Vintage Chrysler Corp dealership pics

image.jpg
DeSoto manufacturing facility

I oh so desperately need back into my life... :(

gtautoparts.jpg

Lennie, Murray, Jeffrey, Bennie, Dickhead, Lennie Jr...

I could see a whole thread on old time parts stores.

Last edited:
I'm sure then that you know what a "Jobber Store" is. I started my parts career working in one. They are dying out. I'm not sure there are any left in Raleigh
You sir, are a true veteran of that once illustrious industry. I thank you for having waited on me.

Weatherly catalog indexing. Buyers guides. Interchange books. Back in the day people did a lot of engine swaps & you really couldn't look up some parts. I would look at the old one & get out my buyers guide & turn to the specification charts & find him a part I had on my shelf that would work. I miss those days. This was common on belts, hoses & shocks.

You used a belt pulley stretcher to measure them, right? Made out of Oak?
Yep, then later they where made of plastic. I got pretty darn good at that. Even if the customer came in with a broken belt. I figured it stretched an inch. Sold him one an inch inch & a half shorter. A little room for error & figured he had some adjustment. Each counterman had his own catalog rack. And we all had our own loyal customers. They would come in the store & line up behind the counterman they wanted to use. It took experience to build that up. You knew you had arived when you had 4 or 5 people waiting

I used to love walking in while people were waiting and have Benny looking up and saying, Stan, that box over there. Tell Mike I'll send him the paperwork later...
lol

I oh so desperately need back into my life... :(

gtautoparts.jpg

Lennie, Murray, Jeffrey, Bennie, Dickhead, Lennie Jr...

I could see a whole thread on old time parts stores.

You knew a guy that was actually named "Dickhead" ?

Several, most likely. Knew a guy who's name was Jagoff... I don't remember his given name. Have a friend who many know as F*&^ bag... funny what goes on in an environment that doesn't require much political correctness and encourages poor behaviors. I once held the email address BIGAWHOLE@aol... just because my idiot service manager required I come up with a work use email address. It was very well received, the foreman even used a label maker and put it on my toolbox for me.

That's what the owners called him. Never knew his real name.
He's the guy they have to give a job to because he's family and was a dickhead in everything he ever did. Always gave you the 6 cylinder set of points when you specifically said 283.

Back