Slow starting when hot

I use a big flat screwdriver to bump the starter when under the hood. Cantflip is right about the hazard of arc scarring the threads, but if you have a 3/8" x 16 die for the big lug, it will clean it up if needed. Trick is to touch the flat surface of the nut, not the threads.

you can do the same with the starter relay on your car. bridge from the large + lug to the small lug with the starter wire ( can't remember the wire color off the top of my head)
Small wire is red on Mathilda. The lugs on her are close enough to bump w a large flat-blade screwdriver.

I prefer to use my remote starter switch...but yeah, it is doing the same thing the ol screw driver is.

When I press the remote...

itlives.jpg

I always just used a quarter out of my pocket.

I don't carry very much cash these days, let alone pocket change... This is one place that doesn't take my Visa card.

While the engine is running, how many here have grabbed the coil wire with one hand while leaning on the radiator support with the other hand?

While the engine is running, how many here have grabbed the coil wire with one hand while leaning on the radiator support with the other hand?
I did one that was pretty bad.

Remember the old style timing lights before the inductive style became popular? You would pull #1 plug wire on the cap and put a metal piece in the line and plug it back in. Then you would clip the trigger wire for the light to it.

I was using my old light, my spare, at the track. I had just installed a new MSD7 and I was playing around with timing settings.

My right wrist brushed the clip on #1 and my left wrist was against the hood pin. The shock was the worst I've ever had... before or since. My muscles contracted hard on both arms and across my chest... and I felt it in my heart. I seem to remember that with the coil we were using, the secondary voltage was around 45KV.

It stunned me pretty hard... and I was sore after that, especially my chest. I was probably about 24 years old at the time. Looking back at it, I don't know if I could take that kind of shock across my chest today.

is that worse then getting the defibrillator paddles when your still conscious?

I did one that was pretty bad.

Remember the old style timing lights before the inductive style became popular? You would pull #1 plug wire on the cap and put a metal piece in the line and plug it back in. Then you would clip the trigger wire for the light to it.

I was using my old light, my spare, at the track. I had just installed a new MSD7 and I was playing around with timing settings.

My right wrist brushed the clip on #1 and my left wrist was against the hood pin. The shock was the worst I've ever had... before or since. My muscles contracted hard on both arms and across my chest... and I felt it in my heart. I seem to remember that with the coil we were using, the secondary voltage was around 45KV.

It stunned me pretty hard... and I was sore after that, especially my chest. I was probably about 24 years old at the time. Looking back at it, I don't know if I could take that kind of shock across my chest today.
ha,ha, i still use my timing light with the coiled wire that goes between the plug and wire.
i've done the same thing. your arm jumps around like a frog on a hot plate for a minute or two.
th

I have had that problem, I put a heat shield on the exhaust pipe to protect the starter and have not had a problem since. My starter got so hot I could not touch it because of the exhaust.

i think it was my charging system heating up the coil. I haven't had any problem since rewiring the alternator and fixing what my mechanic did. He removed my voltage regulator when I upgraded the ignition with an ecu. I've decided to try and do as much as possible myself with the help of the board since that happened.

i think it was my charging system heating up the coil. I haven't had any problem since rewiring the alternator and fixing what my mechanic did. He removed my voltage regulator when I upgraded the ignition with an ecu. I've decided to try and do as much as possible myself with the help of the board since that happened.
That is what I thought also, but once I put a heat shield on, it went away.

I'm having hot starting issues as well. I was under the impression it was the newer gas and the need to have An elevated carb but I'm thinking possibly electrical now.

Here is the description of my problem. Car used to have labored cold starts. I rebuilt the carb and it fixed that. Carb runs great. The car has always started slower after being hot, but today for first time ever it WOULD NOT START. Car fired on first turn of key when I left the house. I drove it about 15 minutes before reaching my destination. The car sat about 50 minutes and the temp gauge was at 185-190. I cranked it and it just kept cranking. I stopped let the starter cool. Starter kept getting slower now each attempt. I took off air cleaner and shot some starter fluid in it ( it's what I had available). No improvement. After about 3-4 unsuccessful attempts I just decided to let the car sit and cool and try again tonight .

The car has the standard full sized starter I have not changed anything with it since buying the car 3 years ago. Car has original battery I bought with car (3 years old). I have not changed the coil or any ignition parts. I have changed the plugs and plug wires. Could it be I need a spacer on the card? Do I need another starter? Is the battery kaput? Just trying to get ideas on where to start the diagnostics. Thanks to all

It could be all of the above. First check the voltage in your battery, if it is under 12.5 volts with everything off put a charger on it. Second once you have the battery charged check the voltage drop across the battery when it is cold and it starts. Third after it is warmed up check the voltage drop across the battery when hot. If you have a major difference between cold and hot start your starter is probably gone.

Back