What's your Daily Driver?

Sounds bad :/ I like it tho.

The sedans are the least valuable versions over here, but due to its age and the possibility to register it as a historical signifient car, the prices are rising already. But that's not why I bought it. I just like the shape and the kind its driving. It's a solid feeling like driving a tank ;)

They are very heavy for their size and well built automobiles, I personally would have liked another one that was a little newer with the 104 engine, but after leaving the dealer network, parts prices will keep me away. Here the dealer knows parts are hard to find, and they all put a ridiculous mark up on stuff, I know the wholesaler's but it's still not cheap.

10 years ago I would just go to the dealership at lunch and park in the service manager's spot with the Roadmaster. We would negotiate my part discount before I would move, after he left the new guy just wasn't any fun... he just wanted to call the cops and evict me.

The brand devalued itself here several years ago, in the effort to increase volume of sales and reduce costs they started to play around with a rock solid warranty and customer service. I once replaced a 400k mile car's ABS HCU under warranty due to the owner being a loyal customer, nobody does that anymore. They really lost me over the spring perch failures on the 210 models... I got jerked around asking about it for a couple years before I took the car off the road and ultimately traded it in to a lot I knew would auction it as salvage.

The class action lawsuit they forced by not acknowledging their crankshaft pulley's failures (112,113 engines) drove away lots of customers too. I left the dealer in 2005, I miss it sometimes, but now I am as much out of date as the cars I worked on. I dont believe the quality of technician has improved since I left, in fact many good ones I know also left as the brand reduced warranty times here.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why many call the w124 the last "true" Benz.

I got it dirt cheap and thought I could have some fun with it. Otherwise, I would've never bought it. There is no interest in the newer models except the new S65 AMG Coupe or convertible. But at a price of $300k, this is another story ;)

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 and a 1994 Chevy Caprice wagon

IMG_4716.JPG
IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

They are very heavy for their size and well built automobiles, I personally would have liked another one that was a little newer with the 104 engine, but after leaving the dealer network, parts prices will keep me away. Here the dealer knows parts are hard to find, and they all put a ridiculous mark up on stuff, I know the wholesaler's but it's still not cheap.

10 years ago I would just go to the dealership at lunch and park in the service manager's spot with the Roadmaster. We would negotiate my part discount before I would move, after he left the new guy just wasn't any fun... he just wanted to call the cops and evict me.

The brand devalued itself here several years ago, in the effort to increase volume of sales and reduce costs they started to play around with a rock solid warranty and customer service. I once replaced a 400k mile car's ABS HCU under warranty due to the owner being a loyal customer, nobody does that anymore. They really lost me over the spring perch failures on the 210 models... I got jerked around asking about it for a couple years before I took the car off the road and ultimately traded it in to a lot I knew would auction it as salvage.

The class action lawsuit they forced by not acknowledging their crankshaft pulley's failures (112,113 engines) drove away lots of customers too. I left the dealer in 2005, I miss it sometimes, but now I am as much out of date as the cars I worked on. I dont believe the quality of technician has improved since I left, in fact many good ones I know also left as the brand reduced warranty times here.

Driving a W126 560SEL as winter car myself. Together with W124 and W211, last generation possible to maintain myself combined with MB quality without risking computer/electronics failure and related costs. Mine has done 340.000 km and apart from regular rebuild/maintenance, I had to replace the ignition ECU. 70 EUR from scrapyard....

Rebuilt front suspension, some brake/fuel lines, replace front wings (rust) and little else. Engine (300 bhp) still pulling strong, uses no oil between oil changes, gearbox without issues etc. Good working car.

You mention spring perch failures on W210. Here in Sweden, the rust killed W210/W220 completely. MB had to fix them under warranty in 3-6 years from new, and refused rust issues returning after those 6 years. My father-in-law had his S500 -00 fixed under warranty twice (door bottoms etc), just to see the rust return outside warranty, and then MB refused to settle. They have never come back as quality brand after that.

then MB refused to settle. They have never come back as quality brand after tha

Don't feel bad 05-06 Dodge trucks here are on their second beds from rust, doors and fenders are following right along. Ten year old vehicle with flappy rusted doors and bed sides and bad engines its amazing to me that anybody is rushing in to buy a $50,000 Ram at this point.

Driving a W126 560SEL as winter car myself. Together with W124 and W211, last generation possible to maintain myself combined with MB quality without risking computer/electronics failure and related costs. Mine has done 340.000 km and apart from regular rebuild/maintenance, I had to replace the ignition ECU. 70 EUR from scrapyard....

Rebuilt front suspension, some brake/fuel lines, replace front wings (rust) and little else. Engine (300 bhp) still pulling strong, uses no oil between oil changes, gearbox without issues etc. Good working car.

You mention spring perch failures on W210. Here in Sweden, the rust killed W210/W220 completely. MB had to fix them under warranty in 3-6 years from new, and refused rust issues returning after those 6 years. My father-in-law had his S500 -00 fixed under warranty twice (door bottoms etc), just to see the rust return outside warranty, and then MB refused to settle. They have never come back as quality brand after that.

They ruined themselves IMO... Prior to them denying all responsibility, they were known for taking care of original owners. Some bean counting gone wrong and I expect they will be paying for it in lost customers... But the $100k club doesn't keep them long enough for it to matter to most of them. How is your W211? When they released here... what a fuster cluck. The electronics in that one should scare away the do it your selfer pretty good. 2004 and up were better... but I jumped ship in 2005.

Don't feel bad 05-06 Dodge trucks here are on their second beds from rust, doors and fenders are following right along. Ten year old vehicle with flappy rusted doors and bed sides and bad engines its amazing to me that anybody is rushing in to buy a $50,000 Ram at this point.
To be honest, as fast as they depreciate... I am a little surprised when someone buys one new. I suppose if you plan to keep it forever, but if you want to trade in down the road... I don't like the numbers. Doesn't matter... I don't buy new anyhow.

Haven't driven my 78 NYB for the last month while getting bodywork done. It's killing me!

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago. 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5S, with CVT, and pretty well-loaded up. I like it! It has 83K miles. I'm the third owner. Probably put some nice wheels on it and drive!
nissan3.jpeg
nissan5.jpg

Nope, sorry, no Fast and Furious going on here.

They say "you notice on the road what you own!", and that is so true. At the intersection yesterday, I counted NINE Altimas awaiting the light, and two were black like mine. So, yeah, I see me coming down the road quite a bit! And when I drive my wife's Dakota, I see a bunch of '97 - '04 Dakotas out running around!

Truthfully right now gas mileage isn't that big of a deal for me. But I'm sort of halfway planning for when gas goes back up. And I kind of like the looks of the new Civic coupe, and it isn't too slow for me either.

The GTO is really tempting though, I'm just worried about how a previous owner might have treated it.

Was just in the new Civic of someone I work with. Big! That was a surprise as I had an 80 wagon and this is bigger than Accords of old. Nice car overall but I do detest the center console. It was occupied by a flat screen that controlled everything from heater/ac controls to the radio and anything else. I'm sorry but I want the standard three dials to control temp, fan and mode. Those work forever while I'm not sure the screen will. She even got a secondary insurance policy, through Honda, to cover screen issues. I took the car off the list for the wife unless it were and older Civic like 2013.

Was just in the new Civic of someone I work with. Big! That was a surprise as I had an 80 wagon and this is bigger than Accords of old. Nice car overall but I do detest the center console. It was occupied by a flat screen that controlled everything from heater/ac controls to the radio and anything else. I'm sorry but I want the standard three dials to control temp, fan and mode. Those work forever while I'm not sure the screen will. She even got a secondary insurance policy, through Honda, to cover screen issues. I took the car off the list for the wife unless it were and older Civic like 2013.
Really? I just test drove one last week and thought it was really small. Smaller than my Golf at least. Which as the days go by resembles a small van more and more.

I agree though, the center console and touch screen were total garbage. I'm not one to be wowed by bells and whistles so I wasn't very impressed. The car itself handled great, it flew through sharp turns and was over all very fun to drive. A bit slower than I expected though. My Fury actually feels quite a bit faster, I'm not sure if that's actually the case though.

Another major complaint I have is the electronic parking brake. What is that doing on a car like the Civic EX-T? Oh and the CVT was pretty much terrible, it's probably holding the car back from really being fast. Which is why I'm waiting until the manual comes out in the fall to start seriously considering it.

Really? I just test drove one last week and thought it was really small. Smaller than my Golf at least. Which as the days go by resembles a small van more and more.

1986 Accord: 102.3" wheelbase and 174" length

2016 Civic: 106.3" wheelbase and 182" length

My 1980 Civic wagon: 91.3" wheelbase and 157.3" length

So, yes, I thought the new Civic was big.

My '93 D150...3.9 V6...107K on the clock. Runs very well...just got 18.9 MPG last tank. It's stripped, but I love it!

front drivers.jpg

There is what I think is an '09 or '10 around town that has rust above the rear wheels and tailgate.Amazing!

2016 honda accord lx 4dr 6spd manual bare bones no options. i test drove 2009 civic and it seemed just to small. after driving accords to work for the past 13 years the civic felt like driving my ranger after getting out of my super duty.

My daily driver...2014 BMW 328 x-drive. She is a company car and the lease is up at Christmas. great winter car, goes through snow like it's not even there. very surefooted, comfy and fast for a bi-turbo 4-banger!!

Photo0401.jpg

Back