Scenicruisin'..?

I'm shocked at these late model Semi-busses.

It was my understanding that it is prohibited by Federal law to carry passengers in a Semi-trailer. And the passenger trailer certainly qualifies as a Semi.
Trailer bus | Wikiwand

Everything you said lines up with my understanding. California different?

OCTA may be rockin' the "bendys" now .. the "Superbus" isn't talked about as much. Maybe one of our So.Cal. members can weigh in on what's on the roads out there?

8.jpg

Another puzzle piece in the link you posted.

As early as the mid-1940s, trailer buses began to quickly fall out of favour for a variety of factors:
  • The length of trailer buses make them difficult to negotiate sharp turns at narrow street corners;
  • Each trailer bus normally requires a two-person crew, with the driver in the tractor and the conductor in the semi-trailer;
  • The perceived danger of a passenger-laden semi-trailer dislodging from its tractor while under way has led to many jurisdictions in the United States, Canada and Australia prohibiting passengers being carried in towed trailers.
So, don't use them in cities .. use them like trains over long distance/straight lines? A "conductor"? .. its a bus! I'd like to see the data that says a passenger trailer with people more dangerous than a mono-chassis bus with people .. but maybe the "perception" trumps the "facts"? -- so how come no seat belts on commercial buses (but I digress) :)

thanks!

Last edited:
Post #446 cantflip theorized the bus industry might have been (still can be be) better off with tractor trailer buses (California seems to think so too).

Somebody in the US has done the math on this as somebody in Germany has. I take this Germany study with a grain of salt .. I am still looking for a scholarly piece -- from an independent source.

Safety being equal (?), is the trailer/tractor combo a lower acquisition AND lifecycle cost vs. the rigid, mono-chassis bus? If yes (and that's a BIG "if"), at least in the US, a LOTTA taxpayer money is being wasted.

Anyway, excerpts below from the German study:

A study of the German local public passenger transport market revealed unsurprising results that would apply to just about any operation in this sector throughout the world: the pressure on costs and capacity peaks pose the greatest problems for local public passenger transport operations.

(With "traditional" buses) In order to handle these peaks, either excess capacity is operated throughout the day, or a relief bus is put on in busy times. In either case, the resulting costs are not only a huge burden on the economic performance of (most) public transport operations.

The benefits of trailer buses are wider than local public transport:

• They can be used by private operators (with tractors to augment public resources)
  • Different passenger capacities may be flexibly covered by simply coupling up and uncoupling the trailers and matching them with different tractor vehicle lengths .. (at a moment's notice) excess/(under) capacities are avoided.
  • From an investment viewpoint, the comparatively low lifecycle costs for the trailer (vs. a rigid, single chassis design) as acquisition costs are only around 65 per cent of those for the tractor vehicle, maintenance requirements are much lower and they provide double the service life of the towing vehicle.
  • From a safety standpoint (for modern tractor/trailer buses):
  • the tractor and trailer are equipped with both ABS and ESP integrated EBS (Electro-pneumatic Brake System) permits an improved brake response and shorter braking distances
  • ECAS (Electronically Controlled Air Suspension) is also standard and ensures a consistent ride height, whatever the loading
  • there is a drive off lock to prevent the vehicle moving away if the coupling process has not been properly completed
  • fully automated, independent video monitoring of the trailer by the driver while the wide-angle mirror system
  • two-way integrated communications capability between the driver's position and and the trailer interior

Last edited:
Hmm ... dunno. From the Netherlands. It may be another 25 years on this one. Nowhere in US where you can drive 250 kph (150 mph).

All electric -- currently 125 mile range -- no word on time to charge (less important in a fleet maybe?) Six wheel steering, so for 50ft long its pretty nimble on city streets.

Cool concept though.

Source: Home | Superbus

“Carefree and comfortable travel, customized according to your needs. You can get in the vehicle wherever and whenever you need. It will take you to your destination without any changeovers. During the journey, you can get on with your work, or sit back and enjoy the speed and the luxury. This service will be yours for a fare which is comparable to the prices of present day’s public transport.”

For this new concept, all of the intelligence and innovation is put into the vehicle, whereas the dedicated infrastructure, where the Superbus runs at 250 km/h, can be on existing concrete roads.

Superbus is safe due to obstacle detection systems (through radar equipment and a fast responding electronic guidance system), high maneuverability and formidable breaking power.

Superbus is designed to be flexible regarding different travel needs. The two different interior cabins are designed for people travelling alone or in groups. Since it also runs on standard roads, it can fit seamlessly into the existing infrastructure.

Superbus is sustainable. It is an electrically powered vehicle which uses rechargeable batteries.

Superbus is designed to provide a level of comfort comparable to travelling with a luxurious sedan.

Power train Electric motors powered by lithium polymer battery pack and regenerative braking
Power output 400 kW
Driving range 210 km (126 miles)
Braking 250-0 km/h in less than 200m
Cruising speed 250 km/h (155 mph)
Length 15,000 mm (49.21 ft)
Width 2,550 mm (8.20 ft)
Height 1,650 mm (5.41 ft)
Weight 10,500 kg fully loaded
Suspension Air springs and frequency selective dampers system and lifting hydraulic cilinders
Ride height range 330 mm (70mm to 400mm)
Chassis frame Carbon fiber reinforced plastic
Bodywork Carbon fiber reinforced plastic
Driving mode Driver assisted controlled on existing roads, autopilot on Supertrack
Equipped with Seat belts, TV, internet, air-conditioning, heating, etc
Provided with Navigation system, obstacle detection, communication system, fail safe system and control system
10.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
3.jpg

First video is in Dutch, other two it doesnt matter :)

Its settled now ... I gotta have the Red Bull PD-4501 :)

View attachment 102687 View attachment 102686 View attachment 102688

My "posse" - we're all gettin' up there - may not wanna tour the country with me when the time comes.
View attachment 102689

Seriously, Red Bull promotes the heck outta their bus .. good pics of it at various places around the country.

source: Red Bull Scenicruiser - Photos | Facebook

View attachment 102690 View attachment 102691 View attachment 102692 View attachment 102693 View attachment 102694
Goodness... you'll hurt your neck just sitting in the driver's chair...
9-jpg.102688

In C-Body Bob's thread, #428, he posted this derelict bus:

6.jpg

Vintage junkyard pics

Here it is below in 1970 -- down under in Queensland Australia. The above photo was taken in 2008.

3.jpg

source: Just Old Buses

EXCERPT (date 2013)

This was one of Beachmere Bus Services and was photographed in July 1970, somewhere between Brisbane and Nambour and has an Athol Hedges body.

Similar ones operated to Murwillumbah, in Northern New South Wales, and had Watts Brothers bodies, also built in Brisbane, but are not the New England Bus Service ones already posted by Bill White.

The pic of the wreck was taken in 2008 and the prime mover is now under restoration in Barry Watts workshop in Brisbane. The owner of the matching trailer wanted to keep it a bit longer, last I heard, but it is a much better example than mine and will hopefully be restored too.

Last edited:
source: Hank Bought A Bus

12.jpg

I am not a big fan of converted school buses. But I really like this .. and at only nine Grand ($9,000) plus his own labor and design .. see what you think :)

Photos and builder's own words below each photo (on the website, there are MORE photos in a montage -- too many to put in one post here):
2.jpg

3.jpg

The even spacing of the window bays allow for the volume to be broken down into modular units of 28 inches square, leaving an aisle that is also 28 inches wide. The modular units are then grouped to create four primary zones: Bathroom, Kitchen, Seating, and Sleeping.

4.jpg

One of the primary goals during the design phase was to develop a living space in 225 sq ft that is as open and un-restricting as possible.

In order to accomplish this, I set self-imposed guidelines that eliminated any furniture or structure above the bottom edge of the window.
This allows the space to remain continuous, and maintains clear sight-lines from one end of the space to the other, even while seated.

In order to accomplish this I developed a thin wall system integrating structure, insulation, electrical, lighting, and facing, leaving the interior open for occupation. The ceiling is covered in plywood flexed by compression, and the floor is reclaimed gym flooring, complete with 3-point line.
7.jpg

The kitchen occupies two window bays, and currently features a foot-pump sink as it’s only true utility. There are plans for one of the bays to become a chest fridge, and for a gas cooktop to be installed, but for now we are surviving using a cooler and a portable propane stove.

The cabinet frames are fully assembled, but the planned drawers and faces have yet to be constructed. For now they maintain a stripped-down aesthetic and storage bins are used to hold goods and supplies.

6.jpg

In order to help remove the inhabitant from the reminders and connotations of its former life as a school bus, entry into the space is reoriented to the rear. Upon entering the space, the occupant first encounters the bathroom.

In this zone, one side of the aisle is walled off to enclose the toilet. This space currently houses a yet-to-be-used portable toilet, but will hopefully be replaced by a plumbed toilet in the coming years. The opposing side of the aisle is unoccupied, and is currently serving as overflow storage.

8.jpg
9.jpg

The seating space is one of the most versatile, and as it occupies four bays, it is also the largest. In it’s neutral state, the zone features four large seats on either side of the aisle.

The two seats nearest the kitchen occupy the space over the wheel wells, and as such have no storage underneath. However the faces of these seats fold out into the aisle to create a platform that can be covered with neighboring cushions to create a queen-sized sleeping area.

The next seat down on either side of the aisle can be raised or lowered to create a table surface for eating or working. This allows for up to four people to have table space without having to climb over each other. The final seat features a large lockable storage bay underneath.

The flexibility of this zone allows it to accommodate a large number of conditions and situations.
10.jpg
11.jpg

The sleeping space is comprised of two narrow beds, of equal width, on either side of the aisle. There are drawers beneath each each bed, deep storage underneath the mattresses, and built-in shelves facing the seating area.

In order to accommodate varied sleeping arrangements, the port-side bed rolls into the center aisle, creating a queen-sized sleeping area, with a third mattress revealed in the vacated space. This allows for a total sleeping capacity of up to six adults.The cabin of the bus almost entirely untouched, except for the rats nest of wires from the added electrical systems.

The cabin can be separated from the living space by a sliding door panel, which is left open while on the road to communicate with the driver.

That ceiling is great... I did try, I couldn't do it. This gets me all excited, but reality is mine has been doing duty as storage..worse since I got rid of the shed in my backyard.

i recall your basic description of your plans for your project .. i was diggin it and thinking you'd finish your project way before mine :). hope you get to it whenever the time if right for ya.

I have NO issue with converted school buses .. just hadn't run across one -- done -- that I liked the interior treatment. And had done something cool, but understated with the exterior (nice alcoas, good paint, etc.) other than the yellow you can spot from two miles away.

this one from Hank -- cost effective, clean, functional .. just really well done.

Two women in Israel did a good job with a old city bus.

Granted its decorated more the way women making a "fashion statement" might (vs. Hanks bus with a bunch of wood trim and focus on space ulitization), but I think they did good with open, bright, uncluttered look like Hank's bus.

Plus, it doesn't seem like they threw a big wad of Shekels at it either (kept a rubber flow for example).

Before
13.jpg

After
15.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg

i recall your basic description of your plans for your project .. i was diggin it and thinking you'd finish your project way before mine :). hope you get to it whenever the time if right for ya.

I have NO issue with converted school buses .. just hadn't run across one -- done -- that I liked the interior treatment. And had done something cool, but understated with the exterior (nice alcoas, good paint, etc.) other than the yellow you can spot from two miles away.

this one from Hank -- cost effective, clean, functional .. just really well done.

What I liked the most about his build was the amount of light he was getting and the open plan. Not getting rid of windows, he did good from the inside. The outside is still just schoolie though. One consideration I had with mine is that a good mimic paint job and it would appear to many to be an actual Wanderlodge. I had thoughts that might come in handy as the schoolie thing tends to get some prejudice when trying to find your way into some campgrounds. I never planned for mine to leave Florida... or at least not go far from it... so the ability to tackle a serious hill was not on my priority list.

Some thoughts for you to ponder as you plan your own... length is an issue when traveling... but I can turn tighter than the highway models. Height is a biggie to think about, I made sure I was well under 13'6" which lets me go where ever the race car haulers can go. Many smaller roads and neighborhoods are not going to be accessible. And you will run into those low clearance situations if you don't carefully plan your routes and stick to the truck routes. I'm not sure how tall a Scenic is, something under 12' I believe, but you still can get into trouble real easy.

The old highway buses are a nice plan if you're happy sticking close to the interstates... but may not handle uneven ground as well as my schoolie due to clearance issues. With the twin axles on the back of a Scenic, I think turning radius might be an issue. You will guarantied destroy any paver driveways you encounter...

I think Will and Elle got it right on their plan. Small enough to go about anywhere without heroics. Unhook and you have the car. Nostalgic as hell. No matter what they spend it will be cheaper than a bus and have more value at the end.

I recently, this past July in fact, tried to convince my sister that an old airstream is about the best thing out there for this kind of use. She had wanted to talk to me about buses and is into the idea of the tiny home trailers... but she wants to be able to travel great distances in it. If it wouldn't be a disaster, I would have given her mine... but she has no place to put it and that is a big consideration too. Storage sucks... even cheap storage will add up to a dollar amount that you could do other things with.

Two women in Israel did a good job with a old city bus.

Granted its decorated more the way women making a "fashion statement" might (vs. Hanks bus with a bunch of wood trim and focus on space ulitization), but I think they did good with open, bright, uncluttered look like Hank's bus.

Plus, it doesn't seem like they threw a big wad of Shekels at it either (kept a rubber flow for example).

Before
View attachment 103206

After
View attachment 103208
View attachment 103207
View attachment 103209 View attachment 103210 View attachment 103211
I wonder what they did for tanks... there usually isn't much usable space under those floors.

I wonder what they did for tanks... there usually isn't much usable space under those floors.

yes, the details of the build are not known.

Quite a few articles and pics on this Israeli bus (a Man NL202) BUT more from the aesthetics and the "cause" (affordable housing, recycling -- all good goals) and much less on the function/mechanicals since they started with a low-floor coach like most city buses are (so where are your tanks, generator, storage, etc).

From scrapyard bus into luxury living space (20 Photos)

We know they made it look nice .. we don't know the extent to which it is suitable for the purpose I have in mind. I wanna take my "bus" and tour the USA for a year -- so it's gotta be equipped for that purpose.

What I liked the most about his build was the amount of light he was getting and the open plan. Not getting rid of windows, he did good from the inside. The outside is still just schoolie though. One consideration I had with mine is that a good mimic paint job and it would appear to many to be an actual Wanderlodge. I had thoughts that might come in handy as the schoolie thing tends to get some prejudice when trying to find your way into some campgrounds. I never planned for mine to leave Florida... or at least not go far from it... so the ability to tackle a serious hill was not on my priority list.

Some thoughts for you to ponder as you plan your own... length is an issue when traveling... but I can turn tighter than the highway models. Height is a biggie to think about, I made sure I was well under 13'6" which lets me go where ever the race car haulers can go. Many smaller roads and neighborhoods are not going to be accessible. And you will run into those low clearance situations if you don't carefully plan your routes and stick to the truck routes. I'm not sure how tall a Scenic is, something under 12' I believe, but you still can get into trouble real easy.

The old highway buses are a nice plan if you're happy sticking close to the interstates... but may not handle uneven ground as well as my schoolie due to clearance issues. With the twin axles on the back of a Scenic, I think turning radius might be an issue. You will guarantied destroy any paver driveways you encounter...

I think Will and Elle got it right on their plan. Small enough to go about anywhere without heroics. Unhook and you have the car. Nostalgic as hell. No matter what they spend it will be cheaper than a bus and have more value at the end.

I recently, this past July in fact, tried to convince my sister that an old airstream is about the best thing out there for this kind of use. She had wanted to talk to me about buses and is into the idea of the tiny home trailers... but she wants to be able to travel great distances in it. If it wouldn't be a disaster, I would have given her mine... but she has no place to put it and that is a big consideration too. Storage sucks... even cheap storage will add up to a dollar amount that you could do other things with.

yeah, i like bluefury361's set ups. lotta "old school cool", great vehicles that are dependable and look great too, etc. ... tons to like about that. I love the Airstreams too.

I am still locked in on a "bus" and still a PD-4501. It has massive, inherent "impracticalities", and those are magnified if I want to stray off the beaten path given its size and weight (btw its 11 feet high - 131 inches).

I don't want to roam off the beaten path WITH my "bus" -- but when I get to an interesting place, I think I need a vehicle that CAN go where no bus can go (or is even allowed).

The obvious solution is drag a car trailer behind the bus -- then the whole setup approaches 65 ft in length. A giant vehicle made even LONGER and HEAVIER -- imposing MORE limitations (e.g., where I can even park it) to consider as I advance my plan.

Anyway, appreciate your sage insights as always. :)

which one(s)?
All the ones where the converted busses have retained all their windows.
Jeeze, a lil privacy please. The camper next to me does NOT want to see me naked. Gawd, how to scar little kids for life.
Yes, I know... window blinds, but putting up and down 40 of them all the time is the antithesis of relaxing while traveling.

All the ones where the converted busses have retained all their windows.
Jeeze, a lil privacy please. The camper next to me does NOT want to see me naked. Gawd, how to scar little kids for life.
Yes, I know... window blinds, but putting up and down 40 of them all the time is the antithesis of relaxing while traveling.

Ah yes .. good point. in my own case, gravity and longevity has even driven me from the beach in my tank top, knee length, one-piece suit, let alone terrorize others/traumatize myself with any unintended views of my birthday suit :)

I still like the light (reduces the "dungeon-like" quality a small, narrow space like a bus) and open-feel of "Hank's Bus" (the older PD-4501 renovations tend to block (darkening the windows is fine) the windows and chop up the space with walls ala houses).

Yup, the Israeli bus though well done is too revealing to my tastes (low to the ground, TON of clear glass, etc) but I posted it to show a city bus, reclaimed from the scrap heap, done well on a budget.

thanks!

ps. Coney Island NY, 1905. My kinda beach .. I'd fit right in today :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Just a diversion ... I thought I had seen everything PD 4501 worth seeing. then this popped up. Apparently a whole new generation is at least aware of 'em :)

Scenicruiser "action sequence" starts about a minute into video.
0dlee3.jpg

Back