New Member, New Polara

IMG_9851.JPG

IMG_9857.JPG

IMG_9858.JPG

Change of plan, I came down sick as a dog, and the friend I roped into helping me pull the clip off was a no show. No way to make the rod run if i pull the front stub.

Already have way too much to do anyway, no way i'll get it all done singlehanded and sick. Gonna brace the bad frame and use it one last time. Replace it next week.

More time to do everything else right. Petty things, like brake lines, tail lights, seats, junk like that.

Also my new highrise will clear with room to spare. Height difference is 2.5", and you can see i have miles above my drop top filter, even with it half resting on the coil. Super unhappy i won't get to show off my trick parts and a lot of my work but whatever.

C'est la vie

Also also, i discovered a bunch of wacky stuff, like the vaccum advance line was just unplugged. Who knows how long it was like that. Coil was wired backwards. How did that work at all? Someone grounded the parking lights 4 times. Ok!

Thanks, grandpa.

Last edited:
View attachment 676199

View attachment 676200

View attachment 676201

Change of plan, I came down sick as a dog, and the friend I roped into helping me pull the clip off was a no show. No way to make the rod run if i pull the front stub.

Already have way too much to do anyway, no way i'll get it all done singlehanded and sick. Gonna brace the bad frame and use it one last time. Replace it next week.

More time to do everything else right. Petty things, like brake lines, tail lights, seats, junk like that.

Also my new highrise will clear with room to spare. Height difference is 2.5", and you can see i have miles above my drop top filter, even with it half resting on the coil. Super unhappy i won't get to show off my trick parts and a lot of my work but whatever.

C'est la vie

Also also, i discovered a bunch of wacky stuff, like the vaccum advance line was just unplugged. Who knows how long it was like that. Coil was wired backwards. How did that work at all? Someone grounded the parking lights 4 times. Ok!

Thanks, grandpa.
Get to the show. You’re going to. You have done a fantastic job and a ton of work, smartly! Touché!!!

IMG_9873.JPG

IMG_9876.JPG

IMG_9880.JPG

Made it. Barely.

Cludged so much **** together. Fuel tank was a jerry can running rubber line through a body plug hole to the pump. Don't care.

Interestingly, the charging system was always pooched. I put on a new alternator and voltage regulator. The second I turned the key on, it smoked itself. No charging system all day again. Was it a faulty box or is there something else, it's only two wires.

Promises made, promises kept.

Cruise was rad, biggest turnout ever. Show 'n Shine tomorrow.

View attachment 676437
View attachment 676438
View attachment 676439

Made it. Barely.

Cludged so much **** together. Fuel tank was a jerry can running rubber line through a body plug hole to the pump. Don't care.

Interestingly, the charging system was always pooched. I put on a new alternator and voltage regulator. The second I turned the key on, it smoked itself. No charging system all day again. Was it a faulty box or is there something else, it's only two wires.

Promises made, promises kept.

Cruise was rad, biggest turnout ever. Show 'n Shine tomorrow.
That's awesome to see.

As someone who has been driving a perpetual project for more than 20 years, I love this! The amount of progress you have made is very impressive.

That's awesome you made it to the show and cruise! Congrats! Looks almost as good as those other brand cars there.

So I've been taking a break from car for a few days, but I did turn it around today to get ready to pull the front stub. Somehow just turning it around in the street, it overheated. No idea how. Stuck thermostat, bad waterpump that gave up yesterday? Don't know. Didn't get hot enough to pressurize the hoses while doing 3mph for an hour at the rod run, but turning it around in the cold night was enough to do it today. Ok.

I also was removing brake fittings and apparently heat soaked the master cylinder enough to roach the booster. Is there a source for these? Rockauto and the local shop has nothing. Is this something I can fix? Check valve and hose are good.

IMG_9939.jpg

...i wonder how good the rings are.

Did a compression check. Nothing below 125 PSI on any pot. All the plugs were perfect. Bottom end is mint, no leaky valve stems. Also phoned Wildcat to see if they have any good boosters, i don't feel like spending 600+ for an aftermarket or 1500 for a rebuild. Fingers crossed.

Gonna pull the stub this week hopefully, just trying to rope someone into helping me get the sheet metal off. Not heavy, just big.

Did a compression check. Nothing below 125 PSI on any pot. All the plugs were perfect. Bottom end is mint, no leaky valve stems. Also phoned Wildcat to see if they have any good boosters, i don't feel like spending 600+ for an aftermarket or 1500 for a rebuild. Fingers crossed.

Gonna pull the stub this week hopefully, just trying to rope someone into helping me get the sheet metal off. Not heavy, just big.
Good plan and it appears that the rings and valves are ok. Regarding the booster, I will cite the phrase from the old Fram oil filter commercials ‘you can pay me now, or pay me later’ and leave it at that.

Booster steve should run like 200 bucks plus shipping to and from.

1723873062849.png

You sure about that?

I phoned wildcat and a few other sources, they said there's nothing, only rebuildable cores, which I of course already have.

IMG_9972.JPG

IMG_9973.JPG

IMG_9976.JPG

Insult to injury, the nuts came straight off without a fight. Neato.

Though that said, the pushrod moves very freely, the seal around it looks absolutely fine, and actuating it, the valve sounds like it's working and sealing in there. I sucked on the tube and it retained vaccum. I think it's actually fine.

The master also quite liberally moves fluid. I know what manual brakes feel like, even on a boosted car. This was just a solid wall behind the pedal.

I know i barely touched the booster with fire, but i absolutely cooked the distribution block to get the rear line off. And I know the booster worked immediately before cooking the block. I think I may have just either melted it internally or loosened up some rust that plugged a line. I'm going to hold off on booster buyin' until i swap the front frame and replace all the brake lines. I might be ok here.

View attachment 677655
You sure about that?

I phoned wildcat and a few other sources, they said there's nothing, only rebuildable cores, which I of course already have.

View attachment 677656

View attachment 677657

View attachment 677658

Insult to injury, the nuts came straight off without a fight. Neato.

Though that said, the pushrod moves very freely, the seal around it looks absolutely fine, and actuating it, the valve sounds like it's working and sealing in there. I sucked on the tube and it retained vaccum. I think it's actually fine.

The master also quite liberally moves fluid. I know what manual brakes feel like, even on a boosted car. This was just a solid wall behind the pedal.

I know i barely touched the booster with fire, but i absolutely cooked the distribution block to get the rear line off. And I know the booster worked immediately before cooking the block. I think I may have just either melted it internally or loosened up some rust that plugged a line. I'm going to hold off on booster buyin' until i swap the front frame and replace all the brake lines. I might be ok here.
Booster Steve is THE right person to get what you need . I suggest calling him

Wow, $880 for a brake booster!! It certainly sounds like something is plugged up and I'm rooting for you that it is the distribution block. Maybe look at the lines to make sure none are crushed and then pull distribution block and hit the orifices with air compressor?

That master cylinder looks a little crusty :)

Booster Steve is THE right person to get what you need . I suggest calling him

Left a message, no response.

Wow, $880 for a brake booster!! It certainly sounds like something is plugged up and I'm rooting for you that it is the distribution block. Maybe look at the lines to make sure none are crushed and then pull distribution block and hit the orifices with air compressor?

That master cylinder looks a little crusty

Got a new dual circuit anyway. I'll rebuild everything, blow out all the lines etc. Given how good the seals look on the booster I don't believe it's the problem. Fingers crossed.

Back