1969 Imperial progress thread

When will you be in Detroit??:poke::lol:
Believe it or not, I was actually planning to drive to tiffin, OH next week and would have asked you if you are around if I would have come to Detroit.

But I was in NYC over the past weekend and walked nearly 40 miles in 3 Days, which my feet didn't like, so now I have a stress fracture in my right foot and can't walk. :( That unfortunately kills all my plans...

So we have to do that next time! I definitely have to attend Carlisle someday, that would be a good oportunity!

Sorry to hear that, let me know if you change your mind and can make it.

Shop Update:

As I said before, due to personal things, I don't have the time and money right now to make huge steps. But there are still a lot of things I'm constantly working on, and most of them cost a lot of time to do right!

So, let's get started.

Thanks to BigJohn, I was able to find and buy a NOS lower Steering Column Bearing. I installed that and now the steering column is completely done.
The steering wheel is still (or again) at D&D..... I was able to reach him 6 weeks before my trip to the US and we agreed that he would finish my steering wheel in time for me to take it home in my suitcase. He delivered on time, but he ran out of time in the end resulting in him sending me a half finished steering wheel............
Obviously, it went right back to him to do it over, since it was not acceptable. This journey lasts almost 3 Years now.... More on that when I get my steering wheel delivered.

Another project I'm working on is a Saginaw power steering pump. I had to switch over from the Chrysler pump because my Vintage Air kit requires a Saginaw pump.
I was able to find a nice rebuildable, used one, took it apart, media blasted all the parts (except the internal parts) and now parts are waiting to get zinc plated.
Also, I bought a rebuild kit, brand new brackets ,hoses and a cap from 440 Source and brought them with me so that I can finish the pump as soon as I have the parts back from plating.

Some good news from my painter as well. He finished the Trunk Lid and Fender Skirts and is working on the Hood and Fenders now, which are the last parts he needs to finish!

Maybe you remember I had the debacle with the foam I filled the trunk lid with, which resulted in pulling the outer skin down where it shrunk....
The painter had to apply quite a lot of Bondo to correct that, and its still not perfect... Maybe I will buy another Trunk Lid later someday to correct that. But for now it is what it is..
2023-11-20 16.29.33.jpg

I applied seam sealer 1 day before my flight so he could paint the trunk during my vacation.
2024-07-10 17.29.03.jpg

I have to say, the paint came out pretty amazing again! It's only painted for now. Wet sanding and polishing will come when I have all the parts.
2024-08-10 11.15.52.jpg

Same with the Fender Skirts, but I forgot to make photos... ;)

Next project I'm working on, is the instrument cluster. I just recently learned, that there was a mid year change on the '69 model year where Chrysler switched from the wood grain cluster to the black one. I always thought they did that for the '70 model year.
With the black cluster, they also switched from the self glowing, molded letters to solid, raised, white painted letters on the plastic cover. Since I prefer the later ones, I bought a complete cluster to get a black Speedometer and I also bought all the other gauges NOS.
So, now I can start and rebuild the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, the plastic cover I bought is in pretty rough shape...
2024-08-04 12.46.18.jpg

If someone happens to have a very nice, black cluster face cover, I'm highly interested!

Another big project is the insulation of the whole body. I've bought tons of Alubutyl and felt damping material to apply to the floors, doors ans so on.
But I have to wait for my broken ankle and my back injury to heal, before I can crawl around in my car again...

I'm also working on my Strud Bars again. I have a plan to change them. I will post about them as soon as the plan I'm working on works out.

Same with the Hood Hinges. Since these are always worn out and are a huge problem, causing the hood to stick up in the back, I'm working on a plan to make them better and sturdier.
Again, more about them when everything works out ;)

Another huge project is the left Ashtray in my Dashboard. The idea to put the Vintage Air controls in it escalated big time.
But again, more on that when/if everything works out.

But next to these big projects, I also have to solve small problems. Like Door Hinge Shims for example.
To get the new passenger door to fit perfectly, I had to add 1,5 mm (0,06") shims between the body and the inner hinge half.
My body man used washers to align the door and it worked fine, but I didn't like how that looked, so I designed my own shims and had the laser cut from stainless steel.
If someone needs a set, let me know. ;)
2023-08-12 09.18.02.jpg
2024-04-10 18.00.59.jpg

This brings me to what feels like my biggest project at the moment. Making a new wiring harness from scratch.
And before I can even start laying out some new wires, I have to make a new wiring diagram from scratch as well.
Wiring is not my strong point, so I have a lot of trouble doing that. It's soo confusing sometimes.

Sneak peak:
01.jpg

There is still soooo much to do on that.. :rolleyes:

That is my shop update for now. I hope that helps you see that I'm still working on Jacky and didn't abandon my project as some bad voices said. :thankyou:

Shop Update:

As I said before, due to personal things, I don't have the time and money right now to make huge steps. But there are still a lot of things I'm constantly working on, and most of them cost a lot of time to do right!

So, let's get started.

Thanks to BigJohn, I was able to find and buy a NOS lower Steering Column Bearing. I installed that and now the steering column is completely done.
The steering wheel is still (or again) at D&D..... I was able to reach him 6 weeks before my trip to the US and we agreed that he would finish my steering wheel in time for me to take it home in my suitcase. He delivered on time, but he ran out of time in the end resulting in him sending me a half finished steering wheel............
Obviously, it went right back to him to do it over, since it was not acceptable. This journey lasts almost 3 Years now.... More on that when I get my steering wheel delivered.

Another project I'm working on is a Saginaw power steering pump. I had to switch over from the Chrysler pump because my Vintage Air kit requires a Saginaw pump.
I was able to find a nice rebuildable, used one, took it apart, media blasted all the parts (except the internal parts) and now parts are waiting to get zinc plated.
Also, I bought a rebuild kit, brand new brackets ,hoses and a cap from 440 Source and brought them with me so that I can finish the pump as soon as I have the parts back from plating.

Some good news from my painter as well. He finished the Trunk Lid and Fender Skirts and is working on the Hood and Fenders now, which are the last parts he needs to finish!

Maybe you remember I had the debacle with the foam I filled the trunk lid with, which resulted in pulling the outer skin down where it shrunk....
The painter had to apply quite a lot of Bondo to correct that, and its still not perfect... Maybe I will buy another Trunk Lid later someday to correct that. But for now it is what it is..
View attachment 677522

I applied seam sealer 1 day before my flight so he could paint the trunk during my vacation.
View attachment 677523

I have to say, the paint came out pretty amazing again! It's only painted for now. Wet sanding and polishing will come when I have all the parts.
View attachment 677525

Next project I'm working on, is the instrument cluster. I just recently learned, that there was a mid year change on the '69 model year where Chrysler switched from the wood grain cluster to the black one. I always thought they did that for the '70 model year.
With the black cluster, they also switched from the self glowing, molded letters to solid, raised, white painted letters on the plastic cover. Since I prefer the later ones, I bought a complete cluster to get a black Speedometer and I also bought all the other gauges NOS.
So, now I can start and rebuild the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, the plastic cover I bought is in pretty rough shape...
View attachment 677527
If someone happens to have a very nice, black cluster face cover, I'm highly interested!

Another big project is the insulation of the whole body. I've bought tons of Alubutyl and felt damping material to apply to the floors, doors ans so on.
But I have to wait for my broken ankle and my back injury to heal, before I can crawl around in my car again...

I'm also working on my Strud Bars again. I have a plan to change them. I will post about them as soon as the plan I'm working on works out.

Same with the Hood Hinges. Since these are always worn out and are a huge problem, causing the hood to stick up in the back, I'm working on a plan to make them better and sturdier.

Another huge project is the left Ashtray in my Dashboard. The idea to put the Vintage Air controls in it escalated big time.

But next to these big projects, I also have to solve small problems. Like Door Hinge Shims for example.
To get the new passenger door to fit perfectly, I had to add 1,5 mm (0,06") shims between the body and the inner hinge half.
My body man used washers to align the door and it worked fine, but I didn't like how that looked, so I designed my own shims and had the laser cut from stainless steel.
View attachment 677533 View attachment 677534

This brings me to what feels like my biggest project at the moment. Making a new wiring harness from scratch.
And before I can even start laying out some new wires, I have to make a new wiring diagram from scratch as well.
Wiring is not my strong point, so I have a lot of trouble doing that. It's soo confusing sometimes.

Sneak peak:
View attachment 677535

That is my shop update for now. I hope that helps you see that I'm still working on Jacky and didn't abandon my project as some bad voices said. :thankyou:
Wiring is not difficult. Tedious at times? Yes. Working on wiring should embrace the approach that the tortoise uses to win the race: slow and steady…

Once again, after reading your latest post, I am left with my mouth hanging open like a fly trap. The updates are amazing, as always. Your car will be so nice. Are you sure you want to pull that fine automotive specimen out on public roads once you complete the car?

Thank you for the update and I hope your injury gets better.

Wiring is not difficult. Tedious at times? Yes. Working on wiring should embrace the approach that the tortoise uses to win the race: slow and steady…
I'm more of a visual guy. My head is spinning pretty often while drawing the wiring diagram. A lot of things simply doesn't make sense to me ;)
But as usual, I biting into it and get it done. But it's a major undertaking for me.

Once again, after reading your latest post, I am left with my mouth hanging open like a fly trap. The updates are amazing, as always. Your car will be so nice. Are you sure you want to pull that fine automotive specimen out on public roads once you complete the car?

Thank you for the update and I hope your injury gets better.
Thanks for the kind words! :)

I'm going to drive her for sure! I'm looking forward to the day I can finally get her on the road! :)

Is the original wiring totally trashed?
It's not totally trashed, but it's not good enough for what I'm aiming for. The insulation is brittle is numerous places, mice chewed on a lot of wires and so on and so forth. I would introduce a lot of old problems into the new car when using the old harness!
And I have to change most of the harness anyway due to modifications, so its the best way to make a new one!

Shop Update:

So, let's get started.

View attachment 677522

View attachment 677523

View attachment 677525

View attachment 677527

View attachment 677533 View attachment 677534

Sneak peak:
View attachment 677535

A '69 Imperial came up on a Dodge Charger page yesterday, the bloke bought it for the 440/727, parting out the rest, don't know if the part you want is there and in good condition, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Imperial.PNG

I am in total disbelief that you find wiring hard to comprehend.
Being very modest is more like it.
I'm more of a visual guy, I'm pretty good at everything graphic or artistic wise. Most of the new, "normal" wiring is not that hard to figure out, but the factory wiring is very confusing to me. Chrysler did a lot of things I simply don't fully understand in order to safe copper. Obviously it works, but I often don't understand how... ;)

Back