Help!!!! Column Assembly for a father son project.

Blue Brick

Reaction score
I acquired a 1977 Newport as a project car for my 16 year old middle son and me. The column was a disassembled by the previous owner because of a stock ignition cylinder and I am not sure if I have all the correct parts or exactly how it goes back on. Any feedback would be helpful.

We replaced the cylinder and this kind of how we think it goes back together. I don't know where all the screws go or if I need to get more at the hardware store. From what I understand this is a Saginaw column.

Side note the Cammels are not mine, came with the car, and are from 2011.
Jan_26_2024_8_55_33.jpg
Jan_26_2024_8_55_33.jpg
Jan_10_2024_4_57_56.jpg
Jan_26_2024_9_05_41.jpg
Jan_26_2024_8_56_06.jpg
Jan_26_2024_8_55_38.jpg
Jan_26_2024_8_55_43.jpg
Jan_26_2024_8_55_59.jpg
Jan_26_2024_8_55_54.jpg
Jan_26_2024_9_05_33.jpg

Do you have the factory service manual and the factory parts catalogue for your car? It's very worthwhile making the investment. You can likely find on on line, or buy an actual hard copy from a retailer like Bishko. Bishko shows both available on CD. Get them.

Bishko Automobile Literature - Search Literature

What you have is a Saginaw-made Tilt and Telescoping column. It's a bit complicated, but you should be able to reassemble it.

This is a generic exploded diagram of a T/T column that should be informative. It comes from a parts catalogue (I don't know which year), but the diagram gives a fairly clear indication of the order of parts for assembly and disassembly. Some things may not be exact, but you'll get the right idea.

1706330617056.png

Do you have the factory service manual and the factory parts catalogue for your car? It's very worthwhile making the investment. You can likely find on on line, or buy an actual hard copy from a retailer like Bishko. Bishko shows both available on CD. Get them.

Bishko Automobile Literature - Search Literature

What you have is a Saginaw-made Tilt and Telescoping column. It's a bit complicated, but you should be able to reassemble it.

This is a generic exploded diagram of a T/T column that should be informative. It comes from a parts catalogue (I don't know which year), but the diagram gives a fairly clear indication of the order of parts for assembly and disassembly. Some things may not be exact, but you'll get the right idea.

View attachment 640556

I have to agree with Ross, as those columns are complex and not straightforward to repair, but that is only half the problem, as the other part of the problem is that many of the plastic parts inside the column are usually broken after many years of use and aging effects. After attempting to repair one myself I soon realized I was in above my head and I don't usually shy away from most mechanical problems. So I searched for a rebuilder with long term experience with rebuilding them and also had the requisite parts to repair them.

This is the company I am going to send my column to for rebuilding (mine is a 1971 column but I do recall they said some years they will not rebuild because parts for them no longer exist, so you would need to call them to see if your 1977 Saginaw is one they would have the parts to rebuild it). I live in Southern California and you are not that far away either since you reside in Arizona. Their shop is just south of San Jose. Here is their website:

steering column rebuilding services for ford, gm, dodge, chrysler, jeep, plymouth | Steering Column Services

Sometimes you need to pick your battles and are just money and time ahead to let experts take care of the rebuilding process..............................................and with this shop their rates are quite reasonable in my view given what you are dealing with.

Steve

Last edited:
The other choice might be to find a non-tilt column at a salvage yard and replace the whole unit.

Dave

Thank you for the diagram. It was very helpful.

Removing and rebuilding or replacing the column is not feasible at this time.

Where does the retainer, steering column "C" clip insulator go?

I understand the steering wheel has to be pulled off, how does it go back on? It doesn't just slide(push) back on so I can thread the nut.

563022.main.jpg

This has a Corvette type column? All the GM ones I looked at did not have this clip, they had a snap ring.

Screenshot_2024-01-27-02-00-23-35_dc00545bd3b8828f033a02ac25b2d36d.jpg

Last edited:
The C clip holds the horn contact ring in place, against a very stiff spring. T & T specific I believe. A special tool is required to depress the ring to allow the c clip to slide in place.

Those pics you found are all non T&T columns - way different.

Talk to the Cadillac people - they'll have info on this.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. At first yes, but it gets tighter as it seats. That's why we have steering wheel pullers. Plus, it's on the splined shaft in a T&T, so you must align the master spline on each.

I don't recall exactly, but it looks like you have all the pieces to reassemble it. Mopar used GM's Saginaw column for the tilt/telescope cars, as such, you can find plenty of GM references online that will work for Chryslers.
It seems that your horn insulator's broken, so you'll have to get a new one. Corvettes use the exact same part, and it's a lot easier to find than a Chrysler one. If you're outside the U.S, shipping's a pain, there are 3D printer files online for the part (that's what I had to do for mine).
To reinstall the column properly, you'll need something to compress the spring so you can put the C-clip in. I made my own tool for this. Save yourself the hassle (and thumb pain) of trying to compress it by hand and get/make a tool.

Also, here's a video that details the disassembly and reassembly process, it's filmed on a Cadillac, but it's the same column:

Back