For Sale 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, I was holding the splitting hairs quote in my pocket as a rebuttal myself . The Highback buckets are the most comfortable automobile seats ever made . The base 71/2 Monaco/Polara / Fury seat is amazing but yeah, I guess its minimal. The dash on the Chrysler is O.K. but the sweeping speedometer is mediocre to me, which Is one reason for my love affair with the 71 Dodge, it is the complete package minus the droptop option

I disagree that the 300 is the only comp to the Fury as stated . Why not the Polara ?
I was running with the comment Samplingman made, which was about the 300.
Dodges don't enter my mind too much for some reason, probably because I've mostly only owned Furys and 300s. And a lone Dippy AHB.
But yes, a 440HP-powered Polara/Monaco would be comparable.

I was running with the comment Samplingman made, which was about the 300.
Dodges don't enter my mind too much for some reason, probably because I've mostly only owned Furys and 300s. And a lone Dippy AHB.
But yes, a 440HP-powered Polara/Monaco would be comparable.

Comparing a 440 Plymouth to a 440 Dodge,

Much like a road runner to a super Bee

Sorry Dave, I respectfully disagree.

A fully OEM restored Sport Fury GT would be $40-45k asking.

For whatever it is worth, the June 2017 (vol 39 no3) "Old Cars Report" price guide lists these cars as follows:

#6 $ 930
#5 2800
#4 4660
#3 10490
#2 16310
#1 23300

Says to add 60% for 390hp.

They have a website at www.oldcarsreport.com Have to be a subscriber to get any useful information, but it is inexpensive, $28.98 for one year.

Dave

I have to wonder how many transactions of condition number 1 or even number 2 SFGTs have shown up on the open market in the last few years at least so these folks could accurately track the prices and factor them into their calculations? That is probably one of the best sites out there for tracking realistic prices of collector vehicles (the other notable one being Collector Car Values, Profiles and Auctions Results at Collector Car Market Review), and they comport well with each other, but I also wonder how up to date some of the numbers are for rare vehicles such as the SFGTs. The condition guide at least for the vmrintl. site is very stringent:

Collector Car Market Review
Condition Guidelines

These are condition guidelines to help assess a vehicle's condition. Keep in mind that there are many factors that affect value. For example, a "barn find" may on the surface look like a #4 or #5 vehicle, but it's time capsule character often means it is worth far more than it's condition would normally warrant.

#1 Excellent: A close to perfect original or a very well restored vehicle. Generally a body-off restoration, but a well done body-on restoration that has been extensively detailed may qualify. The vehicle is stunning to look at and any flaws are trivial and not readily apparent. Everything works as new. All equipment is original, NOS, or excellent quality reproductions. Note: cost no object concours restorations should be considered 1+ condition.

#2 Very Good: An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas (chassis not required) have been fully detailed. Beautiful to look at but clearly below a #1 vehicle.

#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.

#5 Poor: In need of complete restoration, but is complete and not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run. Not roadworthy.

Parts or Salvage: Incomplete vehicle most useful for parts. Generally, take 50-60% of the #5 value

Will and I recently had this disagreement. Too many variables happening with our cars and not enough honest reported sales to compare them. Price guides are BS

Will and I recently had this disagreement. Too many variables happening with our cars and not enough honest reported sales to compare them. Price guides are BS
They're "guides"... AFAIAC they help the masses without research to find a starting point. Other than that, I agree... a total waste IMO.

Yeah I get what theyre called but a guide should be fairly accurate. They are not. Then again what is your tolerance for under or overvaluation on a guide?
Again, to many variations in options and colors that play a part with too few recorded sales to be accurate ....

I'm done.................

For whatever it is worth, the June 2017 (vol 39 no3) "Old Cars Report" price guide lists these cars as follows:

#6 $ 930
#5 2800
#4 4660
#3 10490
#2 16310
#1 23300

Says to add 60% for 390hp.

They have a website at www.oldcarsreport.com Have to be a subscriber to get any useful information, but it is inexpensive, $28.98 for one year.

Dave

With a '71 GT needing a total restoration selling for $7500 we know that the price guide is way off. I can't see anyone selling a restored GT for less than $30k and I know of one that the owner wants twice that to sell his rare low option '71 GT.

Back to the OP, I think that $10-$15k is not really a bad starting point (considering what's included), if you really need to have a SFGT. This one will never "just be put back together to drive", but most likely go through some form of extensive restoration. If you do it yourself or pay someone else, you will always have a winner because people value the SFGT more than any other C, not just on styling (which I disagree with, LOL), but because of the crossover factor. There is competition for these cars with the Rapid Transit crowd over in the A, B and E body arena. Believe me, a lot more cash is floating around there than most of us could ever imagine spending on a C.

Rapid Transit crowd over in the A, B and E body arena.
If there were more than a few people in that group that absolutely had to have one I'd be surprised. In that league they'd likely be more inclined to buy one mostly finished. Add that group to a hand full here and maybe another handful in Europe that doesn't amount to much of a market. Someone asking more than 30K even for a nice example will wait a long time. My .02

#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.
Hello, Mr Old Cars Report Price Guide. For $10,490, I'll take 1 Sport Fury GT in #3 condition, please. :steering:

You'd think Hemmings would be a little more knowledgable, but I guess it's an example of how you can know a lot of things, but you can't know everything.

Yeah,
You'd think Hemmings would be a little more knowledgable, but I guess it's an example of how you can know a lot of things, but you can't know everything.

It is published six times a year, so one would think it would be up to date. I guessing the market is too thin for them to get a whole lot of data. With only an estimated 60-65 total SFGT cars left, there probably is not a whole lot of sales points to evaluate.

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back