1969 Imperial progress thread

yet.

images.jpeg

Where is the ‘69 B9 Imperial posted for sale? I’ve been looking for a 4 door in that color for a long time.

Where is the ‘69 B9 Imperial posted for sale? I’ve been looking for a 4 door in that color for a long time.
A Dodge Charger fb group, here's a creenshot of it. I've asked for a contact number for you, see if he replies. What's the red x for bud?

Chargergroup.png

Last edited:
Finally, my modified Strud Rods are "done". Unfortunately, the mashinist, who modified the original strud rods, screwed up the new threads... They were cut crooked, resulting in very shallow threads towards the ends. One even doesn't have any threads on one side. And that's the part where the locking nuts are sitting, so not an option to use them as they are now.
I hope he comes up with a solution to solve that problem.

08.jpg

But besides that, I'm very pleased with the basic idea and the general result of my initial idea.

I bought an adjustable Strud Rod Kit for B-Bodies from QA1 (#52312)
01.jpg

The original Imperial Strud Rods with their big, mushy bushings are pretty inaccurate and not adjustable to correctly set up caster.
Since Imperials have a unique way to attach the Strud Rods to the Lower Control Arm, I had to use these "hockey stick ends" of the original Strud Rods and modify them to attach them to the QA1 parts.

When cutting them, I left enough lenght to mount them in the lathe chuck.
02.jpg

They were turned down to .625" on the lathe to accept the new 5/8-18 UNF left hand threads.
03.jpg

Next, they were trimmed to the final lenght. I planned for 70mm long threads to have enough adjustability later.
04.jpg

Fresh off the lathe, before the "crooked" threads were cut.
05.jpg

The QA1 center tube had to be cut down 70mm, 35mm on each side, to achieve the total lenght of the original Strud Rods later.
06.jpg

Because of that, new flat spots for a wrench had to be cut and the internal threads had to be extended inside the tube.
07.jpg

And ready, almost, are the adjustable Imperial Strud Rods! :)
09.jpg

As soon as the threads are fixed, they will get zinc plated and painted and then installed.
10.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, my modified Strud Rods are "done". Unfortunately, the mashinist, who modified the original strud rods, screwed up the new threads... They were cut crooked, resulting in very shallow threads towards the ends. One even doesn't have any threads on one side. And that's the part where the locking nuts are sitting, so not an option to use them as they are now.
I hope he comes up with a solution to solve that problem.

View attachment 686036

But besides that, I'm very pleased with the basic idea and the general result of my initial idea.

I bought an adjustable Strud Rod Kit from QA1 for B-Bodies (#52312)
View attachment 686029

The original Imperial Strud Rods with their big, mushy bushings are pretty inaccurate and not adjustable to correctly set up the caster.
Since Imperials have a unique way to attach the Strud Rods to the Lower Control Arm, I had to use these "hockey stick ends" of the original Strud Rods and modify them to attach them to the QA1 parts.

When cutting them, I left enough lenght to mount them in the lathe chuck.
View attachment 686030

They were turned down to .625" on the lathe to accept the new 5/8-18 UNF left hand threads.
View attachment 686031

Next, they were trimmed to the final lenght. I planned for 70mm long threads to have enough adjustability later.
View attachment 686032

Fresh off the lathe, before the "crooked" threads were cut.
View attachment 686033

The QA1 center tube had to be cut down 70mm, 35mm on each side, to achieve the total lenght of the original Strud Rods later.
View attachment 686034

Because of that, new flat spots for a wrench had to be cut and the internal threads had to be extended inside the tube.
View attachment 686035

And ready, almost, are the adjustable Imperial Strud Rods! :)
View attachment 686037

As soon as the threads are fixed, they will get zinc plated and painted and then installed.
View attachment 686038
Great idea and it’s unfortunate that the threads were incorrectly cut. You might have to get replacement ends. Correction of the end to get the threads square with the face of the end may be impossible…

Great idea and it’s unfortunate that the threads were incorrectly cut. You might have to get replacement ends. Correction of the end to get the threads square with the face of the end may be impossible…
Correcting it is probably impossible, yes.

The machinist suggested, since the shallow threads are only at the end where the locking nuts are sitting, that he could make new tubes, slice them and mill some clamps, like on oem tie rods to lock the adjustment down. This way there would be no need for new strud rods.

Excellent modification and beautifully recorded. Thank you! - The only thing I would be worried about is possible corrosion btw AL-tube and Fe-threads. Aluminum and steel do not like each other if there is any moisture at all. And in suspension components, if the vehicle is not a trailer queen only, there is always dampness around. (The added weight of steel tubes in place of aluminum ones, in this case, would be insignificant.)

Excellent modification and beautifully recorded. Thank you! - The only thing I would be worried about is possible corrosion btw AL-tube and Fe-threads. Aluminum and steel do not like each other if there is any moisture at all. And in suspension components, if the vehicle is not a trailer queen only, there is always dampness around. (The added weight of steel tubes in place of aluminum ones, in this case, would be insignificant.)
That's how QA1 has built it. They used Steel bolts initially as well. They applied a generous amount of anti-seize tho.

But due to the modifications I have to make because of the screwed up threads, I went with Steel now because I don't want to cut slots into the aluminum tubes, in case I have to change something later.

It isn't the thread that's shallow. The OD of the threads is tapered.

What has happened is it was sticking out of the chuck too far and the first cut was too deep. Looking at the chatter marks, I also wonder if the cutting tool wasn't on center, possibly set too low. The "hockey stick" portion sticking out can also cause some balance issues that compound the problem, especially when it protrudes that far out of the chuck.

Cutting a part like that requires everything be right in the setup and some patience with taking light cuts, making measurements to check for taper. Back in my Toolmaker days, we would have said "you gotta sneak up on it". Hmm.. I'm now remembering the smell of the shop.... black cutting oil, beer farts and unfiltered Lucky Strikes. Smells like victory.

All that said, I think they are usable as is. You have the lock nut on the other end that will keep it from turning, so that's not a big worry. If you look at how they mount in a B body, you can see why there's a lock nut. With the "hockey stick" that end can't turn. The portion of the thread in the tube is good. I'd still use the locknut as it would take any looseness out of the threaded joint.

1728645901224.png

Back