Headers. Why?

I would love to see it too.

Never been to a track, but seat of the pants tells me it's not fast enough.

Go see a ProMod race.... 5.80 ET @ 250 mph

JonStouffer-cuda.jpg

Go see a ProMod race.... 5.80 ET @ 250 mph

JonStouffer-cuda.jpg

I'd love to see that. Been to the NHRA event up in Brainerd, those top fuel cars are something else. I love it when you can feel the power as they pass.

Wasn't there a guy running a Fury bodied pro-mod, damn that was ages ago?

This is an interesting test but I would have loved to seen the logs included

this is a 500 HP 440 with ported heads ... A Heads-Up Dyno Blast On Manifolds Versus Headers By Hedman from HR mag. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0106-manifolds-vs-headers/

Here's the head work article referenced .. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0106-how-to-install-ported-stage-v-heads/

Dyno Duel
With exhaust options now running the gambit from stock iron manifolds to short tubes or full-length headers, the question becomes which one to use. We wanted to know how they stacked up in power production. Since we had a 440 on the dyno, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to wind them up and see for ourselves. Our test engine was a stout 440 street piece capable of 500 hp running fully ported heads (see "Stage V Booster Blast" in this issue). On an engine package built to this level, exhaust scavenging became critical, magnifying the effects of exhaust-system changes. For maximum output, this engine really wanted a set of 2-inch drag race headers such as Hedman's Husler #75340-but we were testing street headers, not full-house drag headers.

First, we bolted on a set of stock iron 440 Magnum manifolds. These had a nicely swept design, and except for the rare Max Wedge cast-iron headers, were about as good as it got in factory iron. On this high-powered 440, the iron manifolds were a blatant misapplication. We knew power would be way down, but some guys still insist that these old iron lumps work as well as headers. Winding up the 440 against the Superflow 901 dyno at Westech Performance Group, the 440 choked while exhaling through the open iron manifolds. The power numbers on this hot engine combo crashed, with the output listed in Tables 1 and 2, Columns 1. It was worse than even we imagined.

Lined up side by side

Magnums vs headers 440 engine 500 HP.JPG

68 peak TQ and 70 Peak HP diff differential

The shortie really doesn't fare to badly !

Magnums vs headers 440 engine 500 HP.JPG

Years ago i Installed a 72 400 HP engine into a 71 Polara 4 dr. I installed it with Hooker Headers right from the box. I always swore that was the best engine I ever owned. Could those headers have been the reason ?

Thank you Bryan

Welcome Dave

Now compare the 72 Low compression motor to a 440 that some may build .. 500 HP range and the value of breathing really shows

Smaller differences on the LC motor and major differences on the Higher Compression motor with some Mods many do that are well within a lot of peoples range and are not a race engine.

Even if you wouldn't invest $1.5 to 2K more for the 500 HP build vs your LC motor rebuild (diff being heads, manifold, carb vs stock) you would most likely bump up the compression and have a MP electronic ignition even if you stay with stock rebuilt heads, intake and carb .. your HP would move up based on the compression alone and the differences would be more substantial than the 7.5 compression test engine.

Sorry it's hard to read but hopefully you can adjust screen size to magnify .. my spreadsheet was getting pretty crowded

10-20 TQ and HP jumps (more with more compression) vs 50 - 75 TQ and HP jumps

Formal compared to HP 440 with MODS.jpg

Formal compared to HP 440 with MODS.jpg

You called ??

Here's one with 3 dudes and a chick in the car

Very, very nice.....

But even empty..... that car is not a 10.00 ET on a real 1/4 mile track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back