The Bluesmobile

Good job maybe it will help get me moving on my body work, I'm past the welding, grinding on to blocking filling blocking filling blocking, blocking, blocking you get the idea. That is afancy work light you have.:poke:

That is afancy work light you have.:poke:

I'm just glad snap on was able to get it in for me :eek:ccasion14: . I picked up a proper light the other day.. Got tired of blowing bulbs from the weld splatter haha Though I'm sure I'll still use it.

A little progress. This lower corner is pretty bad. Starting from the inside out. New metal welded on to the inner rocker end.

I had to trim more metal away from the dog leg. The top of the outer rocker is really ate up. More then I thought. I can peal the rocker away from the corner support a quarter inch or so. Not good!!

When I disassembled the car I broke the rear seat belt retractor bolt off in the welded nut. I couldn't extract what was left for the life of me. So broke out the sazall. Damn that was a nasty little bugger! Took me half an hour to cut the nut out. Can see the hole for it in the 2nd pic, behind the rocker under the welding slot to the right. Calling it a night.

Got a new nut welded in for the seat belt retractor, as well as new metal being welded in. What fun

Great job I don't envy all the body work you have, but I envy the skill you have doing it.

Great job I don't envy all the body work you have, but I envy the skill you have doing it.

Thanks Mike! Still learning as I go... Did you ever jump into the bodywork project you were gonna do? I know you mentioned it a while back.

Nice job. Thanks for the update. Must be satisfying to make progress.

Thanks! It is, I just wish it was over! One day. As long as you guys enjoy the progress, I'll keep posting lol. I have no local car buds to show off too, or go to for help. Their all up north! I've only had one friend come down, and take a look at the old girl since shes been in for surgery.

Jeezes, you're getting some real nice beads now.

It was REAL nice working on the thicker metal of the rocker! Could get a few real nice beads going. Sucked having to go back to the thin metal. One tack at a time yuck. Atleast I don't have to grind all those purty welds down on the rocker. Even though they will still be hidden.

Been a goofy week. My best friend that I moved down here with passed away sunday night. Don't have an actual cause of death yet. However I'm suspecting he over dosed on his pain meds for his back. This last year hasn't been the greatest for him, but I never saw this coming. Only 40yrs old. Left behind a 12, and 9 year old little girls, wife, and step son. Just got back from the funeral home for arrangments... Ugh..

The cars been good at keeping my mind off it though.

Working on your car with the radio blaring is good medicine. Sorry about your friend.
All my friends from when I worked are dropping like flies now.

Recently watched Dallas Buyer's Club....look familiar?

Sorry to hear about your buddy!

Monaco-Dallas buyers.jpg

Monaco-Dallas buyers-2.jpg

Back on the horse this week. Finished the floor up, and ran some new metal up the lip of the floor. Welded in, and finished the patch on the end of the rocker. Now finishing up the inner wheel well corner.

Just spent the better part of my night shift reading through your thread, all I can say is I'm thoroughly impressed! I've always had a soft spot for the blues mobiles as it was what got me interested in c bodies to begin with! I'll be starting a thread sometime today when I'm at an actual computer on my '71 fury which I swear is some relative of Christine! Keep up the good work, hopefully see you at Carlisle '16!

Nothing to really report lately. Been sitting idle for a while again. Really need some time to get back to work on her. The big brown truck did bring some goodies though!

Was pretty cool getting formal parts from a company! The inline box is full of new fuel/vent lines. They look great! Need to be straightened out in a couple spots when the time comes (they were folded for packaging.) Also finally got a filler panel for between the rear bumper, and body. Came from the green Monaco that was on fire a while ago. Luckily this one made it unscathed.

20151010_132636.jpg

Yea. I believe he has sold a few parts already. I got the panel a couple months ago. Was hoping to get more, but the stuff I wanted was ruined by the fire, or age...

I did too. Really though, if he wanted to save it he could have. The body was pretty clean. He would of had to track an interior down, as well as a new wiring harness. But i'd much rather do that than play with rust...

Tinkered with the car the last couple weekens. Finished up where I left off in the wheel well.

I pillaged the other metal I needed off of the other section of car I had. The dog leg really fought me the whole way. Luckily I won! The pieces had a little bit of rot down low that need replaced. But much better then what I had!

Got the inner piece installed, along with new metal added where needed. Ran the welder out of gas, and wire today. Hopefully pick up some more, and get the dog leg installed tomorrow.

Got the dog leg on. Pretty happy with how its coming out. I'll finish grinding, and adding metal to it next weekend. Get a 4 day weekend coming up should be able to get a lot done. don't think the turkey run is gonna happen this year with the cordoba acting up...

It took a lot of time, but I read through your entire history here...wow! Your kicking ***. The tenacity to get through this kind of project really says something. Its really cool to me that you have done such a good job documenting your project... I never seem to get my crap together enough for that. It had to hurt when you first realized it was going to need you to go so deep into it. I have to ask, because I haven't seen anyone use or recommend it, have you tried OSPHO? I have had pretty good success with it on my projects when rust is an issue. Its a cheap, easy to find (ace hardware) rust converter. It is a pain to deal with, but IMO works good. I haven't tried Rust Bullet, but have used the self etching rust converter paint from Wurth with some success if the rust was thoroughly cleaned first.

I guess I just asked a question that will bring several opinions... but would like to know what seems to have worked and what hasn't. A car with cancer like yours needs something to stop the spread, and I haven't found many that don't have some started already.

Back