Picked up a new daily driver...

DAMN. That is REALLY F'd up. Do you think the cops would take on the spot cash donations? Dudley do rights probably would not I bet. I know people I went to H/S with who were total "stoners" (smoked LOTS of dope, cut class, just flat out loosers). Since they could not get into college after H/S they are now walking around with gun and a badge. Yup, the irony.
No here in Ontario you need a degree to be a cop. Social Sciences will do nicely...

Believe it or not but here in Ontario Ministry of Environment officers sit out side car shows with cops. They pull over vehicles and check for those type of modifications. Apparently have nothing better to do ....
DAMN. That is REALLY F'd up. Do you think the cops would take on the spot cash donations? Dudley do rights probably would not I bet. I know people I went to H/S with who were total "stoners" (smoked LOTS of dope, cut class, just flat out loosers). Since they could not get into college after H/S they are now walking around with gun and a badge. Yup, the irony.
Don't forget, it's up there that they arrested a truck driver for smoking in his cab.

Posted via Topify on Android

Haven't been too active on here lately.. Been a fun couple weeks. I knew there was going to be a little metal work needed in the trunk of this thing. There are a couple pin holes in the upper trunk corners, which led to some rot. Last week I figured I'd spend the day off, and take care of it.

I yanked the carpet out, and found all this tar/insulation. I swear to god I pulled at least 75 pounds of this **** out of just the trunk. The *** end even raised a little bit once this stuff was out.

And of course what was hiding under it? No vehicle of mine can be rust free! Son of a *****!!!

Knowing how infamous these are for rotted out trunks, it had to come out. I'm petty sure they used tin foil for metal on these cars!

I didn't go crazy grinding the welds down. Just evened them up, and filled all pin holes. There were a few pin holes in the original metal I got lazy with, and just filled with weld.

Same thing on the passenger side....

I picked up some seam sealer, and re sealed all the original sealer I removed, and for extra insurance seamed all the new welds. Afterwards wire wheeled all the remaining rust, then primed any bare metal. I layed down a top coat of undercoating. I'm thinking off putting carpet back in to pretty it up again.. But not worried about it at the moment..

Zac great work, you and several others here have inspired me to take a run at metal work myself. Something I have always wanted to do.

I keep thinking " I wish I had taken welding in H.S. instead of automechanics ".

I should go take a local class or something but I never will

Well done Zac

Yes great car the 400 is really what makes this car and does it have the leather with the buckets. I have a friend that had 76 with the 400 he said it was garbage but he just bought a lemon. All makes have a few that come off the assembly line that have constant problems my aunt bought a 69 chevelle new and it was in the shop weekly and when she died i got it was straight 6 but i had problems , I think the Cordoba was one of nicest cars of the mid to late 70's

Great car to have as daily driver i wonder which of 400's were the more powerful the 77 Cordoba 77 Grand Prix 77 Olds 88 403 77 Buick Century 403 i'am not even gonna mention Fords but the other car I really like in 77 Pontiac Can Am they were cool and nice cars

Thanks guys! I'm so over metal work though! Haha

I could have used you about 28 years ago when the spring came through the trunk on my doba

Thats what I was afraid of. It was making its way up to the springs. But wasn't quite there yet.

Zac great work, you and several others here have inspired me to take a run at metal work myself. Something I have always wanted to do.

Mike, if I can do it anyone can! You'll do great at it.

I keep thinking " I wish I had taken welding in H.S. instead of automechanics ".

I should go take a local class or something but I never will

Well done Zac

I'd like to take a class as well, for a little more knowledge on it. Maybe some day in the future.

Yes great car the 400 is really what makes this car and does it have the leather with the buckets. I have a friend that had 76 with the 400 he said it was garbage but he just bought a lemon. All makes have a few that come off the assembly line that have constant problems my aunt bought a 69 chevelle new and it was in the shop weekly and when she died i got it was straight 6 but i had problems , I think the Cordoba was one of nicest cars of the mid to late 70's

She hasa cloth interior. I wouldn't call her a lemon yet lol. Just an old used car, that needs a bit of work. A little more then I anticipated.. But nothing too overwhelming.

The 400 runs good, but with the gearing out back, not going anywhere real quick!

I've GOT to learn how to weld. What's a good starting point for a guy with no welding experience whatsoever? What tools should a pure welding newbie start out with? Something small and low powered that I can't do too much damage with I'd think,lol.

Hoo boy, that's a question that's going to get a hundred different replies with 99 of them from experts.
1. Buy welder. Question: How much are you willing to spend just to learn and satisfy your itch? Pick a figure! Don't ask how much you SHOULD spend. Just pick a figure first.
2. This can wait until you answer 1.

Posted via Topify on Android

There is not one lie in that statement. I've got atleast a grand into metal working equipment. And that is the absolute bare basics.. Don't forget gas for the welder. I'd spend the little extra $$ on the lincoln 110 welder starter kit. Thats what I got at lowes for I believe around $250. Its a great little welder for this kind of work. Would need simething bigger for the heavier gauge stuff though...

Take a class first, it'll help you figure out what process you like to use. and in the long run it'll be cheaper than the trial and error method road I took.

There is not one lie in that statement. I've got atleast a grand into metal working equipment. And that is the absolute bare basics.. Don't forget gas for the welder. I'd spend the little extra $$ on the lincoln 110 welder starter kit. Thats what I got at lowes for I believe around $250. Its a great little welder for this kind of work. Would need simething bigger for the heavier gauge stuff though...
Is the starter outfit you have sufficient to do patches on frame members as well as sheet metal work?

I think it could do it, but it would be pushing the limits of it. The heviest I've welded so far is the inner rockers on the blumo. There is some heavy metal in there, but not sure if its frame rail gauge...

I need to weld some new metal in the leaf spring perch to the frame on thr blumo as well, but havn't tried it yet.

Back