68 Fury 3 questions

Thanks again guys for all the advice. Parts on order and when I get home I will start working on it. I think I'll mix all of the advice.

Flush it out and flush out the water jacket plugs. Run it with some water in it. Then replace almost the entire cooling system as I have already ordered a radiator, hoses, water pump, larger fan and fan clutch. Might get a thermostat just to be sure while its all out.

So I just looked at the old fan closer now that I received the new fan and fan clutch and it appears as though there is no fan clutch on the current fan. I have a picture but can't post it for an hour till I get home. Anyone have any input on this? I'm confused.

Either way the new radiators on its way and the larger fan, fan clutch and water pump all arrived today so in excited to get this fixed.

Figured out how to post from my phone. Thoughts? image.jpg

image.jpg

Figured out how to post from my phone. Thoughts?View attachment 35434

You're converting the car from a direct drive fan to a clutch drive fan. In order to work properly, on a non shrouded fan, the direct drive fan needs to be relatively close to the radiator, hence that enormous spacer pushing the fan forward. You're going to need the correct spacer for the clutch & fan, which will likely be much thinner to get the fan spaced properly to the shroud you'll be installing. You may also need to change the water pump pulley as well to make sure the diameter is correct for the fan application (possible but not guaranteed).

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression it had one stock but clearly should have done more research first.

Is this not recommended? Should I simply install the new larger fan and return the clutch I ordered?

I'm not loving the idea of converting the fan to a clutch style if it doesn't offer any significant advantage. Is there anything to be gained in the change or would it be more of a headache? Which it already will be since I ordered a fan clutch and clutch style fan not mechanical drive.

Thanks. I really should have looked into that first..feeling silly now

There's a lot to be gained esp if you have or find a fan shroud that will work with it. Improved cooling and the clutch fan robs less ponies.

From the picture it looks like there's well over an inch and maybe 2" between the fan and the rad. That's a little far .. probably should be about 1/2 to 1" max w/ 3/4" ideal. You may be loosing some cooling there.

I'm not loving the idea of converting the fan to a clutch style if it doesn't offer any significant advantage. Is there anything to be gained in the change or would it be more of a headache? Which it already will be since I ordered a fan clutch and clutch style fan not mechanical drive.

Thanks. I really should have looked into that first..feeling silly now

One reply to both postings: No need to feel silly. If I had a nickel for every botched cooling system "improvement" I've seen, it'd have paid for me to restore a car. Your basic problem is the engine and thus the cooling system is not giving up the heat that it has accumulated with the engine running. Your car is 45 or so years old. It's overdue for some basic maintenance. Clean out the system. Oxalic acid works great to break up the crud that's accumulated in the block as well as the rad. You neutralize it with plain old baking soda. Drain everything that's in the system now. Pull of the lower rad hose to dump most of it quickly. Remove the drain plugs in the block to see if you can get flow out of those too. That will tell you how badly the block is plugged up. Seal everything back up, take the thermostat out and reinstall the upper rad hose with no 'stat. Fill the system with water, add about 3/4 of a cup of oxalic acid (if you can't find that, crystal Drano is the next best thing). Run/drive the car for about an hour, keeping an eye on the temperature gauge. If it starts to get even hotter, then bring it home and dump the system. Wait for everything to cool off, and try flushing by putting the hose in each of the rad hoses and check to see what you're getting out of the other rad hose as well as out of the drain plug holes in the block. Repeat this until you can't get any more crud out. Then run the baking soda in the car for 10-15 minutes to neutralize anything that hasn't been flushed out. Put in a NEW thermostat. Your car only needs a 180°F. If you live where the temps are moderate in the summer you can try running a 192°F 'stat, but keep in mind the gauge was calibrated to show 180°F as "normal" not 192°F. If you run the car with a 192, it'll likely show overheating on the gauge.

Your four blade ran and no shroud was all that Chrysler engineering felt your car needed to operate properly when everything is clean internally. Having cooling passages restricted with crud compromises the system the longer you let it run that way. A 7blade fan, clutch and fan shroud will improve your cooling capability significantly. But that's not going to make up for plugged passages.

Start by cleaning what you've got thoroughly and see what that does for you.

Thank you guys again. I plan to do that tomorrow. I also still plan on installing the new radiator I purchased as well as water pump and thermostat. Its been neglected for so long and had some shady repairs so I would feel more comfortable with this.

As far as the clutch fan conversion. All I need to add in theory is a shorter spacer to accommodate the new fan clutch in front of the fan correct? The water pump pulley will be off to install the new water pump anyway. I was also looking at fabbing a shroud for now just out of some extra 3" aluminum sheet my friend has lying around his body shop.

Thank you guys again. I plan to do that tomorrow. I also still plan on installing the new radiator I purchased as well as water pump and thermostat. Its been neglected for so long and had some shady repairs so I would feel more comfortable with this.

As far as the clutch fan conversion. All I need to add in theory is a shorter spacer to accommodate the new fan clutch in front of the fan correct? The water pump pulley will be off to install the new water pump anyway. I was also looking at fabbing a shroud for now just out of some extra 3" aluminum sheet my friend has lying around his body shop.

I don't have one of these cars so I'm not up on parts difficulty. But would it be 'that' hard to find an OE fan shroud? Whether you go with an OE shroud or make one up, the two important things to remember are (a), seal the shroud TIGHT to the rad. The fan doesn't care where it gets the air from that it moves. Make it do it's job properly and pull the air through the rad core, and (b) the opening in the fan shroud needs to be located at the mid point of the fan blades. Closer to the core or closer to the engine, it's not going to do its job properly.

Those fan shrouds are a little tough to find in decent shape but not impossible. They show up from time to time on E-bay and may be listed for other Mopar applications as well. I'm sure someone here has the factory numbers of the shroud that will help you be able to search for it.

Is the rad you bought a stock type one from the same year or aftermarket?

I don't recall ever seeing a clutch fan with a spacer but then again I've always worked on BBs. Mock it up and see how close it is or just measure from the bolting surface of the CF mount to the clutch unit and measure the distance from your water pump pulley to the rad face and see what the clearance is. Or just bolt it up and see how it fits.

Obviously you will need some shorter bolts for to attach the clutch fan w/o the spacer

It is an aftermarket fan however designed for the car and the same orientation/shape.

Good, does the aftermarket rad already have provisions for a fan shroud? I'm assuming you got the 22"

If attaching points are there how many bolts on each side? If no attaching points you can mod the frame like Gary did on his .. posted several posts back.

The brand and a picture or two of the rad would help people see if they have a shroud that may work.

Thank you. The radiator should be in today or tomorrow and when it is I will post pictures. But as far as I could tell it was the closest I could find to stock shape, size, orientation while being aluminum. Its through champion.

Back