Why you can't buy a new small truck.

The 318, auto, a/c, 3.91 rear, extended cab, 93 Dakota I bought in 93 is the same way. Fit and finish is good, parts fit good, easy to work on. I thought 12 grand to be a lot of money at the time. Well worth it in the long run. 300k miles and climbing.
Chrysler didn't design the truck. They paid another American company to design the truck.

The 318, auto, a/c, 3.91 rear, extended cab, 93 Dakota I bought in 93 is the same way. Fit and finish is good, parts fit good, easy to work on. I thought 12 grand to be a lot of money at the time. Well worth it in the long run. 300k miles and climbing.
Chrysler didn't design the truck. They paid another American company to design the truck.
Yes, you are correct in that it wasn't a purely Chrysler in-house design. Here is the brief explanation of how the resources were distributed:

A former Chrysler engineer told us that while the engine was developed within Chrysler, the Dakota itself was engineered by Aero-Detroit, a contract house; some Chrysler engineers were sent to the firm to work with them on the design. The first mule, according to this source, used a Chevrolet S10 body shell. The dimensions of the Dakota were similar to the 1976 International Harvester Scout II Terra, but the Dakota had a separate bed.

I have never been able to find out much of anything about them but they sure knew how to design a rugged truck.

Last edited:
My Ranger

1689167280179.png

This is your basic small truck. It has an automatic, AC and a radio and that's about it. Roll up windows, rubber mat on the floor. It is all the truck I need or want.

It is smaller than the Dakota or Toyota by a lot.

It gets driven less than 2000 miles a year.

If I had to replace it tomorrow, I'd probably wouldn't be able to without a lot of searching and probably have to travel out of state once I did find one. There are a lot of trucks around here... But most are 4wd, extended cab, overpriced monsters that I don't want or need. A nice full size, 2WD 1/2 ton truck without all the bells and whistles would work, but finding a nice one in the used market around here is impossible... Actually finding one on the used market in any condition is tough.... And I don't buy new vehicles, especially for a second vehicle/dump hauler.

I'd probably look at a used mini-van and strip the seats out.

Those are packed in a shipping container and brought here but they are damn near impossible to register in the US. They don't pass US regulations. A fun chore truck for out on the farm.
The 25-year-old requirement applies to these. They can be titled and registered for road use, depends on what state you are in. In OK, you can't drive these on the Interstates, that is the only limitation here. There are a couple out in the parking lot at work that belong to employees.

Last edited:
Sold 1st gens new . I remember blasting around the mmountain roads in a convertible Dakota

This '96 Land Cruiser was marked with a warning "NO SMOG, out of state buyers only". Toyota still makes these for overseas markets only. They're popular with terrorists.

Too bad...I'd take it, less the German flag color decals and snorkel.

IMG_8864.jpeg

IMG_8863.jpeg

The Toyota dealership in Gulfport has 5 of these Marty McFlymobiles in primo condition in their showroom. Pretty cool trucks!
Sold those new as well . IIRC that was a model 8100 . We would send them out for tires , wheels , wild paint job and roll bar . They would sell instantly !

Back