Scenicruisin'..?

People will think you are a C&W group from the 70's going from Roadhouse to Roadhouse. lol

4d93f1bb37773e23dc9f376b8eb6c130.jpg

Last edited:
commando1 (a big contributor to this thread) has me off on a "secret mission" chasing a '64 Flexie in Louisiana. Actually its a cool, pre-conversion original coach.

For Sale - Rare 1964 Flxible 29 Passenger Starliner

So, I took the time to look at a few more. ran across this '70 Jimmy. My fourth choice behind PD4501, '70's-'80's Eagles, and the 50's Flxile Starliners. Sultanas have slipped to a distant fifth .. steering goes and I'm toast so I learned late last year.:(

Well within budget, vintage but rebuilt powertrain, interior a bit dated (my interior designer cousin says for $750, and to borrow my Corvette for a week, she'll make it look brand new) but its WOOD and I like the layout.'

I'd spin it as is. :)

Description and Photos below and at this link:
1970 GMC Coach PD4905 Conversion Bus

1970 GMC PD4905 - $84,900
  • Detroit Diesel 8V-71T
  • Allison Automatic V-730-D
  • 20,000 mile on rebuilt powertrain, unknown on coach
This 40' 1970 GMC 4905 Coach has been completely restored and is powered by a recently rebuilt Detroit Diesel 8V-71T engine and rebuilt Detroit Diesel Allison V-730-D automatic transmission, both with less than 20,000 miles.

The original dashboard and steering wheel have been maintained. It is also equipped with many extra's, including; power assist steering, a 22.4 KW Yanmar diesel engine generator fueled from the 200 gallon main fuel storage tank, satellite receiver for TV and internet, 2 Samsung TV's, 2 VCR's, built-in stereo system, built-in 12 volt ambient lighting system on dimmers.

Full eat-in kitchen equipped with a coffee maker, microwave, induction cook top and refrigerator, washer / dryer, full length hanging closet.

Large under seating drawer storage, hardwood VCT Flooring, (2) 8'x 8'x 3' full under carriage carpeted storage bays, full stand-up shower; separate half bathroom.

20 gallons of hot water, 65 gallons of fresh water, 50 gallons of grey water and 50 gallons of black water storage, new waste water discharge system, insulated and heated water storage bay.

(3) rooftop / ceiling mounted heating / air conditioning units, 30 & 50 Amp electric shore hook-up, fresh water shore hook-up, new 24 volt and 12 volt batteries, air-ride drivers seat.

FULL SEPARATE MASTER SUITE, COMFORTABLY SLEEPS 8 -10, COMFORTABLY SEATS 18 - 20.

View attachment 116614 View attachment 116615 View attachment 116616 View attachment 116617 View attachment 116618 View attachment 116619 View attachment 116620 View attachment 116621 View attachment 116622View attachment 116623
As far as my preferences go... I really like the "rear lounge" and "full shower". Can't beat a good shower and the large lounge is great for entertaining larger groups when the weather turns on you. Aside from price (I think in terms of my budget, not yours), the one thing that bothers me here... Looking from the outside, did they raise this one? If so, structural engineering is a big factor on Monocoque chassis busses.
8525-1970GMCPD4905-1.jpg
5470-1974GMC4108A-1.jpg

It could be I am victim of optical illusion here, as those RV type windows fit differently, and are a really nice upgrade.

Looking from the outside, did they raise this one? If so, structural engineering is a big factor on Monocoque chassis busses.
8525-1970GMCPD4905-1.jpg
5470-1974GMC4108A-1.jpg

It could be I am victim of optical illusion here, as those RV type windows fit differently, and are a really nice upgrade.

Yes, that is a nice upgrade on the windows.

PD-4905, a "Buffalo" bus as you turned me onto last year, has that distintictive shape (snub-nose Scenicruiser) so I knew this Burgandy rig had a "aero-roof fairing" of some sort running length of the bus.

They blocked roof observation window for electronics/storage inside, you can see the destination window inside upper right of seat picture is still there, and all the AC work/ducts along the roof, and last they squared off the back to get more space to use for amenities?

As to the price, that seems imminently reasonable in relation to what I have been saving for 20 years to do. From this thread, I learned I could get into a nice once, already done, for $75K. That's about the same as $85K -- only when compared to the original budget.

I was diggin' -- and stressing over (not at you) -- your observation to repower these old coaches. I know quite a bit about engine swapping (big block vs small block etc.) in cars and what you gotta think about.

Conceptually its the same in buses I presume .. but I have NO experience with it. I worry about getting my hat handed to me .. with my head still in it .. by being naive about what I will have to pay someone to do.

More specially, what WAS done, by a previous owner who put a Cummins 6BT in place of a 4-71 in a Starliner. Did they do their propulsion/structural math correctly?

Take this 1957 model .. its here in this thread about 400 posts ago. BTW, owner wanted $235K for this one (a lotta upgrades here).

source: 1957 Flxible Starliner is Not an RV; It’s Your $235k Ticket for an Art Deco Home on Wheels

00-2-4.jpg
00-2-5.jpg
00-2-3.jpg
00-2-2.jpg
00-2-1-2.jpg

I was diggin' -- and stressing over (not at you) -- your observation to repower these old coaches. I know quite a bit about engine swapping (big block vs small block etc.) in cars and what you gotta think about.

Conceptually its the same in buses I presume .. but I have NO experience with it. I worry about getting my hat handed to me .. with my head still in it .. by being naive about what I will have to pay someone to do.

More specially, what WAS done, by a previous owner who put a Cummins 6BT in place of a 4-71 in a Starliner. Did they do their propulsion/structural math correctly?

Take this example. Is this good mechanical remediation work, in general? BTW, I aint keen on the roof raise (it was a disqualifier for me) but I was just looking at the mechanical work they did -- or DIDNT do -- that should be of interest to me with ANY Scenicruiser?

Sources:

Scenicruising
pd-4501-642 @ scenicruisers.com

00-2-6.jpg

SELLER DESCRIPTION

1956 Scenicruiser #642

This conversion project was never finished. It is 40ft long and the roof has been raised 18 inches. We have over $35,000 in this bus but will take $9,500.

It has new aluminum wheels, custom made Thermopane tinted windows and a basement room, 3 custom made tanks for fresh water, gray and black water.

The roof was re-skinned with heavier gauge steel for added strength. Exterior above aluminum is painted white.

It has the most expensive parts with it like new polished aluminum wheels, power steering, good running 3406 Caterpillar motor, Allison HD740D automatic transmission, Hayden transmission cooler, re-manufactured rear differential with 3.36 gear ratio, new drive shaft with new U-Joints, Custom fabricated brackets to fit modern 30/30 service and parking brake chambers.

3 new custom holding tanks (in place not installed). New Thermo Pane custom tinted windows (over $4,000) .The interior is gutted of all seats and is basically a shell with the wiring and service panel inside.

To be driveable it needs transmission cooler and filter plumed (all included), engine/radiator fan (not included), electric transmission gear selector (not installed, is included) air throttle (not installed, is included).

The Tires are in good shape with legal tread, I saved them when I got out of the trucking business. Most air bags appear to be new, all are in good shape. It was indoors for 10 or more years.

Yes, that is a nice upgrade on the windows.

PD-4905, a "Buffalo" bus as you turned me onto last year, has that distintictive shape (snub-nose Scenicruiser) so I knew this Burgandy rig had a "aero-roof fairing" of some sort running length of the bus.

They blocked roof observation window for electronics/storage inside, you can see the destination window inside upper right of seat picture is still there, and all the AC work/ducts along the roof, and last they squared off the back to get more space to use for amenities?

As to the price, that seems imminently reasonable in relation to what I have been saving for 20 years to do. From this thread, I learned I could get into a nice once, already done, for $75K. That's about the same as $85K -- only when compared to the original budget.

Take this 1957 model .. its here in this thread about 400 posts ago. BTW, owner wanted $235K for this one (a lotta upgrades here).

source: 1957 Flxible Starliner is Not an RV; It’s Your $235k Ticket for an Art Deco Home on Wheels

View attachment 116716 View attachment 116717 View attachment 116715 View attachment 116714 View attachment 116713
I can sum up my real world experience with these big diesels...Zero. Much like you, I am applying mostly car logic and research...

The stuff is similar enough, but too know that climbing in blind would get either of us our "hats handed...:thankyou:

The driveline issues I do know enough about to want to keep in mind. The old Flxi has a "drop box" which basically turns the drive power 180* for a conventional right spin driveline to work. I have heard stories of failures due to age/maintenance... but wonder how well that would hold up to a giant increase in torque.

The Buffalo uses a V-drive transmission and a left spin engine... I suppose anything with a marine application might work. My understanding of the original DDs is they just needed the backward cam to run... IDK about anything else. V-drive really limits options for engine and transmission, but the one you liked seems to have a good setup.

The best thing from here IMO is you go tire kick and test drive a few reasonably worked out coaches. Maybe try a few newer and more local used bus type RVs... get a feel for what you like.

IDK how fast a really nice one would sell, but I can almost guarantee that one you don't like and want back out of will take forever and/or be a big loss.

Take this example. Is this good mechanical remediation work, in general? BTW, I aint keen on the roof raise (it was a disqualifier for me) but I was just looking at the mechanical work they did -- or DIDNT do -- that should be of interest to me with ANY Scenicruiser?

Sources:

Scenicruising
pd-4501-642 @ scenicruisers.com

View attachment 116721

SELLER DESCRIPTION

1956 Scenicruiser #642

This conversion project was never finished. It is 40ft long and the roof has been raised 18 inches. We have over $35,000 in this bus but will take $9,500.

It has new aluminum wheels, custom made Thermopane tinted windows and a basement room, 3 custom made tanks for fresh water, gray and black water.

The roof was re-skinned with heavier gauge steel for added strength. Exterior above aluminum is painted white.

It has the most expensive parts with it like new polished aluminum wheels, power steering, good running 3406 Caterpillar motor, Allison HD740D automatic transmission, Hayden transmission cooler, re-manufactured rear differential with 3.36 gear ratio, new drive shaft with new U-Joints, Custom fabricated brackets to fit modern 30/30 service and parking brake chambers.

3 new custom holding tanks (in place not installed). New Thermo Pane custom tinted windows (over $4,000) .The interior is gutted of all seats and is basically a shell with the wiring and service panel inside.

To be driveable it needs transmission cooler and filter plumed (all included), engine/radiator fan (not included), electric transmission gear selector (not installed, is included) air throttle (not installed, is included).

The Tires are in good shape with legal tread, I saved them when I got out of the trucking business. Most air bags appear to be new, all are in good shape. It was indoors for 10 or more years.
Aside from the raise, I think that one has lots going for it. Too many uninstalled parts for them to sell for much... with a good going over and some $$$ to somebody to make her run, maybe there is something there. BUT, back to the chassis concern, a few pictures may be all an engineer would need to call BS on the whole attempt.

I really thought I would like a bus like this at one time, research killed it for me (ok, budget too)... besides, I don't know if I love the look of a raised one. It would be much better with the brightwork brought up too.

Was just in visiting with the counter guy at the local parts store, he was lamenting the fact he didn't get to thank my Dad for teaching him autobody back in high school. At any rate, it seems he ended up doing some body work in California a few years later and this was one of his biggest and proudest projects.
upload_2017-3-5_12-28-1.png

Number 3 of 12 I think he said, this one the nose was the only salvageable part so he put the front on the chassis from a trash truck out of San Diego, then went electric over hydraulic on that part after the mechanic whined about engine access.
upload_2017-3-5_12-30-46.png

Really fun to find out there's a connection, however tenuous, to something like this. Here's a shot of one of the more traditional ones.
upload_2017-3-5_12-32-34.png

And he tells me this one has been converted to an RV.
upload_2017-3-5_12-33-20.png

not quite as fancy as those but it mine , yes the list continues . wards 24 passenger forward control 304 gas ih alice trans . been using it has a kick back area n library . some of the interior stuff . as you can see , its not got the womans touch . hotrod cave ! lol .

DSC09292.JPG

DSC09274.JPG

DSC09275.JPG

DSC09276.JPG

DSC09279.JPG

DSC09280.JPG

DSC09282.JPG

DSC09286.JPG

DSC09289.JPG

not quite as fancy as those but it mine , yes the list continues . wards 24 passenger forward control 304 gas ih alice trans . been using it has a kick back area n library . some of the interior stuff . as you can see , its not got the womans touch . hotrod cave ! lol .

nice rig .. and yes, its yours.

one thing .. one of your mechanics forgot her pants. can't have her working on your vehicles like that :)

dsc09279-jpg.121822

Stay tuned .... :). Any thoughts from anyone appreciated as always.

Aside, ain't the scenery great? I got folks looking for me, but heck I'd go just catch the view.

Alas the beautiful location is part of the problem here ..hard to inspect them/$$$ to move them to get inspected/$$$$$ to transport them 2000 miles to MI.

1955 GMC Scenicruisers for Sale

00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg
00-1-2-2.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg
00-1-2-5.jpg
00-1-2-6.jpg
00-1-2-7.jpg
00-1-2-8.jpg

Back