Gearing change... rear end or transmission?

I put 2.76's in my New Yorker and would not recommend it, unless you're just driving cross-country. I checked the fuel mileage a couple times back when I was driving it regularly and it dropped at least 2 mpg from around 11 to 8-or 9 mpg at best after the gear swap. You're just heating up the environment with the torque converter getting it up to highway speed with those gears. Might be a little better with the stick.

I had the same result going from a 3.23 to a 2.76. Lost 2 MPG suburban driving.
My shift points were too low for the 2.76 rear gear.
I moved them up to 25 and 40 light/part throttle. Completely different suburban driving experience after that. Now it takes great advantage of all that nice easy-going low rpm torque. Gets 14 suburban, don't know about full on stop and go light to light city, never seen it in this car.
MPG went from 14 at 70 with the 3.23 to 18 at 70 with the 2.79.
1964 New Yorker 10 to 1 compression 413. Too bad it only likes 93 octane.

Long term... definitely. When I can source an OD trans at a decent price I will jump on it.
If you find one, you need the truck/van version to get the long tail shaft. All of the f/m/j and a body units are short.

I have 3.23 gears in my 66 300, 383/auto with a 30” rear tire and it works pretty good for me. 265/70r15 on a 15x7” US Mag 5 spoke (like a torque thrust original but better looking in my opinion)

Travis..

(like a torque thrust original but better looking in my opinion)
:eek: Blasphemy!!!

IMG_0002.JPG

Here ya go. I like the straight spoke, and I think they nailed the dimensions. There are other straight spoke wheels that I do not like.
Travis..

View attachment 681567
This is yours @Dads300 This is the US Mag? that looks the same as the one I was looking at. gives me another option.... It's a ways out anyway. not even thinking about it until the tires on her now are needing replacement.

Yes, this is my wheel on my car. Yes, it is from U.S.Mag, 15x7. I really like the look of them. Here’s a shot with my 300 and my brothers coronet. His has torque thrust original (not D) and mine are U.S. Mag. I prefer the spoke shape and color on mine.
Travis..

IMG_0983.png

Last edited:
Just thinking, it’s funny what you’re looking to do. My brothers car has an o/d 833 in it behind a low comp 440. He’s still working on his combo. He has the big summit cam in it and isnt happy with it. He has a new Howard’s cam to try, and I just gave him a 3.55 chunk and a straight 833 to try. He’s gonna swap things around until he’s happy with the combo. He currently has 3.23 and his tires aren’t overly tall, 27”?

On the other hand, I had a 67 barracuda with a 360, o/d 833, , and 3.23 gears with 245/60/14s. I happened to love that combo. It’s hard to tell what is gonna work, and what you’re gonna like unless you try it.
Travis..

Back