Headers. Why?

Other than the "look cool factor" headers really doesn't gain much at all.

Again....your car.....do what you want. I'm gaining almost as much HP on my 5,000 lb 78 NYB changing from single to dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40's and no cats.

That's the one. Go read the whole thread interesting hop ups that could work well on a c body and it will run on junk gas.

But check this out

He then put the dyno headers on it

IQ52 exhaust tests.jpg

That was a pretty mild engine .. almost stock IIR .. I wanted to see it a little performance'd up to like a HP 440 level minus compression and then try the test.

And I'd love to see those tests run with a stock 440 HP, with no head work then some head work.

I don't think this test really proves anything to me. He took a really low HP motor and put the 3 diff exhaust options on it and tested.

I think you would see much more difference on an HP engine with a good dual plane intake, appropriate carb for the size and flow, and then test the 3 options.

After he did this is when he changed the intake from old iron one and 650 carter to a ... and 750 Holley

IQ52 exhaust tests.jpg

It looks like he saw a hair more power with the headers. Would the extra 11 horse power going from hp manifolds to headers justify spending 800 for a pair of tti headers?... or an extra 15 if you go from logs to headers.

Again....your car.....do what you want. I'm gaining almost as much HP on my 5,000 lb 78 NYB changing from single to dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40's and no cats.

Gains of 26 HP on a 275 horse power engine is almost 10%. On a stock 70 350hp gives you almost 35 extra plus fuel mileage, they aren't for everyone but why poo poo on someone else's dream...... Okay maybe not.

Here's the next test

remember what it is ..

So, here is our first dyno pull with a 1972 440, .040" overbore for 448 ci, cast pistons 7.45:1 compression, cast crankshaft, stock 906 iron heads, 1967 600 cfm Carter 4bbl, 1972 factory cast iron intake, Summit Racing SUM-6400 camshaft 214/224 @ .050 .444"/.466" lift 112 LS 106 ICL, 1964 factory cast iron exhaust manifolds.

IQ52 exhaust tests 2.jpg

To me that not super telling as far as the difference between logs, cheap headers, TTI headers maybe .. 7.45 compression and 600 CFM carb with a weak cam.

If it was even a stock 440 Magnum with an aftermarket dual plane or Torker II intake, stock 10 or 9.5 to 1 compression, and a stock cam, and an appropriately sized carb the spread and numbers would be different as well as the RPM in which the peaks came in and the bands widened.

Unfortunately a head builder isn't interested in going through the gamut with HP manifolds against headers testing and this is as far as it got with magnum manifolds. I don't blame him and I really appreciate his posts but I wish someone would do it.

IQ52 exhaust tests 2.jpg

It was a very mundane engine

That was a pretty mild engine .. almost stock IIR .. I wanted to see it a little performance'd up to like a HP 440 level minus compression and then try the test.

And I'd love to see those tests run with a stock 440 HP, with no head work then some head work.

I don't think this test really proves anything to me. He took a really low HP motor and put the 3 diff exhaust options on it and tested.

I think you would see much more difference on an HP engine with a good dual plane intake, appropriate carb for the size and flow, and then test the 3 options.

After he did this is when he changed the intake from old iron one and 650 carter to a ... and 750 Holley

To me that not super telling as far as the difference between logs, cheap headers, TTI headers maybe .. 7.45 compression and 600 CFM carb with a weak cam.

If it was even a stock 440 Magnum with an aftermarket dual plane or Torker II intake, stock 10 or 9.5 to 1 compression, and a stock cam, and an appropriately sized carb the spread and numbers would be different as well as the RPM in which the peaks came in and the bands widened.

Unfortunately a head builder isn't interested in going through the gamut with HP manifolds against headers testing and this is as far as it got with magnum manifolds. I don't blame him and I really appreciate his posts but I wish someone would do it.​

Almost everyone here has a much stronger engine than that except stock Formals .. that's about what that is. So Formal owners with stock engines should keep their logs is the conclusion I draw from it.

Gains of 26 HP on a 275 horse power engine is almost 10%. On a stock 70 350hp gives you almost 35 extra plus fuel mileage, they aren't for everyone but why poo poo on someone else's dream...... Okay maybe not.

Because it's the FCBO way.

It was a very mundane engine

Almost everyone here has a much stronger engine than that except stock Formals .. that's about what that is. So Formal owners with stock engines should keep their logs is the conclusion I draw from it.

Hence, the first post!

Why do you want headers on your C-body?
Discuss, please. :argue:

Gimme a break....what horsepower???

There isn't a C-Body on this entire forum even close to 10 seconds. LOL!!!

If that happens then the d body imperial need there own.... The imperial were adopted in as an almost c body... where as the formals are still in the c body family. bajajoaquin can mod the forimperialsonly.com

If that happens then the d body imperial need there own.... The imperial were adopted in as an almost c body... where as the formals are still in the c body family. bajajoaquin can mod the forimperialsonly.com

Aren't 74-75 Imps considered Formal's?

Gimme a break....what horsepower???

There isn't a C-Body on this entire forum even close to 10 seconds. LOL!!!

Great, now I gotta do it. The Polara was suppose to be a driver, but now you pushed me over the edge. Thanks for the incentive, although it will be a while before I get there. 10's sounds good.

Back