What did you do to your C-body today....

More work on my door panels. I painted them today as you can see by my shoes. BTW, those are restaurant shoes. Slip resistant, not expensive and they last a long time . I'm due for another pair.

iWYMvwQ.jpg

Base coat white with a pearl top coat. Lacquer paint with a flex agent from Kolor Korrect-Your Source For Classic Car Paint Not cheap!!!

I had to buy a paint shaker. Harbor Freight has a decent one that's not too expensive. Used one of those Harbor Freight purple spray guns too!

x84ZKjJ.jpg

The wrinkles appeared after painting, so I'm really hoping that they will go away as the paint dries more.

8ORtar4.jpg

Wrinkles. I wouldn't have anticipated that. Now I will give a lot of thought to options and methods for painting panels before I do it.
I definitely appreciate you sharing that with us. You have certainly saved a lot of people a lot of heart ache.
Again, thank you.

I was going to drive the Imperial yesterday. I dropped a socket on the floor and watched it roll under the fuel tank. Surprise! Kneeling down, I find I've got a leaking pinion seal or a pumpkin gasket. A nice little puddle under the third member, smiling at me. So, no drive until I can get under it and figure it out. Oh, yay.

Wrinkles. I wouldn't have anticipated that. Now I will give a lot of thought to options and methods for painting panels before I do it.
I definitely appreciate you sharing that with us. You have certainly saved a lot of people a lot of heart ache.
Again, thank you.
I wasn't expecting that either. I've used SEM paint before with no issues like that, but this paint is lacquer and I think the vinyl soaked up the thinner and reacted like that.

So, first thing this morning, I checked the panels and most of the wrinkles are gone. I think it will get even better as the paint dries and the solvents continue to evaporate. It's supposed to be nice today, so they might get placed in the sun.

Thinking about it, I would have done a lighter first coat. It's been decades since I sprayed lacquer. Those panels had a lot of discoloring, so I had to put down a lot of white first, then the pearl was just three light coats. That might not have made any difference though.

One other thing worth noting.... I could spray SEM cans a whole lot cheaper. I wanted this to match and it's a white pearl rather than a straight color, so SEM wasn't a choice.

wvKgv3r.png

Last edited:
Back