New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

I really hate Toyotas - Even more than Hondas.
japan_weird_shit.jpg

Little later in the day... clean

1A264E06-3F2F-46F8-B93A-787C599FF519.jpeg

Resprayed the valve covers... needed to really rattle off the can to get the right color. We live and learn. Looks much better without the emission sticker on it.

No leaks, so far, from the heavy duty gaskets.

A54EC415-4381-4653-A77A-BFEECBC00D05.jpeg

She’s home. So far so good. Wife only upset with me for a day. I call that a win!!!

796C852C-DE08-469E-9559-871CEC0D72B1.jpeg

Temp where the car runs almost perfectly. Transition to it gives rough idle until the temp hits the normal range or close. First few minutes are perfect until the enrichment circuit cuts out. More thinking called for.

Tomorrow I’ll tune up the Citroën and mess with the cruise control on the NYB.

Last edited:
Still sorting through the cruise control. Not getting power from the switch now. Need to trace it.

Went to lunch and it was really hot. Car ran well and a/c was blowing cold. No problem. After lunch, car started fine but had this horrific belt squeal. Opened the hood and found a first.....

DC1C7616-0DB4-4D74-B32A-72F66E7A5980.jpeg

The belt was flipped and was actually riding on the edge of the pulley..... that’s a first!

438BF9AC-C470-4C1C-A6B1-7DAA5A712D16.jpeg

Looks like I got a rotten one.

Last edited:
Shame you can't go and put it up the genius' sphincter that sold it to you. Hard to even find "matched belts" anymore. Ask for them and they look at you like you're from another planet!
Probably broke first I would think, then the other was squealing maybe not...

Shame you can't go and put it up the genius' sphincter that sold it to you. Hard to even find "matched belts" anymore. Ask for them and they look at you like you're from another planet!
Probably broke first I would think, then the other was squealing maybe not...
That’s exactly what I thought.

Little later in the day... clean

View attachment 195096

Resprayed the valve covers... needed to really rattle off the can to get the right color. We live and learn. Looks much better without the emission sticker on it.

No leaks, so far, from the heavy duty gaskets.

View attachment 195097

She’s home. So far so good. Wife only upset with me for a day. I call that a win!!!

View attachment 195098

Temp where the car runs almost perfectly. Transition to it gives rough idle until the temp hits the normal range or close. First few minutes are perfect until the enrichment circuit cuts out. More thinking called for.

Tomorrow I’ll tune up the Citroën and mess with the cruise control on the NYB.

Follow up.....

On the theory that the time in the shop with its short running times fouled the plugs and loaded the intake with old gas gunk..... I pulled the no. 1 plug and found it wet with gas after experiment of a typical 2 min. short run to move it.

Blew 2 cans of gumout through the carb almost to stall with a couple of good full throttle pulls.... think I blew most of it out.

Running smoother, much more responsive to throttle and generally better today.

Getting a tank of non ethanol recreational gas to see if that has an effect.

Looking at insulating the fuel line over the block as it gets very hot...... (sort of defeats the whole Thermoquad theory of keeping the gas cooler)

D77C8F00-9DD2-458D-BE22-DB6D76A525AC.jpeg

Looking to also relocate the line out from over the valve cover.

Last edited:
That part of it looks right. It’s the rubber hose in between that looks wrong.

The carburetor feeds from underneath at the center rear. It’s a rubber hose connection. Then the hose goes to a steel line to make a 90 degree turn to the front. From there it goes back to rubber before meeting the steel line coming up between the alternator and the block from the fuel pump.

My other mopars have it all steel.

Last edited:
Back