C-Body Holy Grail Restoration Starts Here; 1970 6BBL GT

That 727 casting number must be one of the rarest. Cuda donor?

For sure it's a rare transmission. I don't know what its out of. It's likely out of a Cuda or Charger...but the VIN pad is blank,..and it came from Georgia...which is where the 6BBL came from...so there is a possibility....I'm checking with other Fury GT 6BBL owners about their transmission VIN's.

Last edited:
Yep, the seller knew exactly what it was. It was not cheap at all, but it was exactly the car needed.

A few of you might call me crazy for the cost, but the car is better with it than without it!
I was only hoping that maybe you got lucky and saved a bit. In fact I think what you are doing is very admirable. The car is being done the right way which is exactly what it deserves.

With seeing what you've done with other cars, I'm looking forward to seeing this one done.
C's deserve the same respect as A, B & E, but I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

With seeing what you've done with other cars, I'm looking forward to seeing this one done.
C's deserve the same respect as A, B & E, but I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

Thanks man!

We could all have a bit of r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

C body guys were the "odd man" out for a long time. It seems in the last few years attitudes have changed. When I got into MoPar, the full size cars were always the most impressive to me, sans a Daytona, or Superbird or Hemi powered anything including Imperials.

Last edited:
C Boy's typically used a 12" torque converter whereas a Hemi car used a special 11" converter. It may take some research and time with the parts book to see what converter was used.

I took these a few months ago.. the dash, heater box, and frame removed, all clips and fasteners documented and removed. Original VIN tag removed and verified! Baby steps but moving onward.
IMG_5406.JPG
IMG_5408.JPG
IMG_5410.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG

wow.
The VIN tag is a misprint.
They forgot to stamp the "V" (for the 440+6 engine).

So you own one of the most rare cars but anyone with knowledge looking at your VIN can't see the major difference compared to the other Furys

Carsten

wow.
The VIN tag is a misprint.
They forgot to stamp the "V" (for the 440+6 engine).

So you own one of the most rare cars but anyone with knowledge looking at your VIN can't see the major difference compared to the other Furys

Carsten

Carsten,....that's true...until they look at the hood, or I open the hood! 440-6BBL!

It's a VIN "sleeper"!

Wow , didn,t noticed that..... is that a bummer.........or not !?
No fendertag or windowsticker i guess...?

Wow , didn,t noticed that..... is that a bummer.........or not !?
No fendertag or windowsticker i guess...?

Its not a bummer because he has every other piece of documentation that you could want - go back and look at his first post in this thread. This VIN issue is an anomaly, but one that generates considerable interest because not only is the car so rare, so is a mistake like this! I am very excited for Trev and want to see the car done someday as much as anyone else. It will generate enormous interest throughout the mopar world and outside too, which is good for all of us.

Last edited:
i located the original owner and he had kept all the original paperwork..WINDOW STICKER, ORDER SHEET, FINANCING, TRADE IN etc.. so its the most documented V code in existence..

I'm eating lots of crow seeing as I didn't give this car a prayer 5 years ago.
But that's also when it was for sale for $85,000.00 :rolleyes:

The original owner Rod Kessler contacted Dan after seeing the car in Hemmings Motor News. Dan kept his contact information and passed it along to me with the sale. Mr. Kessler gave Dan copies of ALL the paper work. After buying the car from Dan, I spoke with Mr. Kessler about acquiring the original paper work for the 6BBL. He was a very cool guy and happily sent me ALL the ORIGINAL PAPER WORK for the 6BBL Fury.

How cool is that?

Dan found the original fender tag, (amazing) and went to heroic lengths to get it back from the guy who took it off the car 35 (?) years ago. Dan could tell us.

All the credit goes to Dan.

So to be clear, the car has All the original paper work, invoice, window sticker, Broadcast Sheet, original fender tag, door sticker, VIN tag, and all body numbers match. The engine and transmission, intake carbs, radiator, wiper motor etc., etc, etc., are the correct date coded parts and a completely correct for the the SPD of the car.

The parts car for the restoration was built the same month, so everything is going to be as close as I can get it.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Just curious, does the car have a title? If so, does it use the correct V, or does it go by the VIN? Should be fun if you don't have one....

Just curious, does the car have a title? If so, does it use the correct V, or does it go by the VIN? Should be fun if you don't have one....

The VIN is correct it always has been. Everything but the dash tag has the V code on it.

Its not a bummer because he has every other piece of documentation that you could want - go back and look at his first post in this thread. This VIN issue is an anomaly, but one that generates considerable interest because not only is the car so rare, so is a mistake like this! I am very excited for Trev and want to see the car done someday as much as anyone else. It will generate enormous interest throughout the mopar world and outside too, which is good for all of us.

Thanks for the encouragement Steve, and everyone else, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation ........feeling much better now..:)
( Best car/color/engine mopar ever!!!! )
I hope i will see it someday in Carlisle.....:thumbsup:

Back