What wheels would look good on a Formal NY'er?

. Being anal, I do the change of course. It's a curse...

(Sent using Forum Runner)
First born high d,c or s, it doesn't matter, same curse. I'm gonna fix mine but a Garmin is a pretty easy cheap fix too.

The speed defferential changes with speed. At 20 mph it's actually 23 mph. At 80 mph it's actually going 92 mph. No big deal for me except when I'm driving on the Army base. Any speeding will get you a ticket for sure.

Looking to put the slotted ralley wheel on mine when its all said and done. Chromed out of course. Not sure if thats the correct name for them, but the are the wheels off of the 80s diplomat with the 6 slots. Not sure what else they came on, but they were on a old diplomat cop car i owned a couple years ago

P.S. If anybody close to central IL has an extra one layin around, I would be interested in buying one for my spare. Would like to have soon, cause all chromework is going into the shop around the first of Feb.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a taller tire. I'll have to see what's on mine.

I put a 33" tire on my RAM & the speedo is still dead on. I expected it to be off.

I noticed the same thing on my cousin's '04 2500 with 295/75/17s.... Not sure how it is sensing ground speed, but it obviously can't be strictly mechanical, or the speedometer would have to read low when you increase tire height...?

The speed defferential changes with speed. At 20 mph it's actually 23 mph. At 80 mph it's actually going 92 mph. No big deal for me except when I'm driving on the Army base. Any speeding will get you a ticket for sure.

Speedometers work on a percentage...

60 seconds per mile... 60 MPH
45 seconds per mile... 90 MPH
30 seconds per mile... 120 MPH

Your speedometer is evidently 15% off. Being that far off, I would say someone has tinkered with your car in the past, and it should not be hard to find a gear for your trans. I see with a brief search several for $15 on Ebay...

I would pull your gear out and find one with about 15% less teeth... One bolt on a retainer in your tailshaft... Gravy.

727 Speedo gear.jpg

Also, I like the wheel covers on your car.

727 Speedo gear.jpg

Keep the caps Bob, they look great. MoPar or no car.. IMHO.

Last edited:
Looking to put the slotted ralley wheel on mine when its all said and done. Chromed out of course. Not sure if thats the correct name for them, but the are the wheels off of the 80s diplomat with the 6 slots. Not sure what else they came on, but they were on a old diplomat cop car i owned a couple years ago

P.S. If anybody close to central IL has an extra one layin around, I would be interested in buying one for my spare. Would like to have soon, cause all chromework is going into the shop around the first of Feb.

Police pursuit airfoil is what they are called.They were made for ''Police package'' cars from the mid to late 70's to somewhere in the 80's. I think they were designed to help keep the brakes cool. I have them on my Newport. The coolest ones were on Dodge magnums and Nascar edition Aspens from the late 70's, they look the same and I think the width was the same, but they don't have the three ''nubs'' to hold the caps on. They had a five hole center cap for the lugs and a''beauty ring''. Very Very nice but hard to find.

Thanks! I'll probably leave it as is. The wheel covers that I have on it looks good. I have P235/75R15's on it. They ride and handle good. The only problem is the speedometer is off by 7mph. When I'm driving 55 (speedometer) the GPS says 62.

225/75's or 70's are closer to the recommended size than 235's. Check your door sticker, and do a comparison.

I noticed the same thing on my cousin's '04 2500 with 295/75/17s.... Not sure how it is sensing ground speed, but it obviously can't be strictly mechanical, or the speedometer would have to read low when you increase tire height...?
I was guessing that it measures wheel speed since I kept the stock wheels.

I've been buying a lot of good stuff found on this forum.

It's been many years but I seem to remember just removing the speedo cable & swapping out a sprocket. The different gears are different colors. No?

To get back on topic...Bob I think your formal whould look great with 18" 300 wheels.............(just fuggin with Stan)

Police pursuit airfoil is what they are called.They were made for ''Police package'' cars from the mid to late 70's to somewhere in the 80's. I think they were designed to help keep the brakes cool. I have them on my Newport. The coolest ones were on Dodge magnums and Nascar edition Aspens from the late 70's, they look the same and I think the width was the same, but they don't have the three ''nubs'' to hold the caps on. They had a five hole center cap for the lugs and a''beauty ring''. Very Very nice but hard to find.

These dont have any nubs, center caps, or beauty rings. Just a slotted wheel is all they are. I think they look nice just painted. Cant wait to get im cleaned up and chromed

Last used on the '89 M bodies as far as I know. I'd like to get a set eventually, but If I find a set of road wheels first I'll run them.

Back