Convertible Fury - 1970

I took my rear seat to an upholster over the weekend, and he said they are too far gone to save. He said it would be about $1,500 to make new front and back seats. I'm not in the market for that right now, but I actually thought it would be more because the seats are pretty complicated.

I removed the front seat sliding mechanism from the seat frame so I can repair and paint it. Does anyone make reproductions of the large springs? Both of mine are broken. Other than that, the mechanism is in pretty good shape. Are there supposed to be plastic spacers between the seat mechanism and the floor? I was browsing National Mo-parts to look for springs and saw this: Front Seat Rail 1/2" Plastic Spacer-Repro
Jeff, you may want to check with Legendary interiors and maybe one or two others regarding buying an upholstery kit. They may not advertise Cbodies on their website but they do some for sure. I am also sure it would be cheaper too since you could put the covers on yourself.

IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3147.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
Legendary does have the seat covers for your car and they fit well. The material they use is top notch. I got my seats , roof, boot and rug from them. I would happily recommend them !

Unless something has changed recently, as far as I know, Legendary doesn't have seat kits for 1970 Fury models. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

Unless something has changed recently, as far as I know, Legendary doesn't have seat kits for 1970 Fury models. Correct me if I'm wrong.....
The don't list them on their website, but I have not called.

Here is a picture of the insert on the rear seat. I understand that the top is supposed to be painted "argent." They must have chromed the whole thing and then painted that section.
20170418_073549.jpg

Jeff this is what came from the factory on my car.

IMG_20130417_134807.jpg

Paul cleaned it all up and decided to renew the argen. Since the argent is a matt finish he didn't clear coat it so a problem has appeared. Usually when I'm running with the top up, I just drape the tonneau cover over the back seat rest. That way if I get the urge to drop the top I don't have fiddle with anything, just pull the latches and hit the button. The tonneau cover rubs against the top of the speaker grill and now I have a bald spot with chrome showing and an argent smear on the top surface of the tonneau cover. So either clear coat it or just leave it chrome.
As it turned out, I had two grills, one argent and one chrome. The argent one is from my car, the other I'm not sure. They are identical except for the paint.

Speaker_Grills.jpg

I thought the argent looked classier so I stayed stock, but whatever floats your boat works too!

Great info! That probably explains the bald spot on mine too. Thanks Bill.

I painted mine with this: NEW Mopar Performance Argent Silver RALLYE WHEEL Enamel Spray Paint, OEM Mopar | eBay

Matched very well to the original.

Shop around for a better price.

John, is there a close, off-the-shelf version of this color paint? Krylon or Rustoleum? I have painted the silver with some satin paint I had, but the chrome underneath does not have good adhesion even after first scuffing and then using etching primer. I plan on a re-spray only this time laying on a few coats of matte clear.

John, is there a close, off-the-shelf version of this color paint? Krylon or Rustoleum? I have painted the silver with some satin paint I had, but the chrome underneath does not have good adhesion even after first scuffing and then using etching primer. I plan on a re-spray only this time laying on a few coats of matte clear.
There probably is. I think I read that there's a Krylon that's close in color. I looked around and ended up with the Mopar Perf stuff. It seems to be OK... If you remember from Carlisle last year, I did have an issue with my grille, but after stripping the paint off, I decided it was a problem with the old paint underneath.

It's been my experience that silver paint in spray bombs is a little problematic anyway.... The thickness builds fast but doesn't dry correctly... That said, I've had no issues with the paint on my wheels or the speaker grille. After I redid the grille, it's been good.

I've used Eastwood Argent Wheel paint along with their primer. I don't know what Paul used, but I'm going to respray with the wheel paint, hopefully it's tougher.

Last edited:
300 interior 4.JPG
300 interior 3.JPG
new front seats.JPG
Great info! That probably explains the bald spot on mine too. Thanks Bill.

You can remedy that by placing a soft towel over the area before draping the cover over it.
I used Legendary for my 69 300 seat covers and top boot and was very pleased. The rear seat cover is not to difficult to install yourself, but I left the front covers to a pro trimmer. Be sure to use an automotive grade foam for the buns. We went a bit thicker on the front seats and it made a BIG difference in comfort.

I got my carpet from Trim Parts and set it in the car tonight. I like the color and I think it is going to fit well, but I am not digging the bright green heel pad.
2017-04-20 19.30.59.jpg

I think I will run some extra wires to the back while I have the interior out. Any suggestions on gauge/quantity, and solid vs. stranded?

I think I will run some extra wires to the back while I have the interior out. Any suggestions on gauge/quantity, and solid vs. stranded?
What do you need or anticipate? Never use solid wire in a car.

I will eventually relocate the electric fuel pump to near the tank. It is currently in the engine compartment. I don't think I will add anything, but someone might want to add speakers later. I was thinking of having them there in case an existing connector or wire went bad.

I will eventually relocate the electric fuel pump to near the tank. It is currently in the engine compartment. I don't think I will add anything, but someone might want to add speakers later. I was thinking of having them there in case an existing connector or wire went bad.
FWIW, I would let the next guy pull the interior again... the fuel pump wiring would be wise, match what you have/need by gauge size, then maybe color. I don't have a big problem with extra wires, but they will only add to confusion for anyone else (and you, years later). If you are doing any additional wires, start making a binder with your add on wires drawn into photocopies of the factory wiring. Keep it with the car and a copy for safety at home.

It's an easy job to run new wiring at any time, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thx, I'll take that advice. I guess i was overthinking it.

Back