General A727 Potential R&R questions/suggestions.

That is a slap on the nose for sure. Probably pretty tough to find a 361 block laying around. I dont know how cherry your whole car is, but there was a member with a complete and beautiful fresh 361 a little while ago. Im thinking he was selling it. Ill do a search.....may have been fbbo too....

Found it....you could PM the guy.

Last edited:
That is a slap on the nose for sure. Probably pretty tough to find a 361 block laying around. I dont know how cherry your whole car is, but there was a member with a complete and beautiful fresh 361 a little while ago. Im thinking he was selling it. Ill do a search.....may have been fbbo too....

Found it....you could PM the guy.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Thank you for the tip off, I'll definitely strongly consider getting the engine from the gentleman.

The car is pretty clean, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... the engine burns a tad of oil (older photo) but the 361 was just enough of a motor to get me up and out of the way, and just enough power to potentially get me into trouble!
361's are damn fine engines.

I'll probably at a later date, patch the crack with the best of my ability then shelf it, then swap to another engine.

the last thing I need is the engine to completely fail then the car becomes a rolling body where it might be seen as a "parts car"

PXL_20230922_235540095.jpg

PXL_20230923_000302855~2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the tip off, I'll definitely strongly consider getting the engine from the gentleman.

The car is pretty clean, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... the engine burns a tad of oil (older photo) but the 361 was just enough of a motor to get me up and out of the way, and just enough power to potentially get me into trouble!
361's are damn fine engines.

I'll probably at a later date, patch the crack with the best of my ability then shelf it, then swap to another engine.

the last thing I need is the engine to completely fail then the car becomes a rolling body where it might be seen as a "parts car"

View attachment 663239

View attachment 663240
My cousin repaired a hole in the block of his wife’s Chrysler 300. My point is that you can repair it!

My cousin repaired a hole in the block of his wife’s Chrysler 300. My point is that you can repair it!
Very encouraging to hear the block can be repaired with a success story.
I've been looking around on various methods on repairing the block, from shadetree methods ranging from JB weld, all the way to pin/metal stitching. I think the company was named
"Lock-N-Stitch"

Just need to save up funds on gathering the tools to start repairing the block sooner or later.

In general its the best way to repair cast iron. You can do it yourself. There are several vendors selling the kits.
Yes sir, I've been finding vids on block repair with the Lock-N-Stitch, seems like a very good repair from the looks of it!

Last edited:
Yes sir, I've been finding vids on block repair with the Lock-N-Stitch, seems like a very good repair from the looks of it!
In work, all of the heavy industrial cast iron repairs I have seen were Lock-N-Stitch technology and it was considered a permanent repair.

In work, all of the heavy industrial cast iron repairs I have seen were Lock-N-Stitch technology and it was considered a permanent repair.
At this point, I'm sold on Lock-N-Stitch, figure if I can repair the block with the engine in place, while removing the steering components out of the way to gain more working access to the cracked area of the block.

I might have been a bit hasty in casting off the engine off so soon...

Ok, so aside from the block being cracked and needing to be pin stitched together.

I managed to get another Flexplate that substantially looks more beefier than the stock/silver aftermarket Flexplate.

It's SFI 29.1 rated for 3 years, let's be honest, not that I have any intention on replacing the flex plate after 3 years.

PXL_20240531_000336161.jpg

PXL_20240531_000343760.jpg

PXL_20240531_000355898.jpg

FYI: Just mocking the Flexplate into place, it will come back off when it gets bolted to the crankshaft first!

I was holding my breath on weather the Flexplate bolts holes were going to lineup with the crank bolt holes, no problem here!

PXL_20240531_002301845.jpg

PXL_20240531_002311285.jpg

PXL_20240531_000417347.jpg

PXL_20240531_000421429.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so aside from the block being cracked and needing to be pin stitched together.

I managed to get another Flexplate that substantially looks more beefier than the stock/silver aftermarket Flexplate.

It's SFI 29.1 rated for 3 years, let's be honest, not that I have any intention on replacing the flex plate after 3 years.

View attachment 663652

View attachment 663653

View attachment 663654

FYI: Just mocking the Flexplate into place, it will come back off when it gets bolted to the crankshaft first!

I was holding my breath on weather the Flexplate bolts holes were going to lineup with the crank bolt holes, no problem here!

View attachment 663657

View attachment 663658

View attachment 663659

View attachment 663660
That looks great! Much better choice!

So a few days passed, I have got the valve body rooster comb detent gear selector adjusted, the engine cranks only in Neutral/park. and doesn't crank in any gears.

I've confirmed and marked the offset Torque converter/Flexplate bolt holes ahead of time to ensure everything is all lined up when the transmission is tucked under the transmission tunnel.

Pictures:
The gear selection is in Neutral and the Rooster comb "finger" is centered on the neutral safety switch.

The transmission before seeing many more years of service.

The filter/valve body before putting the pan on

Transmission on the jack, ready to be installed.

The crack in the block... That's for another day to tackle that job/fix.

1 step forward, 2 steps backwards, just like clockwork.

Screenshot_20240611-005637.png

PXL_20240611_014538531.jpg

PXL_20240611_021508701.jpg

PXL_20240531_214036823.jpg

PXL_20240531_214309758.jpg

PXL_20240529_022604916~2.jpg

When you get it put back together, fill it with water and drive it around the neighborhood, get it warmed up, and see if that crack leaks, it might not leak all the time?

When you get it put back together, fill it with water and drive it around the neighborhood, get it warmed up, and see if that crack leaks, it might not leak all the time?
You know that's the thing, I only discovered the crack after I wiped some of the surface grease off of the block.

May have been cracked all this time when I was daily driving and I was non the wiser.

Metals expand with heat. If it's 'one piece', it expands outward in all directions.
But with a split in it, it still expands outward. So the material on both sides of the crack seemingly would be expanding toward each other, to try to close it.
But the block is also expanding to become taller/longer.
So only reality will tell us.

I also wonder if you drilled a 1/32 hole at the end of the crack (to stop its progression) if there is some new space-age goo that could seal up the crack.
Somethign akin to driveway crack sealer but chemical-resistant and flexes with heat.
Might be a easier to attempt this than the lock-stitch, which will be time-consuming.

I have a 383 in the garage that has a similar crack. It was rebuilt prior to me getting it ~30 years ago. I'm starting to re-think that one!

Metals expand with heat. If it's 'one piece', it expands outward in all directions.
But with a split in it, it still expands outward. So the material on both sides of the crack seemingly would be expanding toward each other, to try to close it.
But the block is also expanding to become taller/longer.
So only reality will tell us.

I also wonder if you drilled a 1/32 hole at the end of the crack (to stop its progression) if there is some new space-age goo that could seal up the crack.
Somethign akin to driveway crack sealer but chemical-resistant and flexes with heat.
Might be a easier to attempt this than the lock-stitch, which will be time-consuming.

I have a 383 in the garage that has a similar crack. It was rebuilt prior to me getting it ~30 years ago. I'm starting to re-think that one!
I will admit whole heartedly, I was considering just stuffing the crack with JB weld of sorts and if that doesn't leak. So be it.

The Lock-N-Stitch is a good fix no doubt, I may consider that more strongly once other avenues fail at closing the crack/leak.

I've seen on the classified ads online and have found some 383's with a smaller similar crack like the one you spoke of, Chrysler big blocks can never escape the clutches of freeze crack! Unless drained properly, preventative maintainence and what not.

If you run it without fixing it, it will likely grow. You always drill holes at the ends of the crack to stop it from growing.

If you run it without fixing it, it will likely grow. You always drill holes at the ends of the crack to stop it from growing.
Agreed, going to clean up the block a bit more as right now the crack looks like it has spread to the other core plug, albeit a hairline crack.

Drill holes, As in drill at the end of the crack as in drilling through to the other side of the water jacket?

Just asking for clarification.

Back