Wrong brake booster? Holes dont line up

oldmanbob

Reaction score
I bought a brake booster, don't remember when or where, for my 1969 Plymouth Fury III convertible. It's front disks, rear drums. The booster is a Bendix single diaphragm (I think), part no. 18268. The 4 mounting studs don't line up with the holes in the backing plate, firewall and brake pedal assembly, yet I thought I was purchasing the correct booster. Stupidly, I didn't verify the new booster would fit before I gave away the old booster to be refurbished. Anyone have an idea what booster I should try to find instead of the Bendix #18268 to fit my car? Your assistance is appreciated.

You need the best-Bendix Dual Diaphragm, just like the one you probably traded in. I always say rebuild what you have, rather than get a generic rebuild. They laugh at you all the way to the bank, knowing they got the better end of the stick.

Did you take that backing plate off I just went from manual drum to power drum on my 70. And when I took the backing plate off there was the wider holes for the booster behind it.

You need the best-Bendix Dual Diaphragm, just like the one you probably traded in. I always say rebuild what you have, rather than get a generic rebuild. They laugh at you all the way to the bank, knowing they got the better end of the stick.
You are right, of course. Oddly, the old one looked a lot like my new, single diaphragm one, big diameter but relatively flat. I will post pics of the new one tomorrow.

Picture of the current booster?
Thank you, here are some pics.

20240518_084156.jpg

20240518_084101.jpg

20240518_084124.jpg

20240518_084129.jpg

Thank you, I will check that and see.
You are right, the firewall has more holes behind the backing plate, but none of them line up correctly, either. Appreciate the thought, though
It must have been changed before you got it then-sorry.
Yes, good guess, or maybe a previous owner converted the car from front drums to front discs using stock front disc brake hubs/caliper brackets, but left the all-drum booster in place. Or something. Anyway, something will work out one way or another. Maybe "Booster Matt" whoever the current booster rebuilder is, can help. Thank you.

Unfortunately, those stampings do not always equate a full Chrysler part number, like would be in the Chrysler parts book. They can also relate to just that ONE part of the assy, if the rear part was more generic and went to other brands of vehicles.

Thanks for the pictures!

CBODY67

Unfortunately, those stampings do not always equate a full Chrysler part number, like would be in the Chrysler parts book. They can also relate to just that ONE part of the assy, if the rear part was more generic and went to other brands of vehicles.

Thanks for the pictures!

CBODY67
Yeah

Interesting, sounds like parts get swapped out in the reman process, with mix and match final results. I wrote "Booster Dewey" about my issue and will see what his response says. I did find part numbers in my old 1969 dealer parts manual, for two different boosters. For what it's worth.

The booster in your photo's is newer.

Appears to be for an Aspen/Volare, along with the various later B body based cars.

brake booster.JPG

Jeff

Check your fender tag or build sheet if available, to see if your car had the power disc brakes from the factory. That would answer most of your questions then.

I had a 69 Fury with power drum brakes, it had the Midlands single diaphragm and the 69 New Yorker, power disc brake car I have, has a Bendix Dual Diaphragm booster.

When you say that you "gave away" your original booster, do you mean that you sent it out to be rebuilt and it will be back in a month or so? Or did you actually give it away, and it's gone for good?

If it's gone, and you have nothing, you could use the large, single diaphragm booster for '71-'73 C bodies. It looks like Rock Auto has them in stock for $130.

More Information for CARDONE 5473700

Jeff

Check your fender tag or build sheet if available, to see if your car had the power disc brakes from the factory. That would answer most of your questions then.
The fender tag was gone when I bought it and there was no build sheet, either. Thank you for the suggestions however, appreciate the thought.

Back