Scenicruisin'..?

I failed typing class my freshman year miserably, BUT I scored that semester with ah very fine little Chicklet that sat in front of me that I still have lasting fond memoriez of.

Crap. . . In the ninth grade, I was in an all-boys prep school. No chicklets to be found anywhere.

Crap. . . In the ninth grade, I was in an all-boys prep school. No chicklets to be found anywhere.

A counselor put me in typing class. I didnt volunteer, tried to get out, but they insisted. Little did I know how valuable it was ..paid dividends my whole life to date .. not BS.

anyway, what softened the blow of typing class? ALL the chicklets .. and since I was a star typist, I got to .. uh .. "tutor" a few after class. Yeah, yeah .. "tutor" :)

Hell I would have flown out on your dime and drove it back for less than that.

I would have too .. i can still drive and have a CDL endorsement applicable to passenger and school buses.

my guy was NOT certain that a bus that sat for 12 years, then got a 20 mile test drive, was roadworthy for a 2000 mile trip to Michigan, along I-40 for part of it no less. Somewhere in the orange oval, i would be broken down in the middle of nowhere.

00-1-2-1.jpg

does $3.50 a loaded mile seem reasonable for bus transport in your experience in the industry?

Last edited:
Middle of nowhere is further north. 3.50/ mile does not sound unreasonable. The size is what makes it a problem, can only go on certain trailers without going Over Dimension.
I'd radiator is not horrible looking and hoses and linings good I would have bought a case of fuel filters and stuck it in the wind, but I don't think like some. My attitude is I will assess the problem when it pops up, if I catch it early good on me, if not well we will see to it then.

Last edited:
Middle of nowhere is further north. 3.50/ mile does not sound unreasonable. The size is what makes it a problem, can only go on certain trailers without going Over Dimension.

then I must be a real "mark" for these oversize load transporters. i know how to get what i want with car moves but that aint translating to competive rates here? :(

three quotes in the past year, best was that number per loaded mile. What's reasonable?

my only experience in the orange oval is I-40. and it sure looked like howling wilderness to me for vast stretches of it, from OK/TX border at panhandle, all the way to Flagstaff. :)

then I must be a real "mark" then for this guys three quotes in the past year, best was that number per loaded mile. What's reasonable?

my only experience in the orange oval is I-40. and it sure looked like howling wilderness to me for vast stretches of it, from OK/TX border at panhandle, all the way to Flagstaff. :)
3.50 is not bad I do not think you will do much better. It's a 1.20-1.50 a mile before the driver or equipment sees a dime and trucks don't just magically appear where you need them.
There is more along that route than you think. Trucks and stagecoaches have been wearing that road out for a long time there is people there that can keep you going.

1956 Greyhound Scenicruiser | eBay

I was NOT sucessful. Too much fixation on the duo of buses. I lost focus.

My "bus whisperer" had structural and safety concerns. I did not .. but I listened cuz I dunno what to look for on my own yet. Honest description, lots of pics, good seller I thought though so no issues there..

Sold for $8,900 which is within my budget for acquisition (<$15K) but not for transport (<$5K, best transport quote was $8,500 for the 2000 miles from AZ to MI)

SELLER DESCRIPTION (abbreviated)

Up for bids is my 1956 Greyhound Scencruiser. This bus was converted by my father who also built the three Echidna sports cars in the 50's. Google it to get an idea of his abilities.

He purchased the bus from Dickenson Lines Inc, Anoka Minnesota in 1977. He spent the next two years converting it. He elected to drop the upper floor to the depth of the center aisle instead of lifting the entire upper roof like some have done. He had looked at some done this way and did not like the overall look of the raised roof. This was at 80,068 miles after the conversion was completed.

The bus now has just over 97,000 miles on it. I purchased it from him in 1999 and full-timed with it until 2005. It has been parked since in Globe AZ and used for storage. This week I cleaned it out, checked fluid levels, fired it up, had six tires put on and took a 20 mile test drive. It runs and drives like the day I parked it.

Please understand that after sitting for 12 years anything could and might go wrong with it. It is being sold “As Is” for obvious reasons. I am not going to guarantee roadworthiness and I am not going to test everything in the bus before selling. Please do not ask me if I think it would make a 1000 mile trip.

I would recommend hauling it on a lowboy, but that choice is up to the purchaser. an it does in person. Included are parts and service manuals for the bus and engine and manuals for all equipment along with all research paperwork that my father had accumulated. Also included are some extra parts that he gave me when I bought the bus. Extra airbags for the suspension, various relays and other parts.

1956 4501 GMC Senicruiser Greyhound

• Engine: V-8 GMC 8V-71 diesel.
  • Transmission: Manual shift 4 speed.
  • Electrical: 12 volt system with negative ground.
  • Fuel tank: 185 gallons.
  • MPG 6-8.
  • Air brakes and air suspension.
  • Tires: 11.0 X 22.5 radial.
  • Two under-floor compartments totaling 200 cubic feet. 50” long. 90” wide. 38” high. Two smaller compartments totaling 4 cubic feet each.
  • Water: Fresh 200 gallon stainless steel tank with demand pump and two stage filtering.
  • Holding tanks: 200 gallon black water in back compartment and a 50 gallon gray water for kitchen sink.
  • Paloma instant water heater.
  • Rack for two 40 lbs propane tanks in engine compartment. One tank missing.
  • 6.0 KW Onan diesel generator.
  • 30 amp power converter charger.
  • 30,000 BTU Suburban furnace.
  • 6 cubic foot Dometic refrigerator. AC, Propane, 12volt.
  • Two burner cooktop.
  • Microwave/convection oven.
  • Standard size double stainless sink.
  • Electric dumbwaiter behind sink.
  • Monitoring system for water levels and battery condition.
  • Dinette seats 4 and converts into bed. Storage under all seats.
  • Forward facing seat for two.
  • Central vacuum.
  • Queen bed.
  • Three roof AC units with 5,400 BTU electric strips in each.

View attachment 127964 View attachment 127965 View attachment 127966 View attachment 127967 View attachment 127968 View attachment 127969 View attachment 127970 View attachment 127971 View attachment 127972 View attachment 127973

Tell us about your "Bus Whisperer." Is he a former Greyhound employee?

Tell us about your "Bus Whisperer." Is he a former Greyhound employee?

about 75 years old now i think, Went to General Motors Institute, former GM Truck and Bus engineer (PE designation but also worked in the plant), started his own HD truck repair and RV conversion/customizing business after GM exited buses in Mid 1980's. spent time in Detroit Diesel too in his formative years at GM.

Ran that biz he started till 2010 or so then "retired" sort of. caught up with him through a mutual friend in 2012. He's into antique (over 50 years old) cars now, his cottage on a lake, AND most importantly his grandkiddies :)

then I must be a real "mark" for these oversize load transporters. i know how to get what i want with car moves but that aint translating to competive rates here
Cars are LTL less than truckload, if you have a 8 car trailer and get $1000 for each car your line haul is $8000
Your bus is the whole truck so your bus needs to cost the same $8000
My less than that coat was for me to have a adventure on your dime LOL not for me to move it on my truck.

Cars are LTL less than truckload, if you have a 8 car trailer and get $1000 for each car your line haul is $8000

Your bus is the whole truck so your bus needs to cost the same $8000
My less than that coat was for me to have a adventure on your dime LOL not for me to move it on my truck.

that clears it up. i MISREAD your orignal post. you said $3.50 is NOT UNreasonable. I was skimmin' and missed the "NOT" part. Sorry.

makes perfect sense now .. THANKS!

I would have too .. i can still drive and have a CDL endorsement applicable to passenger and school buses.

my guy was NOT certain that a bus that sat for 12 years, then got a 20 mile test drive, was roadworthy for a 2000 mile trip to Michigan, along I-40 for part of it no less. Somewhere in the orange oval, i would be broken down in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 128374

does $3.50 a loaded mile seem reasonable for bus transport in your experience in the industry?
CDL may be unnecessary. Most states let a passenger car license drive if registered as an RV.

FWIW, it will probably be similar in cost to do a shake down run and repairs on the road as to have the repairs done close to home. Just try not to wait for the need of a big expensive tow rig and budget lots of time for a leisurely trip home (with down time for the unexpected).

It would be a good chance to find the gremlins in an old girl, while enjoying an adventure... but the trick would be not getting yourself stranded too far from a place to put her in storage if she did have trouble on the journey. A road trip home when you do find "the one" and maybe a chase vehicle to help keep options open might turn out to be a really good idea.

Thanks again. My sense of "adventure" needs some refinement I guess. Solid recommendations though for all the reasons you said to "drive that baby home" :)

Yes, Michigan doesn't require a CDL for "RV's" in general.

I got one with the proper endorsements because of the "RED" below. I do have business for which I wanna use it on occasion, and I can see transporting (not sleeping of course: that number is 6) 15 people or more on occasion.

I am NOT sure on the GVWR stuff .. bus PLUS C-body riding the trailer -- but better safe than sorry.

"Any Michigan resident who intends to operate the following commercial vehicles is required to have a commercial driver license:

Single Vehicles - Having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)* of 26,001 pounds or more, or Combination Vehicles - Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more when the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more.

Vehicles:

Designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver), carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding
Exemptions

Active Duty Military (including National Guard), Police Officers and Firefighters, Farmers: Operating vehicles within a 150 mile radius of their farm, and Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes."

yeah, not much happening with these.

The 78 ("Buffalo" Bus) is one my list as second choice (this one at $25K will never sell). Silver Eagles are second or third choice, depending but the SINGLE pic is 9 years old.

THe old Flxible is one of my favs from the PD4501 era .. love that rear end .. but this baby is rough. Best description out of all of them.

The articulated bus would make an already "prejudicial parking" (due to length) problem even worse .. and never seen one done up as a RV either (homework assignment)

That INS Prevost is kinda cool. I'd bet mileage is real .. but I never studies Prevosts at all EXCEPT the 1M dollar ones that are 20 years old now and have depreciated INTO my budget range.

The 'Tour Bus" has very little info to go on but i wouldn't chase it in any event .. dont even know what it is.

00-1-2.jpg
00-1-0.jpg
00-1-2-5.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg
00-1-1.jpg

Could always try for Buck Bonham's Band bus? Only if the real Slim Pickens was on board with the posse :)

I threw the articulated bus on there just as a chuckle but I think it's just a matter of time before some sick puppy does it. lol

Back