What are you working on today??

View attachment 665751View attachment 665752

1st one's done, 3 more to go. Let's see if we learned anything.
That’s awesome!

My brother in law is working on a train car in Minneapolis that is going to be absolutely stunning. It was the personal car of the owner of a railway that brought fresh fish from Washington State.

Resized_Resized_20240606_132443_1717698298191_1717698356530.jpeg

Today's project is to start getting the Savoy running better. It has a surge/hesitation at around 35mph and won't accelerate beyond that. I'm hoping this kink in the fuel line is the culprit, because I really don't feel like draining the gas tank to change the filter.
20240620_153938.jpg

Got the 2 dr hardtop washed and relocated. I pulled the front wheel off to replace a flat and discovered it has the 11x3" front brakes (earlier I noticed bigger rear drums). Originally, I thought that if it had the big rear drums it was produced after 3/28/1967 which is a flag note in the older parts books; but then when decoding I noticed it was only produced December 09, 1966.

So this car was probably ordered with 478 Drum Brakes Heavy Duty; a $20.95 option. Interestingly, it was not ordered with Power Brakes which would have cost $41.75. Maybe they figured that opting for the bigger drums they didn't need the power assist. I am kind of tickled about this and might keep the front drums rather than do a disc conversion. I did the Scarebird conversion on one of my other ones and really like it but they changed the kit engineering. The one that I bought used Dodge Ram 1500 calipers (awesome)! The new kits use Citation calipers and will clear 14" rims. To me clearing 14" rims is not a criteria for selection anyway, because you can't really get a good selection of bigger 14" passenger car tires anymore.
100_0295.JPG

I would guess some of you are like me and also collect the dealer literature for these cars too. I feel restoring these cars is almost like a duty to society to preserve the history, as well as getting the benefit of actually driving a piece of history.

Anyway….I saw one of these Color and Trim selector books at a display at a car show a few years ago. I never knew these dealer books existed, let alone how much I would eventually want one. I know there are scans available on the web, but seeing the level of craftsmanship that went in to making these books with your own eyes is on a whole other level.

Over the years I picked up a dealer brochure, print ads, even a very clean owners manual (complete with warranty card and adverts for Chrysler boats). I found a decent copy of the service manual and eventually spent the money for a dealer data book. A couple of years ago I came across a complete parts catalogue at a car show swap meet and couldn’t leave with out it.

But…. The Color and Trim Selector book always eluded me. There was one that I would see come up for sale on EBay from time to time, but it was way more than I wanted to spend.

Well the other day one popped up, it was an acceptable price, but was not in top notch condition, but I figured “what the heck…” so I bought it!

IMG_1414.jpeg

A few YouTube videos later, and now I am learning how to restore books. So far I am happy with the results! (Up next is how to reflatten the acetate sheet for the exterior colors).

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1419.jpeg

Some of process pics of bringing some life back to this 57 year old beauty:
IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

I’ll figure out the vinyl repair soon.

And I was pleasantly surprised on what a practically dry Mr. Clean magic eraser could do on the pages (they are a coated card stock)

Before:
IMG_1426.jpeg

After:
IMG_1427.jpeg

95 Deville front brakes. Can't wait to get rid of this Crapillac. More room for another Mopar, something that stays fixed when its fixed.
So, today I worked on garage space for the future Chrysler.

Yep, the 95 Crapillac strikes again.
Today's butt poke is a front wheel hub.
So, still no room for the next Mopar.

95 Deville front brakes. Can't wait to get rid of this Crapillac. More room for another Mopar, something that stays fixed when its fixed.
So, today I worked on garage space for the future Chrysler.
Yep, the 95 Crapillac strikes again.
Today's butt poke is a front wheel hub.
So, still no room for the next Mopar.

And yep, the 95 Crapillac strikes yet again.
Rear air ride is sitting on the ground. Another $50 and two hours gone.

Nothing, simply nothing. Enjoying the week on a lake in “north county” New Hampshire with the family and listening to Jimmy Buffett. …and best part is limited cell service up here.

Happy 4th everyone…and thank you to those who served our country. We are privileged to enjoy these opportunities because of you. God Bless You and God Bless America.

IMG_1426.jpeg

After the 4th of July show got rained out and the hail started falling. I retreated to my rented shop space, lucky it's only a couple of blocks away.
Anyone else have so much space yet no room? And yes all but two of cars are my late father's.
IMG_20240704_192823197_HDR.jpg

Cooked out and enjoyed the day off, I have tomorrow off but I need to head up to the shop to put my wife's 15 Buick Encore back together. It was eating oil and smoking, I got a good deal on it from the Dealer as my customer traded it off. The turbo is leaking oil and one piston has a broken ring land. 4 new updated pistons from GM, head gasket and head bolts, timing cover gasket, intake seals and a warrantied turbo should put it back in business. I will get some pic's tomorrow

Back