Scenicruisin'..?

Maybe one of my roadtrips?

though each passing year the number of these fine old art-deco stations Greyhound had are disappearing. I know Detroit's is LONG gone.

Even if the building was still there -- just not a bus terminal -- it would be neat. Stop by and pose with PD 4501 and check out whatever else might be cool in that city.

00000dlee.jpg
0000dlee.jpg
000dlee.jpg
00dlee.jpg
0dlee.jpg
0dlee000000.jpg
0dlee00000.jpg
0dlee0000.jpg
0dlee000.jpg

This might be harder than I think .. only 3 of the 9 are still there. But there's the Trailways locations to sift through as well as a couple dozen more.

Still think it'll be a neat road trip.

Cleveland .. different view than postcard but still there
00000dlee.jpg
00000dlee-CLeveland.jpg

Washinton DC .. no long a bus station.
0dlee0000.jpg
0dlee0000-washington.jpg

Evansville IN ... still there but NOW a burger pub.
00dlee.jpg

0dlee00-Evansville.jpg
0dlee00-Evansville1.jpg
0dlee00-Evansville2.jpg

local news video.

New Lease on Life for Old Greyhound Bus Station

Last edited:
Then, there's this stuff .. mostly what i believe I will find in the big cities anyway.

LA - 1967, Los Angeles at 7th Street (actually took up the whole block between 6th and 7th, and Los Angeles and Maple)

0dlee0.jpg

Mid 2000's - A Merchandise Mart.
0dlee0- LA.jpg

Somewhere in the past decade it became a gigantic parking lot ... nothing there to see now at this location :(. LA and environs still cool tho. :)

I remember admiring the architecture of the Boston Greyhound Terminal before it became a BK. If you come across a pic of the original terminal in Park Sq., I'd be interested in seeing it. My Google skills let me down on this one.
Ugh...
Greyhound.jpg

I remember admiring the architecture of the Boston Greyhound Terminal before it became a BK. If you come across a pic of the original terminal in Park Sq., I'd be interested in seeing it. My Google skills let me down on this one.
Ugh...
Greyhound.jpg

The BK art deco-vibe version, pre BK anyway, is proving to be elusive. And apparerntly there were TWO stations in Park Square .. a BIG one, and a smaller one on St. James?

Anyway, a source indicated this was the "Main" Greyhound Boston Terminal in Park Square in 1932 - clearly NOT the cool pre-BK building you posted :(
0dlee2.jpg

and again in 1945 -- looks like same building though not same spot on the building.
0dlee4.jpg

Last, allegedly this local watering hole was near the Greyhound (later Trailways) Park Square Terminal.
0dlee9.jpg

so I am not having much more success getting a good pic of the art-deco pre-BK buidling -- sorry that joint is hiding out somewhere in the Internet and its resisting searches for it :).

Another source - DIRTY OLD BOSTON (on Facebook) had this photo one below BUT someone commented it was just a sign on top of a building IN Park Square that was where the Four Seasons is now? The photo is alleged to be on Arlington street looking southwest.
0dlee3.jpg

Off topic .. but that DIRTY OLD BOSTON site might be something you'd (or others from the area) would dig. I mean look at this cool "header" photo on FB. :)

Dirty Old Boston | Facebook

0dlee1.jpg

more from the site .. you helped me with this thread, i help you (hopefully) find some cool stuff about "Bahstun" (not "r"s in that word) :)
0dlee5.jpg

0dlee6.jpg

0dlee7.jpg

Last edited:
How did Greyhound (with others' help) put up many dozens of these "art-deco" terminals around the country -- everywhere.

heck, the design craze only lasted a 15 years maybe if that (20's - 30's) .. a lot of if during the Depression era (1929 to 1938-ish).

Where was the bus cash coming from? That's my homework assignment -- its a business mystery I cannot let go :).

BTW, same thing happened with the RR's .. they tore down perfectly good facilities and built a bunch of art-deco stations/other buildings.

00-1.jpg
00-2.jpg
00-3.jpg
00-4.jpg
00-5.jpg
00-6.jpg
00-8.jpg
00-7.jpg

I have been addicted to Art-deco architecture all my life.
I can't get enough of it. I look in every alley when I travel trying to find hidden gems.

I have been addicted to Art-deco architecture all my life.
I can't get enough of it. I look in every alley when I travel trying to find hidden gems.

X2 man. art-deco rocks! :) it's a classic style. my eye gravitates toward it wherever i go too.

200 years from now it'll still be cool-looking to some of those folks I'll bet. hopefully enough of it will still be standing (plus some FLW stuff) for 23rd century admirers to enjoy :)

Commando1 .. your BK Greyhound station was at 10 St James Ave. it was torn down in 2001.

Still NO photos of it in its pre-BK days. Before BK there was probably some other dining facility in there though. Date of your photo was alledged to be taken in 1982.

www.flickr.com/photos/thinkcouch/154331552

The building with orange arrow is in both pics .. so I am pretty sure that's the spot.
0dlee5A.jpg
0dlee5.jpg

from post #486. 4 of the 8 still standing .. none still an active Greyhound Depot.

Lansing MI
00-4.jpg
00-4-Today.jpg

Minneapolis MN
00-7.jpg
00-7-Today.jpg

Erie PA
00-6.jpg
00-6-Today.jpg

Jackson MS
00-8.jpg
00-8-Today.jpg

dont wanna foul up C -Body Bob's old car photo thread. cantflip turned me on to something I did not know.

GM Futureliner's are sprinkled throughout this thread. I had hoped one day I might own one (not as my tour the country RV, but as a neat old, collector piece).

Not anymore ... yikes.

00-1.jpg

Thanks .. thats nice.

I looked at these setups early in this thread. I also got a greater appreciation for these customized old White cabs since then. :)

Some of you guys brought up (1) length and limits on parking locations as such, but (2) having a smaller detachable vehicle for local trips is good, however (3) states still out there where no one can ride in the RV part.

All things I hadnt thought of ..

Not sure what category this one falls in .. looks to be improvised. enough diesel to cross the country without stopping for fuel :)

00-1.jpg

Back