Picked up a new daily driver...

When I took my Polara in a year ago the first guy did it in 20 minutes. Came out all happy and showed me the specs he got which were not the specs I gave him and were on the work order. Told the fellow at the pickup counter that they needed to do it again and he said they had no time. I said "I guess you did this one for free" and walked out. They were actually pretty stupid since I had bought four sets of tires from them in the recent past. They haven't seen me since as the next set came from another store.

The next place I gave them my specs and it took 90 minutes for it to get done. Here the mechanic came out and said it was hard getting close to the camber and caster I wanted, which I knew would be, but he did his best getting it as close as possible.

Do it yourself with a friend a case of beer 2 floor jacks and 2 jack stands and some string. Start with cams set rear all the way in, fronts all the way out. I have a 2' level that I put the bubble to the edge of the window to add negative camber. A plumb Bob and chalk to match up the caster side to side by dropping plumb Bob through ctr line of hub and ctr line of lower ball joint making a chalk market each these measurements need to be close. Run string out touching both sidewalls to set your toe, all done with weight on two jacks under lower control arms. That's a Really brief overview I'm sure there are you tube videos that will show what I'm talking about. A good shop is worth it and are great especially if they will listen when you want different specs, otherwise you get what Stan mentioned and not worth a $hit.

IMG_0394[1].jpg
You asked for a picture so here it is, Finally!!! Yep, She's twenty-footer (drivers side only) Passenger's side - not so much. This picture was taken when she broke down in front of a vintage/antique shop. Kinda' appropriate for a vintage car!She runs great for about 5-10 minutes then just quits. It has been sitting for 5 years or so. I have a carb repair kit and a new coil for the between-snow part of our year. Your car is looking great. I've found a locally owned alignment shop that was "Established 1983" so hopefully they will know what to do.

IMG_0394[1].jpg

Welcome to the forum! !

View attachment 47888
You asked for a picture so here it is, Finally!!! Yep, She's twenty-footer (drivers side only) Passenger's side - not so much. This picture was taken when she broke down in front of a vintage/antique shop. Kinda' appropriate for a vintage car!She runs great for about 5-10 minutes then just quits. It has been sitting for 5 years or so. I have a carb repair kit and a new coil for the between-snow part of our year. Your car is looking great. I've found a locally owned alignment shop that was "Established 1983" so hopefully they will know what to do.

Swapped out the old plastic clip on speedo gear, and housing for the more common gear, and housing. Installed a lower cable from a '74 charger with cruise, and everything went in easy peasy. Nice to have a speedo again! Now gotta get the cruise working. PO said there was a wire that needed to be soldered back on. Havn't looked into it yet. Then on to the A/C.

I might be leaning on ya again about the A/C Stan, if you don't mind lol.

The PO already did the normal retro fit kit from the parts stores. He said it would hold a charge for a while, and blow cold, but would eventually leak out. I'm hoping to just re gasket all the fittings, and leave it at that. Is there a master O ring kit for the system? Not looking to spend tons of $$ on it, just get it working if you know what I mean...

The old lady, and I took her out for a nice long trip last week to St. Augustine. Great weather for a cruise, and good time.

I'm not an expert, Zac. I lean heavily on a few other guys in here who baled me out. LOL,

Zac, I couldn't get a concensus from anyone here what size o-rings I needed and how many. They all said, I dunno, get a kit. Which kit? So I found a bazillion size kit for a dollar three eighty.

Buy the kit.
The one with about a bazillion sizes. You'll use 10 and will have a bazillion on the shelf.
Amazon and ebay. Just make sure it is not coming from China. You will get it next September

And damn, the dobe looks great!.

I'm not an expert, Zac. I lean heavily on a few other guys in here who baled me out. LOL,

Zac, I couldn't get a concensus from anyone here what size o-rings I needed and how many. They all said, I dunno, get a kit. Which kit? So I found a bazillion size kit for a dollar three eighty.

Buy the kit.
The one with about a bazillion sizes. You'll use 10 and will have a bazillion on the shelf.
Amazon and ebay. Just make sure it is not coming from China. You will get it next September

And damn, the dobe looks great!.

Sounds like a plan! Any, and all help is appreciated!

I'll get a big kit ordered here soon. Don't have much time! That FL heat is a coming quick!! Should I replace the drier, or will I be fine with the old one guys?

Thank you! I think she looks great as well, but she is a 20 footer.. lol

I would do everything mentioned here.....vac it down for 30 minutes. If it holds put freon in her....if not I would get your hoses rebuilt.

No I go down to the a/c shop and dump all the old ones on the counter. Then get sent to the shop to match them all up, and that is a lifetime supply.

Alright so..

O-ring kit
Drier
Expansion valve
Ester oil

Anything else??

After install, take to shop for vac test, then bring home to fill.

I looked into the Cruise Control today. I tested all the electronics, and all seems good. Servo is clicking as it should. Sooo I'm gonna assume the diaphram inside the servo has a hole. Been looking around online. Looks like I may be able to repair it with a rubber patch kit. Havn't opened it up yet though.

Thanks guys!!

Back