I have a confession to make…

Sadly the axle retainers from Dr. Diff were not great. The driver side was machined incorrectly and one of the holes for the studs was machined like 1/32” of an inch off, and the axle retainer got wedged. Then when I went to go take it back off… one of the nuts I had started got galled and will not tighten or loosen…perfect. It looks like I will be working on the car into the 11th hour…

I still have to do the brake hoses, pitman arm, idler arm, bleed the brakes and secure a few random things under the hood.

Aarrghh!

Right side done. I will just borrow an axle from my other 72 for now. I will set the endplay tomorrow after the axle swap.

IMG_1366.jpeg

The car is back together with a factory axle retainer on the left side, it will do for going to the show and back. I had a disappointing email exchange with an employee from Dr. Diff. I was fought the entire time and was told basically I had caused my own problem. I can’t recommend Dr. Diff anymore. The customer service I got was very poor.

You can see how much Dr Diff’s axle retainer was warped just trying to remove the axle, and how much of a difference it is between a stock unit. There is a snowball’s chance in hell that the end play would have been even close to the larger side of spec with the big shoulder missing. Pair this with the poor, accusatory attitude from the employee who responded you can see the issue.

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

Wayne at BCM and TurboStart unfortunately failed to come through with the restoration battery. Other than that just a few items than need attention but it looks decent.

I am finding that some 72s use standard ignition wires. At least they are new, and say Chrysler Corporation on them with a Q1-72 date code.

IMG_1377.jpeg

Back