Scenicruisin'..?

By the time you finally set up this thing, it will be time to break it down.

00-1-2-1-jpg.jpg

Source: EarthRoamer

The EarthRoamer. $440,000 USD. Ok, cool rig, aint dissin' it .. but I don't get it. Its a "camper" yes?

This vehicle is powered by a 6.7 litre V8 turbo diesel engine, capable of generating 330 bhp and 750 lb-ft of torque. Using a Ford F-550 chassis, the EarthRoamerXV-LTS can tackle even the roughest of terrain

Adventurer and nature photographer Bill Swails started the company back in 1998 with the aim of producing a vehicle where the comforts of an RV can be experienced on almost any terrain.

The first prototype was created in 2003 and their popularity has grown since the first commercial version was released that same year, with more than 180 EarthRoamer vehicles ($80M worth) now on the road.

The latest version of the EarthRoamer also comes with a 40-inch TV, Bose surround sound, and a heated bathroom.

Such features, not to mention an extendable outdoor kitchen, mean that the vehicle has a year-long waiting list for admirers. The vehicle's brawn is combined with environmentally friendly solar panels on the roof.

00-1-0.jpg
00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg

54 Scenicruiser Mason 7 4 2017.jpg

Not an RV, but an interesting conversion.

Have you run across this guy? He does DJing for car shows around Mid-Michigan.

no sir. not familiar with this particular coach. thanks for pointing it out tho.

I knew a guy (indirectly, a friend of a friend) near Kalamazoo about 10 years ago who since passed away who had nice conversion. He did it (took an OLDER PD4501 conversion and updated it) in the late 80's shortly after he retired and drove the wheels off of it until illness took him off the road mid 2000's. I understand his son (in one of the Carolinas) had the coach after he died.

Before this one, I didnt know of any others based in Michigan, out of the 100 or so PD4501's left in the world. Thx again.

Even the French had one ... didnt know that till today. And one source said ZERO of 100 made are left

1956 Isobloc 656dH "Trans Car" Panoramique

00-1-2-7.jpg
00-1-2-8.jpg

00-1-3.jpg

Anybody ever seen a Silver Eagle like this?

View attachment 138700
Yep... watch for structural rust and unobtainable parts... Torsion bar rubber mountings seemed to be something the old ones always needed IIRC.
The preferred mode of transportation for country music stars when country was country.

They were originally built in Belgium.

Kevin
That company went under and was revived a few times... they were built several places (including Belgium). As I understand it, that adds to the unobtainable parts problem as different production facilities used different parts through the years they were produced. There are/were some very nice custom coaches built from these.

Anybody ever seen a Silver Eagle like this?

View attachment 138700

Earlier on in this thread, we did a buncha Silver Eagles. I like em and a couple of you razzed me on the "tour bus" thing (which is true ..either they are RV conversions or Waylon Jennings' Band is on board :) )

Most all of the conversions seem to have this fairing .. I am not sure IF at some point ALL the Silver Eagles ..even the Trailways coaches .. got rid of that observation window set up the 60's vintage coaches had?

00-1-3-00.jpg
00-1-3-0.jpg
00-1-3.jpg

After PD4501 (Scenicruiser) and PD4905 (Buffalo Bus), the Silver Eagles are on my list. Gotta keep my "posse" happy!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forcbodiesonly.com%2Fmopar-forum%2Fattachments%2F3-jpg.jpg

Cantflip pointed out the mechanical/parts issues. My "bus whisperer" agrees with him 100% on that but also told me he'd personally check one out for me IF I wanted one. He knows the "hard stuff" to find, the stuff that WILL fail, repairs/fixes that were/need to be made, etc..

00-1-2-7.jpg
00-1-2-8.jpg
00-1-2-9.jpg
00-1-3-000.jpg

The Twelve Tribes community has some very strange people. I wouldn't set foot in that bus. Might not make it back out.

The Twelve Tribes community has some very strange people. I wouldn't set foot in that bus. Might not make it back out.

Also known as the "Yahshuas" and the "Community". Sounds religious so I'm gonna veer off that topic right there

But seems tho they like the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan. and tourin' the country in a cool a** bus .. they gotta be ok then right? :)

More Build pics/process:

In 2004 The Community acquired the two vehicles - a 1955 GMC Scenicruiser and a 1949 General American Aerocoach Observation Coach - required to complete their vision and construction commenced in a small auto body shop located on Summer St. in Lancaster, New Hampshire.

The ten-wheeled 1955 Scenicruiser was horizontally bisected above the wheels retaining the original running gear. The top half was raised approximately 24” to provide it with the same stepped greenhouse seen on the original coach and its roof replaced with that of the 1949 Aerocoach.

Once again pieces were hand-fabricated to fill in the gaps and outfitted with side windows taken from the Aerocoach. The styling was substantially upgraded from that of the original Peacemaker by installing forward-facing windows below the bi-level roof and the quality of its construction exceeded the excellent work found on the original vehicle.

The exterior was finished off with a beautiful two-tone maroon and cream paint job with the front marquee bearing the bus' name: ‘Peacemaker’. The interior was modeled after a wooden ship and was finished in cherry, ash and mahogany hardwoods.

It can sleep up to 24 with convertible bunks and 2 overhead lofts and has a stainless steel bathroom with shower in the front and a kitchenette in the rear.

00-1-2-5-3.jpg
00-1-2-5-2.jpg
00-1-2-5-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-5.jpg
00-1-2-6.jpg
00-1-3-00.jpg
00-1-2-7.jpg
00-1-3-0.jpg
00-1-3-1.jpg

Heck .. they built TWO of these things.

In 1987 they did the Peacemaker I. Still driving it after three engines/three trannies, and several other replacements.

As you can see, only a six-wheeler vs the PD-4501 Peacemaker II.

00-1-2-5-3.jpg
00-1-2-5-2.jpg

Also known as the "Yahshuas" and the "Community". Sounds religious so I'm gonna veer off that topic right there

But seems tho they like the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan. and tourin' the country in a cool a** bus .. they gotta be ok then right? :)

More Build pics/process:

In 2004 The Community acquired the two vehicles - a 1955 GMC Scenicruiser and a 1949 General American Aerocoach Observation Coach - required to complete their vision and construction commenced in a small auto body shop located on Summer St. in Lancaster, New Hampshire.

The ten-wheeled 1955 Scenicruiser was horizontally bisected above the wheels retaining the original running gear. The top half was raised approximately 24” to provide it with the same stepped greenhouse seen on the original coach and its roof replaced with that of the 1949 Aerocoach.

Once again pieces were hand-fabricated to fill in the gaps and outfitted with side windows taken from the Aerocoach. The styling was substantially upgraded from that of the original Peacemaker by installing forward-facing windows below the bi-level roof and the quality of its construction exceeded the excellent work found on the original vehicle.

The exterior was finished off with a beautiful two-tone maroon and cream paint job with the front marquee bearing the bus' name: ‘Peacemaker’. The interior was modeled after a wooden ship and was finished in cherry, ash and mahogany hardwoods.

It can sleep up to 24 with convertible bunks and 2 overhead lofts and has a stainless steel bathroom with shower in the front and a kitchenette in the rear.

View attachment 141112 View attachment 141111 View attachment 141113 View attachment 141115 View attachment 141116 View attachment 141118 View attachment 141119 View attachment 141120 View attachment 141121
Gotta give them credit for an impressive build. I wonder if they have had any problems since completion and how strong it really is after that much work... remember Monocoque chassis.

I passed one of those Peacemaker buses on the highway a year or two. Looked sharp, but man did it take a while to figure out what it was. :)

Gotta give them credit for an impressive build. I wonder if they have had any problems since completion and how strong it really is after that much work... remember Monocoque chassis.

i remember you said that ...guess we gotta figure they knew this and built the buses with this in mind? i didnt find anything that discussed structural issues since the builds.

im gonna run it by my bus whisperer ... the build photos/finished product may give him some clues too.

they have 750K miles on the Peacemaker I since 1987 but say they are on third powertrain .. that seems like ONE rebuild too many maybe but nothing structurally would cause that right?

thanks

i remember you said that ...guess we gotta figure they knew this and built the buses with this in mind? i didnt find anything that discussed structural issues since the builds.

im gonna run it by my bus whisperer ... the build photos/finished product may give him some clues too.

they have 750K miles on the Peacemaker I since 1987 but say they are on third powertrain .. that seems like ONE rebuild too many maybe but nothing structurally would cause that right?

thanks
"The Twelve Tribes communities have had a bus similar to this on the road since 1987. That bus, the original Peacemaker, is made up of a 1961 GMC motor coach and parts from a 1950 Aerocoach. It has been well over 500,000 miles since its conversion in 1987. It is now on its third paint job, third transmission, third engine and countless sets of tires. Even now, we are preparing to bring it back into our "bus barn" for a complete freshening."

I grabbed the full quote... my guess is they built #1 from a PD4106(8v71) or PD4104(6v71)... I'd have to defer any questions of how long between overhauls for the 2 stroke diesels... and point out that mileage vs hours in use may be a factor here.

I can't see any reason for the chassis to accelerate wear, except perhaps the weight of the bus. The smaller 35 foot buses would also be a monocoque design, but I have read several times that PD4501's tend to get cracks in there skin above the rear axle area... maybe the smaller buses had less stress.

I too am very interested in the "Bus Whisperer's" opinions.

Back