or prep it immediately.

or it will rust. fastly.

After a ton of Googling on citric acid rust removal, I have had excellent results by citric acid powder (ebay, health food stores, etc - very cheap) and ammonia.

The regular vinegar you get in stores (5%) will work fine, it will just take longer. You can also use the other acids mentioned. The advantage of the lower concentrations is that it will be gentler on parts that may have become a bit delicate with corrosion.

Stronger solutions should also be handled with care. Disposal should be done in a safer manner (spashing can burn or cause discomfort). Depending on the strength of the solution, bubbles may form, causing a bit of acidified mist in the area. It's not going to eat away your bench, or anything dramatic, but metal things in the area can start to rust.

Anybody have a opinion, suggestion, smart a$$ comment on 5% vinegar on bronze valve guides, have a set of cylinder heads that got wet flash rust all over pita with wire brush/wheel?

I use apple cider vinegar walmart has large jugs soak a part in there for a week or two it will come out like new but it smells bad

I watched a you-tube video that showed apple cider vinegar won hands down over regular. They soaked rusty pieces for the same amount of time, and the cider was the clear winner.

Back