78 NYB Holley Sniper install.. the end of my lean burn fun

Tranny came in.

9578AE6F-3660-484A-B271-7AD934F0382E.jpeg

Just able to bolt it in at the end of the day. Should be connected up by tomorrow.
9E2ACFB3-B72A-423A-A68B-A2EDD9E30D76.jpeg

Other side
4DF81154-6B95-4328-A1F1-DF9263FCF54E.jpeg

Fan ready to come out and be replaced. Also vacuum out the housing to get rid of dirt and leaves. Can you say…. **** load? I even had a Covid mask and a paper towel wrapped around the fan hub. Pretty sure it was killing the fan’s ability to blow.
A40CB34D-738B-4F4F-B197-8B42175E5DAF.jpeg

Couldn’t help myself…..

Last edited:
It had to be done.
Now do the other one.
And why not the whole engine compartment while you're at it....
Soon.

Lots of overspray from the rustproofing on the wheel inner fenders that I’ve been taking off a bit at a time.

After 46 years in the engine’s heat, it’s like concrete.

I spray wd40 on it and been removing it a bit at a time.

It was all over the outer fenders under the hood and radiator support and fire wall as well. Those ares mostly came off during the repaint. Was trying to save the paint as much as possible. Outer fenders were painted to their inner edges. Radiator support was cleaned. Firewall uupper part was cleaned. Lower areas of firewall still left to do.

It’ll look clean and stock when done.

Last edited:
Soon.

Lots of overspray from the rustproofing on the wheel inner fenders that I’ve been taking off a bit at a time.

After 46 years in the engine’s heat, it’s like concrete.

I spray wd40 on it and been removing it a bit at a time.

It was all over the outer fenders under the hood and radiator support and fire wall as well. Those ares mostly came off during the repaint. Was trying to save the paint as much as possible. Outer fenders were painted to their inner edges. Radiator support was cleaned. Firewall uupper part was cleaned. Lower areas of firewall still left to do.

It’ll look clean and stock when done.
A needle scaler knocks the hard under coating off quickly.

Some more progress today.

Installed drivers side wiper arm (see other thread under restoration)

Reinstalled passenger side inner fender. Forgot to test lubed antenna. Will do so tomorrow before it’s fully bolted in.

Secret project had first part installed.

Drive shaft and new trans mount are in.

More to come.

A few pictures to share.

836CEC02-46AB-4B3F-81DD-F27D6DF73191.jpeg

9A03A52D-FEDD-4D7F-A5C9-E58D864C7B8F.jpeg

Looks so nice I’m having the other one done now…..

Damn you STAN!

You’re my biggest fan John! You always like my posts in the first hour of me putting them up….. thanks! Nice to know somebody out there is actually reading the **** I put up.

but…. I think you need a better hobby…. LOL.

I still owe you a phone call to thank you for the air cleaner lid. It straightened out nicely with a bit of patience.

Part of the reason for the under coat/ sound deadener is for road/tire noise and stone chips and dings.

Part of the reason for the under coat/ sound deadener is for road/tire noise and stone chips and dings.
When I was 16, I got my first job at a Toyota dealership. I worked first as a wash boy, then as a service car mover, and finally in Pre Delivery and inspection. Here we did things like swap out the original beautiful cast aluminum rims for these cheapo Carol Shelby ugly ones, installed A/C units in base model corollas and undercoating/rustproofing. By far the last was the worst. Dealer made a killing on these and other “upgrades”. (Anyone remember polyglycoat?)

So yeah it does help with the sound. That’s why the factory did it.

This car was rustproofed to death. I’m just cleaning it up.

Last edited:
Lately, I’ve got the feeling I had when I was a kid and I had started too many model kits/projects at the same time.

I call it FOLP…. Fear of loosing parts and not being able to finish one of them.

Besides spending an hour or two at the shop doing and checking what’s being done every other day or so, there are take home projects I take home for later (after dinner and my walk with my bride). An hour or two more at times over a day or three in my little shop of horrors ( girls name for my packed garage). Ordering misc parts for the collection or just sorting the parts I have so I can remember and get at them.

It’s all fun for me but it is work and I go to bed tired… good tired…..having accomplished something. Even if what I did is of truly questionable value to anyone but me and, perhaps, those who read what I put down here.

It’s great to be able to share with those who actually, possibly give a ****.

Lately, I’ve got the feeling I had when I was a kid and I had started too many model kits/projects at the same time.

I call it FOLP…. Fear of loosing parts and not being able to finish one of them.

Besides spending an hour or two at the shop doing and checking what’s being done every other day or so, there are take home projects I take home for later (after dinner and my walk with my bride). An hour or two more at times over a day or three in my little shop of horrors ( girls name for my packed garage). Ordering misc parts for the collection or just sorting the parts I have so I can remember and get at them.

It’s all fun for me but it is work and I go to bed tired… good tired…..having accomplished something. Even if what I did is of truly questionable value to anyone but me and, perhaps, those who read what I put down here.

It’s great to be able to share with those who actually, possibly give a ****.
I'm going to clean my garage this weekend, I've scattered too many parts across it to remember just what I have. It will be fun finding parts I was looking for last year, it's long overdue for a reorganization.

Progress today….

And a new client brought in this sorry *** excuse for a “t bucket”. Would like Ivan to finish it for him. I said “Finish it?, I think he means start over and finish it more likely”.
I told Ivan to get a fat retainer on 30k worth of labor plus parts. And pray.
FFD53322-AB56-4836-9DDF-81C41189E354.jpeg

Notice that the spindles are backward. Just a start of what I saw wrong.
9754B6E5-D54D-4D9C-AB95-4C4D23F2962D.jpeg

Good news…. A/c is back on line….. only cost me a bloody knuckle.
B347455C-3AA9-4184-9332-7CBBDCD1D3DC.jpeg

Bad news is one of the more helpful minions couldn’t figure out where the power feed for the compressor was. So he took apart the dash….. instead of asking.
When I got there I first had a grand-mal fit…. Then I figured it out.

Another hour and a half I’m not getting back.

I had left the power feed from the control unit to the compressor wiring off to verify it was the blue wire with white tracer. But it was neatly wrapped up and they didn’t see it or think that was it.

Not completely their fault (except for not calling) as I had put a direct power relay for the compressor in…. which was not stock but also bloomin obvious! It is activated by the original source. This source, which came through the low pressure switch, had an added freeze protecting thermo switch on the expansion coil in series.

Double damn.

Ivan said he was out all morning and that it was the reason for not calling me (and was about to when I walked in) and….. not to worry about it on my bill.

I also skinned the crap of a knuckle in the process.

On another note… last weekend also saw progress on an unrelated but Mopar centric project…. Much to Stan’s chagrin…

6C720F57-D65D-4C59-9199-4F9EAF5651CA.jpeg

Update on the pull off Thermoquad for the road runner. Came together really well. The throttle shafts are tight and super smooth.

DF6C1627-AB10-4338-BC1B-2F6EA6020287.jpeg

Even a lot of the original cad plating was there.
C3578431-3619-46C0-900A-F38C7A26727F.jpeg

Screw heads were not all mangled and threads clean.
95BEE9ED-8F35-4086-ABA1-F2EBF3F0B723.jpeg

Wrapped it up in bubble wrap and Saran Wrap and will keep it as a spare until I need it. Original needs a new throttle plate but this was too good to just use it for parts.

My original is working well enough for now but is definitely leaking air… so….soon enough.

Last edited:
More progress:

HVAC system charged and fully operational. System took just over two pounds of Freon. Perfect.

21588767-E85E-456D-8E06-C25DE6A998BB.jpeg

No leaks and return line is good and sweaty! Output temp is 39 degrees with outside temp at 81. Delta of 42 degrees at idle is very acceptable. I’m sure it will be even cooler at higher RPM and with the car moving more air through the condenser.

After a bit, when it cools down, the evaporator coil thermostat starts to cycle the compressor…. As designed.
EB52144D-A05C-4F99-9184-0144A05F0F7E.jpeg

At the expansion block, it’s even colder.

Final sorting and arranging of wiring in process and being recorded into the FSM for future reference of the shop… and me. You can see beginning of that started two weeks ago next to the expansion block.

The un-used Lean Burn ignition harness has been completely removed. It will never return now.

Secret project well underway. Parts assembly, Fabrication and pre-installation infrastructure completed. Finishes and misc items in process. Stay tuned for the big reveal. This will definitely be one of one …or at least…very few.

Last edited:
Secret project well underway. Parts assembly, Fabrication and pre-installation infrastructure completed. Finishes and misc items in process. Stay tuned for the big reveal. This will definitely be one of one …or at least…very few.
Shaker hood scoop...

Back