Hellcat Totaled after 18 Miles

Reminds me of the first hemi car dad brought home. Thing went 90 deg sideways on him as came off the line on northwestern hwy at 12 mi.

Since my post got so many dislikes, think about how many innocent people get endangered by someone not being able to handle such "thing", I wouldn't want a knock on the door hearing someone like this collided with my kid cause of stupidity.... And m thought is, if you want it bad enough, then you do what it takes!?

Since my post got so many dislikes, think about how many innocent people get endangered by someone not being able to handle such "thing", I wouldn't want a knock on the door hearing someone like this collided with my kid cause of stupidity.... And m thought is, if you want it bad enough, then you do what it takes!?
I'm not worried in the least about getting hit by someone in a Hellcat, I've never seen one on the road. Now, some f*@ktard in a shitbox playing on their phone, that's a whole different story.

I don't want/ like restrictions on anything. We have to many as it is. People get hurt getting up in the morning, you can not protect everyone from everything .
840 horse, 707 horse, 375, or 25 it can all be dangerous given the right circumstances.

If you just make it available to them they won't do it. It's just like with guns, there should be proof of training g required before you can even buy. Should be a mandatory manufacturers thing, you can pick up your hellcat after you completed their training with...
I neither liked nor disliked... but comparison to gun laws is bound to get a reaction... I wouldn't take it as a personal thing.

Personally I kinda like that such equipment is available to the masses (for now)... and I hate the texting, unconscious and (other) Ahole drivers out there (obviously, I am pretty happy with myself). I also agree that most drivers are incapable of handling the power very well. I tend to see more problems from the morons doing wheelies on 2 wheels that will beat any car in power/weight ratios.

The fastest cars I ever drove (real life fast, not numbers fast) were 5-600HP MB AMG cars... but the electronics to keep the drivers out of trouble were really what drove the cars (other than plain old going too fast to be saved) I talked to one fella who had put an SL65 airborne, he claimed the car didn't even squiggle when it landed... and yes, we did repair the suspension under warranty on that one. Nobody I ever knew could put the vehicle dynamic systems to sleep, burnouts were as much as we could fool the systems. For 1/4 of the price, owners are getting top power output numbers and less electronics helping them drive it... I imagine the time this is available will be limited.

different views on the theme are possible.

It is not much different to me then driving a 440+6 or Hemi car on bias ply tires back in the day. Some could handle it, some not.
To me it is Darwin.

The general problem IMHO:
Most americans are not really used to fast hi speed driving. They are not experienced in cruising with 130-160mph steadily in a bumper to bumper traffic. You have to be careful exspecially with slower traffic which hits your lane etc
The traffic on US Interstates or Highways is slow & usually not aggressive.
But a lot of drivers don't pay much attention. So those who want to go fast need a lot of experience how to handle the car in an emergency

Carsten

It is not much different to me then driving a 440+6 or Hemi car on bias ply tires back in the day. Some could handle it, some not.
To me it is Darwin.

Most americans are not really used to fast hi speed driving. They are not experienced in cruising with 130-160mph steadily in a bumper to bumper traffic. You have to be careful exspecially with slower traffic which hits your lane etc
But a lot of drivers don't pay much attention. So those who want to go fast need a lot of experience how to handle the car in an emergency

Carsten
EXACTLY. I feel the same way about this. I was very lucky to have been taught how to handle a car by one of the best drivers I ever knew. I was lucky in the fact my dad was one of the biggest gear heads around, I think he got it from growing up in the south during prohibition. Man he loved to drive fast.
Also, working for the railroad, I had to learn how to drive a train and later teach others in that fine art. Even though they are on rails, controlling 400,000 lbs. of rolling stock is an acquired art.
Let people enjoy the things in life, but teach them how to do it where they do not kill themselves or others.

Last edited:

To me it is Darwin.

Carsten

These cars aren't being destroyed cruising at 130-160 mph. They are wrecking them from a low speed with WOT.

These cars aren't being destroyed cruising at 130-160 mph. They are wrecking them from a low speed with WOT.
Most likely, (and this is pure speculation), They get scared when the car becomes more for them to handle. Dobalover said in an earlier post, it scared him when the back end broke lose at 80 mph.
When people are trained to handle certain situations, when that time comes they can fall back on their training, do not train them at all and then you have an accident.

Most likely, (and this is pure speculation), They get scared when the car becomes more for them to handle. Dobalover said in an earlier post, it scared him when the back end broke lose at 80 mph.
When people are trained to handle certain situations, when that time comes they can fall back on their training, do not train them at all and then you have an accident.

When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to score a ride in a 427 Cobra. My father raved about those cars and one day his buddy decided to show me what my dad had been talking about. He brought that car sideways at (and please forgive my hyperbolic memory, this was a big day for me) 65MPH on the highway and it SCARED THE B_JEEZUS OUT OF ME.
Now, my first Monaco would break loose on second and chirp into third but that was about it and it was a drastically different experience than my Scat Pack breaking loose at 50 which was almost as impressive as that first Cobra ride. I personally couldn't see myself in a Hellcat or a Demon in any other setting than a closed track/space with some time to learn.
Thats just me. I love f***ing around but prefer to learn a goodly amount beforehand. I'm thankful I got that ride in that Cobra well before I ever drove anything larger than a Cub Cadet.

Germany has 8000 miles of autobahn and about half of those miles have a speed limit. The U. S. has 77,000 miles of interstate. I enjoyed my 15 years driving as fast as I could on the German roads.

To me it is Darwin.

Carsten

I agree with you. Most Americans are ill prepared to drive at high speeds and I'm talking even just 70 mph. Forty hours tooling around in driver's training at 16 doesn't cut it. Add some water, snow or ice into the mix and the problem is compounded.

First half of them are playing with their phones which eliminates them immediately. Should have seen what I did with a 30 year old woman last week on her phone right behind me. Maybe she learned a lesson or maybe not. Then there are those who can't keep both hands on the wheel. Followed by those who are having a conversation with the person in the car with them. Won't even get into a mismatch between driver and the vehicle driven.

All it takes is one measly second to change your life at 65 mph. This morning a Tesla bus taking workers back out to their homes in the Stockton area rammed a 2002 VW crushing the car completely. An Alameda Sheriff, just off shift, was crushed to death. The bus slammed into the car at 65 mph which had come to a stop on the freeway. Want to guess who wasn't paying attention for a couple of seconds.

When you think about a whole generation having grown up with front wheel drive appliances i'm not surprised. They are liable to panic driving some real iron. I took a niece and nephew for a spin in my goat a few years back. Poor kids got scared when i spun the rear tires and flat out panicked when i got her sideways. That was standard fare in H.S. parking lots in my day.

Horse power and torque have been helping thin out the herd for decades. I can remember going about 140mph in a 69 Road Runner long before Radial tires and the roads were less well maintained. Was living proof that sometimes god watches over fools and children.
It sucks that anyone get hurt, but another law won't fix that anymore than it has fixed drug abuse or theft

One thing for living in the north is most of us learned how to control a skid from driving in snow for months every year.
And Dad taught us all about relaxed driving. Right arm across the bench seat, left arm on the window sill, two finger on the wheel. Griswald style summer vacation, Mt Rushmore, SLC, Lombard Street, PCH, Disneyland, Grand Canyon, Rt.66 home, two fingers. Family truckster was a brand new Newport wagon pullin a travel trailer. Thing was bulletproof! :thumbsup:

Back