Vapor lock and flooding on 383

If anything a Mopar big block loves advance, at no point in the timing process should you be firing after tdc. You should set your Initial timing at idle with the advance hose off and the port plugged at about 12 degrees before tdc and iirc you shouldn't have any difference at idle with or without the vacuum advance hooked up. When you increase the rpms to north of 2200 or so you should have over 30 degrees of total advance. This is ballpark as I didn't review what cam you have.

I didn't change anything, just took readings since I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I guess I didn't have the port plugged, the FSM just said to disconnect the vacuum advance. So, I'll have to get another reading tonight.

IIRC, the hash marks on the flywheel only go from like -10 to +10, so how do I get to 12 or 30? My gun has a knob that goes to 60, do i just work off that rather than looking at the flywheel marks?

Sorry I'm such a noob.

So yours was only about a 32nd worn but I think once they start wearing maybe they go quick. I now carry a spare in the tool box but I did buy the bronze tipped one.
That measurement was made with a Stanley 30' tape. (My brand new Harbor Freight digital caliper was junk right out of the box.) Side by side the old rod is slightly shorter and shows some wear. Doubt enough to affect performance but since i have the pump off i'll replace it.
There doesn't appear to be a difference between ends.

I didn't change anything, just took readings since I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I guess I didn't have the port plugged, the FSM just said to disconnect the vacuum advance. So, I'll have to get another reading tonight.

IIRC, the hash marks on the flywheel only go from like -10 to +10, so how do I get to 12 or 30? My gun has a knob that goes to 60, do i just work off that rather than looking at the flywheel marks?

Sorry I'm such a noob.
Set knob to 36° run engine up to 3300 RPM with vacuum advance disconnected and set it at zero on the timing tab. When it settles back to idle and twist the knob back to 15° your mark will be around 0 again. That should be good for what you want to do. Pay attention when you drive that it is not "pinging" if it is you will have to back it off some.

Set knob to 36° run engine up to 3300 RPM with vacuum advance disconnected and set it at zero on the timing tab. When it settles back to idle and twist the knob back to 15° your mark will be around 0 again. That should be good for what you want to do. Pay attention when you drive that it is not "pinging" if it is you will have to back it off some.
I don't have a tach, so should I just go for 15° at idle?

Check your timing light - while maybe not true for your model, most dial back timing lights I've seen also have a tach function built in.

That's probably close or set knob at zero and raise RPM till it stops advancing, then follow above steps.
It will usually gain 20-25° on the mechanical/RPM advance.

Back