What are you working on today??

Rear brakes on the 72 New Yorker.
More often than not the new drums that are shipped are oval right out of the box. You might not feel it when you drive, but the brake micrometer tells the story. I think a little bump in the shipping is all it takes.
The only place in town to have them machined "wants" $40. The only reason they don't actually "get" the $40 is because nobody is willing to pay it.
So, last week I bought a used FMC/Snap-On brake lathe that cuts drums, rotors and flywheels. She walks, she talks, and yes she comes complete. Money well spent, highly recommend it. $500.
Also got a powered 1952 Biteman first of its kind (I think) rim clamp tire changer machine for $200 and a 1960 or so Micro-Precision tire bubble balancer for $50.
The tire changer works amazingly well for steel wheels. The bead breaker will for sure break the rim of aluminum wheels. Definitely, Absolutely, Positively for sure. But it is scratch free on aluminum for mounting/dismounting with a modern duck bill on the mounting arm.
Success rate with the static bubble balancer with 235/75-15 tires is very good. With fat 255/55-15, not so good.

Installed the Turn Off-road hardtop on ‘Lucy’, our 2021 Ford Bronco.
Rear window with wiper and rear defroster is coming. I already have all of the parts to tie in the wiper and defroster.

Early 2021 Broncos didn’t come with the hardtop or the internals to support it.
A gent on the Bronco 6G forum posted a parts list and the steps to install and program the computer.

We really like this top.

IMG_2801.jpeg
IMG_2800.jpeg

The wind blows the Dodge van outside mirrors back against the door because the tiny little strap clamp screws strip out of the soft aluminum mount that the mirror post well swings in.
I drilled the 4 clamp holes 1/4 inch and taped to 5/16 for 5/16 bolts to replace the little 1/4 bolts.
Fixed.

Took the 'vert out for it's annual New York State inspection. Went to an old buddy's shop and he had a Rambler Marlin outside. Didn't take a pic, I've seen it there before.

The car passed, as it should, and he pounded a new inspection sticker on it... I got home and decided I'd spend the afternoon installing an old rear end in my recliner.

Ive got everything ready now, gonna try and start my 68 300, after 2-1/2 yrs of finding all missing parts and replacing a bunch of important engine parts! Gotta hook up the fuel line and fire it up!?!? Wish me luck!!

Picked up Mel after over 3k in bodywork. A guy pressed in the driver’s side front fender and bumper at an SDSU game. We were in the stadium when it happened. At least he left a note and his insurance paid for everything. The repair looks great.

IMG_2944.jpeg

Progress continues on the renovation.
We should be moving into the new part by the end of the month.
We should have full capability next week…

IMG_2950.jpeg
IMG_2948.jpeg
IMG_2945.jpeg
IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2914.jpeg

Back